• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ROM Hacking Tutoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megiddo-san

Barium - Summer '12 Return?
    Years
    Username/Internet Alias: megiddo

Real Name or Nickname that you go by: Adam
    Means of contact (preferably a Live/MSN account; although e-mail is just as good): [email protected]

What you are interested in Tutoring for: Advanced Scripting
    Proof of Work: Check out my signature and www.youtube.com/user/100Xshinekamehameha

Timezone: US Mountain GMT -7

What times you can be tutoring (day, time): All week, 8:00 - 9:00

Interests: Anime, Video Games, Computers, Outdoors

Graduation? (If you have graduated from another Tutor, please note that here so I may confirm): Nope.

How many students can you handle at once? (one to three; if you can only take on one at a time, that is perfectly fine): One.

ZakZ

Banned
    Years
    I have not been here for a week but is there anyway I could get Tutoring earlier?
    if this helps any

Username/Internet Alias:ZakZ
    Real Name or Nickname that you go by:Alex
    Means of contact (preferably a Live/MSN account, although email is just as good)[email protected]
    What you are interested in learning:Basic and advance scripting
    Timezone:CST
    What times you can be tutored (day, time) [please include all that apply]12:00-4:00
    Interests:Making games, PC Drawing, Swimming
    Looking for a specific Tutor? (I can attempt to hook you up; however, that is not guaranteed):No

Last edited:
    Years
    I have not been here for a week but is there anyway I could get Tutoring earlier?

I believe they said you have to be here for a week. Plus filling out the contract for it would be nice.

I'm just saying, so sorry to the owner of this thread. Hope u didn't mind me pointing that out.

Thrace

@tion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    That little intro really made me smile. This seems like a great idea. I'll post again when I get the chance to read the whole thing.

Roxasabridged

Lucariowner
    Years
    Username/Internet Alias: Roxasabridged
    Real Name or Nickname that you go by: Roxas
    Means of contact: [email protected]
    What you are interested in learning: Gold/Crystal Scripting
    Timezone: GMT
    What times you can be tutored (day, time) [please include all that apply]: Pretty much anytime after 12pm.
    Interests: Anime, gaming, reading.
    Looking for a specific Tutor?: Anyone who can script 2nd gen.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    if this helps any

Username/Internet Alias:ZakZ
    Real Name or Nickname that you go by:Alex
    Means of contact (preferably a Live/MSN account, although email is just as good)[email protected]
    What you are interested in learning:Basic and advance scripting
    Timezone:CST
    What times you can be tutored (day, time) [please include all that apply]12:00-4:00
    Interests:Making games, PC Drawing, Swimming
    Looking for a specific Tutor? (I can attempt to hook you up; however, that is not guaranteed):No

Nope, sorry. I want to make sure that the time of our Tutors is not just thrown to any person who's not going to stay (not that you aren't); I probably should have set the limit to two weeks, but meh.

I believe they said you have to be here for a week. Plus filling out the contract for it would be nice.

I'm just saying, so sorry to the owner of this thread. Hope u didn't mind me pointing that out.

It's cool.

That little intro really made me smile. This seems like a great idea. I'll post again when I get the chance to read the whole thing.

Thanks. It's good to have your approval. :3

Also, Adam, you were accepted. I'll edit that post when I enter you in my little database. (I like having a database. It makes me feel important. :D)

Edit: Whoa, someone posted while I did. >:
    What times you can be tutored (day, time) [please include all that apply]: Pretty much anytime after 12pm.
    Alright, I'll keep a lookout for anyone that can script in GSC. ^^

Last edited:

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024

jakerman999

looking for spriters
    Years
    double hitter

well, I'm going to go two for two here

<;TUTOR FORM;>
    Username/Internet Alias: jakerman999

Real Name or Nickname that you go by: seeing as someone is already known as Jake, and I doubt the master of the universe is fitting, call me Arman

Means of contact (preferably a Live/MSN account; although e-mail is just as good): both my e-mail and my msn are [email protected]

What you are interested in Tutoring for: simple mapping, and advanced mapping after I gain some teaching experience.

Proof of Work (For each subject you would like to Tutor; five examples max, at least three):
    https://img189.imageshack.us/img189/2875/crossroadshotel.jpg
    https://img188.imageshack.us/img188/5963/eternitycaveb32.jpg
    https://img43.imageshack.us/img43/8950/marinemaze4.jpg

Timezone:(-5) eastern time

What times you can be tutoring (day, time): anytime after noon before midnight on weekdays through the summer, I'll post exceptions naturally. after school starts again, I'll have a different schedule so I'll need time to calculate that.

Interests (things you like; used to build a compatible pair, and attempt to make friends): I like computers, books, games, humour and oddly enough, math.

Graduation? (If you have graduated from another Tutor, please note that here so I may confirm): no.

How many students can you handle at once? (one to three; if you can only take on one at a time, that is perfectly fine):I should be able to handle two students until I reach a point where my sanity comes into question is noticeably off.

and some points about my application, you'll notice two of my maps have the grid on, and that they don't seem to display much detail. most of what goes on ingame comes from events and from scripts, so this isn't so much a reflection upon what you see, but more examples of bases for what happens.I as a mapper depend on events much more that normal, so I thought that I should point it out.

and the second bird with the same stone

<;STUDENT FORM;>
    Username/Internet Alias: [email protected]

Real Name or Nickname that you go by: Arman

Means of contact (preferably a Live/MSN account, although email is just as good): [email protected]

What you are interested in learning:advanced scripting

Timezone: eastern (-5 GMT)

What times you can be tutored (day, time) [please include all that apply]:any time from the above form not taken up by tutoring.

Interests: see above

Looking for a specific Tutor? (I can attempt to hook you up; however, that is not guaranteed):no

also, if possible, can I get a scripting tutor that writes for XSE?

Surf

Years
    • Age 29
    • Rust
    • Seen Jul 31, 2011
    AHEMMMM <.<

JAKE!!!!!!!
    What about meh?

Just chuck me in for the Advanced Scripting and Simple scripting Tutor jobs :D

Edit: I SHALL FILL OUT THE FORM

<;TUTOR FORM;>
    Username/Internet Alias: Surf
    Real Name or Nickname that you go by: Mac, James
    What you are interested in Tutoring for: basic/advanced scripting
    Proof of Work:
    A little excerpt from my up coming scripting tutorial:
    Spoiler:

Timezone: AEDT +10
    What times you can be tutoring (day, time): Depends
    How many students can you handle at once?: 2

Last edited:

Shadow-Lugia

Musn't..... Get......GRROOO!!!
    Years
    Username/Internet Alias: Arceus9948
    Real Name or Nickname that you go by: Nevets
    Means of contact: [email protected] (To Speed Up My Computer I Have To Shut Off Live, So I Can Only Use E-mail)
    What you are interested in learning: Basic XSE Scripting
    Timezone: Australian Eastern Standard Time (UTC +9:30)
    What times you can be tutored (day, time) Saturday, Time 9:30 AM - 10:00 AM
    Looking for a specific Tutor?: Nope!

Last edited:

amtrax

Pheonix will rule the world...
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2010
    <;TUTOR FORM;>
    Username/Internet Alias: amtrax
    Real Name or Nickname that you go by: amtrax
    What you are interested in Tutoring for: basic/advanced mapping
    Proof of Work:Warning! large images.
    Spoiler:

Timezone: GMT +13
    What times you can be tutoring (day, time): 3-9pm
    How many students can you handle at once?: 3

<;STUDENT FORM;>
    What you are interested in learning: basic/advanced scripting
    What times you can be tutored: mon-fri 3-9pm

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
    UgH... Not enough time to be a tutor...

Username/Internet Alias: Colorful Summer, ~Watermelon, Tropical Sunlight, Tropicana, whatever.
    Real Name or Nickname that you go by: Melon, TS, IC,...
    What you are interested in learning: MAYBE advanced scripting, but idk variables yet...
    Timezone: UTC+1
    What times you can be tutored (day, time) [please include all that apply]: ??? varies (when I can be on comp; it that a problem?
    Interests:
    Looking for a specific Tutor? (I can attempt to hook you up; however, that is not guaranteed): no

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    I'm going to also make a Student Listing by the Tutor section; you can check there to see if you are in limbo, waiting for a Tutor.

Well, seeing as IIMarkus gave you a tutorial, I'm going to assume that you will not need a tutor for now. If you do, I will repost you up.

well, I'm going to go two for two here

<;TUTOR FORM;>
    Username/Internet Alias: jakerman999

What you are interested in Tutoring for: simple mapping, and advanced mapping after I gain some teaching experience.

I'm sorry, but I can't accept that quite yet. While there are a few things that you've got down (block editing, and not very many tile errors), there are some things you need to work on. You cannot rely on scripts to simply fill out the map; they do that, yes, but you have to give your maps some pizazz. Some notes;

The tree placement is quite good on the first map. Mountains are straight, however, which is not good. And, since I'm assuming you're going for a bit of an out-of-the-way area here, caves are fine, but usually, in a city, there are no cave entrances unless that is how you get in. Also, there's no way to get off of or even onto the part of the mountain where the cave is. The little pond is blocked off by hedges, as well. Another big thing here is to include a border; as far as I can tell, you've left the top-right hand corner open for the player to roam. Wrap some trees around and at least create a direction for the player to go.

Second map; symmetry is not your friend in mapping. It bites you.

That said, you don't want to make things symmetrical, so try not to use the same rock placements throughout. Again, the mountains are extremely straight, which we don't want to happen. Imagine being the person who plays through that cave; do you really want to walk straight up and down in basically the same path five times over? No, I don't think so. Mix it up a bit.

I don't really do many water routes, so I'm at a lack of words for the last one. My only advice at the moment is to throw some islands in; some people look for those, and when they reach the end of a pure water route, being forced to go back, it won't make them happy. (Not that I'm speaking from personal experience or anything.. >>)

also, if possible, can I get a scripting tutor that writes for XSE?

You mean a scripting tutor that uses XSE? Uhm, yes, all of the tutors use XSE, generally.

AHEMMMM <.<

JAKE!!!!!!!
    What about meh?

Just chuck me in for the Advanced Scripting and Simple scripting Tutor jobs :D

Edit: I SHALL FILL OUT THE FORM

<;TUTOR FORM;>
    Username/Internet Alias: Surf
    Real Name or Nickname that you go by: Mac, James
    What you are interested in Tutoring for: basic/advanced scripting
    Proof of Work:
    A little excerpt from my up coming scripting tutorial:
    Spoiler:

Timezone: AEDT +10
    What times you can be tutoring (day, time): Depends
    How many students can you handle at once?: 2

I think you're accepted, although I have to check with the resident scripters first.

<;TUTOR FORM;>
    What you are interested in Tutoring for: basic/advanced mapping
    Proof of Work:Warning! large images.
    What times you can be tutoring (day, time): 3-9pm
    How many students can you handle at once?: 3

I can accept you as Simple Mapping for now; but I'm not so sure about Advancing Mapping. I'll get back to you later on that.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen yesterday
    Well, seeing as I am being tutored, I'll give somethinng back!

<;TUTOR FORM;>
    Username/Internet Alias: Banjora Marxvile
    Real Name or Nickname that you go by: Marx
    Means of contact (preferably a Live/MSN account; although e-mail is just as good): See Contact Info
    What you are interested in Tutoring for: Tile Inserting (Examples aren't too good, but I rest my case)
    Proof of Work (For each subject you would like to Tutor; five examples max, at least three):
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/album.php?albumid=1993&pictureid=12864
    ROM Hacking Tutoring

ROM Hacking Tutoring

Timezone: UTC +1 Western Europe time (London)
    What times you can be tutoring (day, time): Umm... Just PM me, and I'll PM back
    Interests (things you like; used to build a compatible pair, and attempt to make friends): Interesting... Matchmaking all of a sudden... Anyway, I like Bugs and puzzles
    Graduation? (If you have graduated from another Tutor, please note that here so I may confirm):
    How many students can you handle at once? (one to three; if you can only take on one at a time, that is perfectly fine): Any, preferably 1.

I have told people how to tile insert before, but not in a thread like this.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    I just have a question, can we get a tutor on everything?

Not all at once.

Well, seeing as I am being tutored, I'll give somethinng back!

<;TUTOR FORM;>
    Username/Internet Alias: Banjora Marxvile
    Real Name or Nickname that you go by: Marx
    Means of contact (preferably a Live/MSN account; although e-mail is just as good): See Contact Info
    What you are interested in Tutoring for: Tile Inserting (Examples aren't too good, but I rest my case)
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/album.php?albumid=1993&pictureid=12864
    ROM Hacking Tutoring

ROM Hacking Tutoring

Timezone: UTC +1 Western Europe time (London)
    What times you can be tutoring (day, time): Umm... Just PM me, and I'll PM back
    Interests (things you like; used to build a compatible pair, and attempt to make friends): Interesting... Matchmaking all of a sudden... Anyway, I like Bugs and puzzles
    Graduation? (If you have graduated from another Tutor, please note that here so I may confirm):
    How many students can you handle at once? (one to three; if you can only take on one at a time, that is perfectly fine): Any, preferably 1.

I have told people how to tile insert before, but not in a thread like this.

Looks good to me.

Edit: Also, if you are applying for an Advancing class (Mapping/Scripting) it would be in your very best interest to include some sort of proof of work, be it a video (scripting) or a couple of maps you've made. Remember, the Tutors can turn down a person for any reason, so try to make your application seem appealing to the Tutors. :D

Last edited:

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
    Years
    TUTOR FORM
    Username/Internet Alias: 44tim44
    Real Name or Nickname that you go by: Timmy
    What you are interested in Tutoring for: Advanced Mapping, Spriting(OW), Spriting(Other)
    Proof of Work:

Mapping Proof:
    ROM Hacking Tutoring

EDIT: Just remembered, those trees are my custom ones.

Spriting Proof:
    ROM Hacking Tutoring

ROM Hacking Tutoring

(Most of the sprites are not yet indexed/inserted.)

Timezone:GMT+1
    What times you can be tutoring:15.00 - 18.00, days are different(going on vacation, and won't be at my PC every day)
    Interests: Sketching/Drawing, Computer Knowledge, Science fiction, Manga & Anime
    How many students can you handle at once?: Depending on their knowledge.
    2 if they are complete beginners, possibly 3 if they have experience.

also @Atlus
    "Also, if you are applying for an Advancing class (Mapping/Scripting) it would be in your very best interest to include some sort of proof of work, be it a video (scripting) or a couple of maps you've made."

I would include more maps, but Im on my new computer, and haven't got my portable hardrive on right now.
    So this is the only hacking map I have.
    (I do have some RMXP maps though.)

Also I think this is a great Idea.
    Through this thread, we might be able to get rid of the "Haow do I hax?"-posts in various threads.
    Good luck with this project ;)

Sincerely,
    //44tim44

PlatniumPiano

You are now breathing manually
    Years
    Hey, Atlus, great idea, hope this theread works!

I have a suggestion... Could you possibly add ASM tutoring for the list for people who want to learn ASM? I'm not sure too many people would want to teach it, but just a thought.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
    I could tutor my limited knowledge on it. But I would only accept the absolute perfect student.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back