• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Saving, don't turn off the power..." *battery dies*

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
  • Have you ever had your battery die on your handheld system while you were saving? Did you lose your save file when this happened? Why did you let your battery get so low?

With me, this only happened once. I was playing MegaMan Battle Network 6 on my GBA SP on the bus on the way home from school. I noticed my battery light had turned red a while back, but I was young and careless about that stuff. I had decided I would save shortly before getting home, then turn it off. Note that this game only takes a split second to save. And what was my luck? The battery died in that split second. And I lost my save file. >_<

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • Nope, not here. I was always pretty prompt to charge my DS whenever the battery light became red. The light is there for a good reason.
    I have corrupted save files in attempting to clone Pokemon and Chao, though.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I don't think it's ever happened to me WHILE saving, but it's definitely happened (particularly when I was younger back in the years of the Gameboy Pocket and Gameboy Color) when I've forgotten to save.

I think one time I actually burst into tears when it happened in Pokemon Red right after the Pewter Gym, when I hadn't thought to save it once since the beginning of the game.

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
  • Happened to me when playing Pokemon LeafGreen. Sad to say, the file got lost :(

Also happened to me when playing Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood. But this time, the file thankfully didn't get lost.

Magikarp Queen

Magikarp Tamer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2012
    Oh wow, I never had that happen, but that has to suck.

Not long ago though I was playing Draqon Quest Monster Joker 2 and I tripped on the stairs and dropped it. The cart went flying out and I lost over an hour of progress X_x

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    Happened in Emerald when I was cloning a couple Lugia's or something. It didn't corrupt it though, which was odd.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    That probably never happened on my portable games. Probably... (I think I might have forgotten a few from the Game Boy days)

However, on my laptop, there was this one time where I was saving in The Sims 2 while running on AC.

Power cut.

The laptop had trouble changing states from performance to battery life, and the ongoing game was hosed.

Years
  • This has happened a couple of times to me and it breaks me every, single, time.

I remember I had caught a shiny in the safari zone and I was so hyped and happy, that I didn't even see the red light. 10 minutes later, *poof*. I nearly threw my SP at the wall.​

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
  • The only time it happened to me was when I was playing Pokemon Crystal. I was at the Elite 4, and I got sidetracked because my brother was playing some game on the TV and I was watching that. And after awhile I noticed my battery light, so I finished up the battle, and saved and while it was saving...
    I changed the batteries turned it back on and that battle I was in was over, and everything looked fine. I thought maybe the save happened and so I finished up the rest of the E4 like I did countless times with Gold. But when I got back to my Pokemon boxes that's when I found out that my file was corrupted. All the Pokemon I had in my boxes were gone, they were replaced with all sorts of random Pokemon and all of them had names like "gsdertsfg". The Pokemon in my party were fine, but I had some powerful and rare Pokemon on that game from different games as well. So that wasn't fun...

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2013
    I sometimes think about situations like that. Good thing I haven't experienced it yet. Any of guys ever save a game on a console, and all of the sudden, the electricity fluctuates and the consoles turns off. Man if that happened to me and I lost the save game, RAGE!

Mortalis

[css-div="background-color:#4e9dda;text-align:cent
    Years
  • This used to happen to me all the time when I was younger. I was ignorant for the deadly red-light and decided I had enough time. Being younger, the anger got the best of me once, and I broke my Gameboy Advance by snapping it in half.

They call me the Hulk.

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
  • The first time that this happened to me was excruciatingly painful. I remember being a kid and playing Pokemon Blue on my Game Boy Pocket. I had just about come to the end of my greatest Safari Zone run ever -- caught a Tauros, Chansey, and Kangaskhan all in one run. Nigh miraculous. Was so absorbed in the game that I didn't realize that my battery light had dimmed to the point of invisibility, so when I finally did notice, I panicked and attempted to save as soon as I possibly could. I was a couple of seconds too late, as the system shut down the second I pressed Save. My data didn't corrupt or anything, but I'd lost all of my progress. Never had a Safari run that good again for a long time.

Weber

Thats Farfetch'd
    Years
    • Seen Oct 29, 2013
    happened to me while playing either gold or silver, lost my game and currupted the entire game, LUCKILY though i had a cheating device with a save file on it and restarted it that way and only lost 4 to 5 hours which is alot better than having a game that wont work, i think lugia was flying the opposite way and the colors were all different....

Years
  • Happened to me countless times back in the day, I wanted to get the most out of my batteries. Especially before I knew about the existance of rechargeable batteries
    schulterzuck.gif

I didn't die from it.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
  • I once was playing Gold on an emulator, and I was exploiting the box clone glitch. (switch boxes, then turn off power/close emulator while saving) But, I did not realize the adverse affects it could have if not done 100% correctly. What happened was my party Pokemon's names ended up getting mixed up. For example, I had both Raikou and Typhlosion in my party. Raikou's name ended up changing to "Raikoosion."

Xx Typhlosion xX

Typhlosion FtW!
    Years
  • Happened to me when my cousin persuaded me to turn off the power while saving to clone Pokemon in the PC on Pokemon Emerald, which I did and lost my data! ...

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
    Years
  • While I haven't had anything happen like that on a portable console, I was playing around on the GB Tower in Pokemon Stadium once and I had been playing for a while. I save, and for some reason during the save a message pops up on my n64 telling me the transfer pack had been disconnected or something like that. I turn my n64 back on, boot up Yellow on the GB Tower, and just imagine how overjoyed I was when I got a message saying "The Save File Has Been Destroyed!"

Ciz

La la la ♪
    Years
  • This never happened to me on my ds or gba.

But the most irritating unsaved accident was when i was speed-playing fire red on an emulator, trying to finish it 8x faster in a day or less. I was at Fuschia when my laptop died. -_-"

Zythrone

The One And Only!
    Years
  • Yep... this has happened.

Its why I'm glad that the 3DS flashes when it about to run out of power...

If you forget to save its your own fault.

Back