• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Running Shoes! [ #31 ]

Should've you obtained the running shoes earlier?

• Total voters

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023

Should've you obtained the running shoes earlier?

I've noticed a few people that have found this an issue, actually - I was meant to make this ages ago, but recently a post reminded me of it!

Basically, in route 2, you're given the running shoes (which enables you to run faster when you press B). Usually, you're given them in the starting town (with one exception), but this time you're not. How do you feel about this? Do you think you should've got the running shoes at an earlier point, or maybe you just don't care? As an added question, do you mind that you have to hold down on B to use them, unlike in HGSS, which allowed them to be used by selecting something on the touch screen? Share your thoughts!
    Running Shoes! [ #31 ]

If you have any ideas, let us know! We may not use them straight away, but we will eventually. :D

Starrodkirby86

Das Kirby
    Years
    The Running Shoes came at just the right time. Since it was really at the beginning, what I mainly had there was just to enjoy the experience of a new generation, so I didn't really mind if it pretty much was a fine and dandy stroll ~

I shortly missed the Running Shoes being on constantly in HG/SS. I guess it's pretty much the same opinion with that and L=A... They'd be nice to have back! =3

What I wanted to come earlier actually would be the Bicycle. It was way too troublesome to traverse everywhere in just simple Running Shoes. After the tiring sprint through Skyarrow, I knew I needed to get a Bicycle ASAP.

Shorty-

Unique is an Understatement.
    Years
    Lol, I didn't pay that much attention so it didn't bother me. Although the HG/SS option the keep the running shoes on at all times would have been nice, but oh well. Since it was a new place I took my time, so I didn't use the shoes too much until later on.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    It didn't really bother me at the time. My concentration was diverted more towards having fun and exploring.. and I didn't even notice that I hadn't received running shoes yet. For me, I think it came at around the right time.

Not having to constantly press the B button and enabling the running shoes with the touch screen was a nice feature introduced in HG/SS. Yeah, it's pretty sad that we weren't able to do the same in B/W, but it didn't really bother me too much. :/

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2012
    This time around I didn't really notice how late I got them, didn't phase me I guess.
    But in HG/SS, I personally didn't use the auto-run feature. I had it set to Hold B for running, since when I DID have the auto-run toggled on, I was still holding be from habit, and it was more comfortable than not holding it.
    As for the L = A that Starrodkirby86, I miss that much more. I can't talk on the phone with one hand, and play pokmon with the other as easily. Though L = A isn't part of the Original post :/ (Might want to include that in the discussion? If not already done)

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    You get them after the first gym In FRLG, so getting them on route 2 in BW is a blessing when compared to FRLG. But I was afraid I was never gunna get them, lmao. "k did i miss the running shoes or so-- OHAI MOMMY!"

Azure Revolver

HONK HONK
    Years
    I voted yes, but it was really somewhere in between. It is still early enough in the game and not far from the first town that it doesn't bother me, but I usually can't wait to get the running shoes and want to move on.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I wasn't bothered at all. I think you can reach Route 2 pretty quickly, so it feels fine. I find having to hold the B Button actually comforting. Why? It's because not holding it feels off. I love a run button. Not holding it in HGSS sure feels odd, while fast.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    You get them after the first gym In FRLG, so getting them on route 2 in BW is a blessing when compared to FRLG.
    This, really. I wasn't disappointed when your mom randomly called you and came to give you the Running Shoes, especially since it was so early-on in the game. While I do miss the HGSS Running Shoes mechanics I'm okay with holding down the B button to run. It makes things feel more... nostalgic, I guess. :)

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Well actually in the original games (or is it just FRLG? xD) you are given them in Pewter City, and in HG/SS your given them by that old guy in cherrygrove, so it isn't really that much of a difference, not a very interesting topic to say the least...

On the topic of a touch screen button, I never really used it in HG/SS, I just used B - It would just seem a shame to change that when it's been the same for sooo long. :3

Osha_say_wott?!

osha osha
    Years
    This is my first time ever using the running shoes so I definitely was bother by how late I received them. I use the running shoes on a semi-regular basis, anyways.^^ And I like holding down the B button to use them. Because in video games; holding down button = go faster. ;D

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I missed the touch-screen control. However, I'm glad they decided just to stick to B, as it's easy to switch between on and off, and I hardly use them anyway.

Also, they're not received late...in Fr/Lg you have a gym badge before you get them!

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    I weren't bothered with it tbqh. I feel that it was just given on the right time. Not like FRLG, like the others have said.

And Mew~, you were only given a Running Shoes at the route next to Pewter in FRLG. There was no Running Shoes in RGBY. =S

blue

gucci
    Years
    I didn't really use them in B/W, I can never be botherd to hold down the B button, they shoulda kept it the same as HG/SS where you click to keep them on even though I still end up holding B. They are a great addition nontheless.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I didn't mind not getting the running shoes in Nuvema Town because there wasn't a lot of walking done early on. And yeah, they should've kept the running shoes mechanics from HG/SS.

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
    I was bothered by how long it took until I got the running shoes (I don't like walking so slow). Oh and I never used that little tool HG/SS had for the running shoes, as I like holding down B better.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2018
    For me there wasn't an issue. At the beginning of all my pokemon games I notice I don't really care about time, how long things take, etc. I leave the battle scenes on and take my time to enjoy the scenery, but after 4 or 5 gyms I turn them off and run everywhere. I wish they had the run button though, I liked that a little too much. =/

Back