• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rubbernecking

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
Years
  • Have you ever been a rubbernecker? You know, someone who notices some emergency or accident, and you can't help but go drive by to see what happened?

Do you do this regularly? Do you want to, but decide against it?

I ask this because today, in my tiny, little, boring, quiet town, in the afternoon, suddenly there were tons of sirens and cops flying by a nearby road, and a cop even sped past, sirens blaring, our house on the way to whatever happened. That never happens. o_o My dad, brother and I all kinda had the urge to go see what was going on. XD We decided against it, because we don't want to be a bother, but we have done it in the past, whenever there was a big fire or something. One time, there was a huge fire, and it was a good thing we went and checked because we learned that it was coming for us. 0__0 Also fortunately, the fire department got to it before we even had to evacuate. XD

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    Not really. I try to stay out of business that doesn't involve me. I have many of my own problems that need my attention.

Xyrin

WOW REMEMBER THIS??
    Years
  • Most of the time I'd want to know what it is and what happened and then leave. That's pretty much all, just the core details.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Those people are so annoying. My family is full of them. The smallest sound of sirens and all of them are out the door rushing to find where they're headed to. Have a cop sitting out front dealing with something across the street? They'll be at the windows watching it happen. When did people get so nosy? That is so disrespectful to the people involved.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    I know some people that do but if it doesn't involve me I generally try to avoid involving myself in any manner. Just because there are sirens and ambulances and policecars and firetrucks and... yeah, sometimes if there are tons and tons of emergency vehicles and stuff flying around then you kinda want to know what's going on but aside from that I avoid paying too much attention to flashing cars and stuff.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • I've never gone out of my way to find out what's going on. I think that's an invasion of privacy, and everyone needs to keep their peepers on the road.

I MEAN if I hear a car crash outside my house, yeah I'm gonna go look to make sure everyone's okay. But if it's on the side of the road, and there's ambulences and cops there already, it's none of my business :|

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    rubbernecking is awesome dog

amen dog

I'm not going to go out of my way to go see whats going on, but if there an accident near me, I'll go up to see whats going on and see if I can help. But if it's a car crash and I'm just going to waaaaalk awaaayyyy.
    But, if it's an argument thats going on, I'll be the first person to turn up and listen intently, often inviting my friends to come listen/watch as it happens. I try to think of it as a soap opera being acted out in front of my very eyes. I've never heard of the term 'rubbernecking' before, though. I thought it was just simply being nosy, lol.

Last edited:

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • OH MY GOD I DID THIS BEFORE. and i'm not doing it again. xD

But nah, I don't do it anymore. It makes me realize that I'm pretty nosy. xD I only do so when it actually happens right next to me.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I rubberneck, but only if I'm not driving myself. If I'm a passenger in the car I'll try to get the driver to slow down as we drive past just so I can get a good look at the carnage. I think "respecting privacy" is a bit of an unrealistic thing to expect of people when there is a big ostentatious accident on the road lol.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I'm not really a rubbernecker, but sometimes I go check out an accident to see what's going on for the sake of curiosity (and help whenever I can).

linkinpark187

Computer Tech
    Years
  • It really depends on the situation. I generally don't, though. If I happen to be passing by, I may take a quick look, but other than that it's really none of my business. Unless it happens to be a storm, like Irene. That was an intense moment.

As a side comment, I find that those of you who are worried about privacy are funny. If you have a facebook account, you have no privacy. Zuckerburg is ready and willing to sell your personal information for a monetary gain. Just putting that out there.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • All the time. I'm so nosy. I hate when I'm driving though and there's something good going on. If I have a passenger, I'll drop the conversation and be like "omg look over there and tell me what's going on!"

Years
  • I hate when people do this while driving. Like, if there was an accident it was probably because someone wasn't paying attention to the road. So what does everyone else do? They stop paying attention to the road to look.

I don't want to see any accidents. Someone I know once heard (as in heard the sound) an accident happen where a car had hit a person walking on the sidewalk and she looked to see what happened and wished she hadn't because they guy was obviously dead and it was very messy. I wouldn't want to ever see anything like that.

Centiflora X

Thread Killer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2011
    I am probably not curious enough to have a peek, mainly because accidents have the same core: carelessness and misfortune. That, and crowding around accident victims is bad for the victims

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    there was a death at a restaurant nearby my bar recently, the attention it received had me all baffled. passersby would gather and gossip about the situation with more intrigue than concern, which seemed a little disrespectful.

if it looks like i can help, i'll do what i can. if the scene is in the hands of medics and policemen, i'd rather stay out of the way.

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • I try not and go to other people's business, but if it is something interesting I just have to know what happened; every single detail.

Back