• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Scrapbox phase-out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
Years
I agree - that's my primary motivation to hacking, and the people who become fans are the bonus (but still very inspiring). However, I do think the standards could be raised, and Scrapbox, while designed as an idea forum, never really caught on. I'm of the opinion that if someone has a really good idea, which you argue the removal of the forum will kill off, they might as well attempt to develop it a little so they can show it off a bit more in Progressing Hacks. If they don't have the necessary skills or drive for that, who's to say the hack will persist against the other hacks available? On the other hand, they can also use the Storyline ideas thread and hope someone else can help them develop their idea.

Your points do make sense but in my opinion(and personal experience) the scrapbox was also a place to learn what it takes to become a serious hacker. Ttorials can teach you how to hack but they can't teach you to have the drive to finish. My first two tack ideas were busts because I didn't know what it took to make a hack. But I learned from my mistakes and grew as a hacker. If you remove the scrapbox then you're also removing a learning space for beginners.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
I think you should put up a new subforum for asking questions and then people would answer them too.
There beginners would learn basics of making a good hack.

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
Years
Your points do make sense but in my opinion(and personal experience) the scrapbox was also a place to learn what it takes to become a serious hacker. Ttorials can teach you how to hack but they can't teach you to have the drive to finish. My first two tack ideas were busts because I didn't know what it took to make a hack. But I learned from my mistakes and grew as a hacker. If you remove the scrapbox then you're also removing a learning space for beginners.
What has learning and reading tutorials got to do with the scrapbox?

...do you mean that you post about a hack, and get posts like 'read a tutorial about what you need here [link]'?

Actually, imo people should check everywhere before they post. When I joined this forum, fourth months ago, I had just gotten into rom hacking and spriting. My first hack was at the scrapbox, but before that I had read every rule possible. I knew what it takes to move into progressing hacks, I had already taken some necessary info and tools that I needed. All people could do to help me at that time was ideas (and scripts, hadn't quite learnt that yet).

Oh, and something else. I don't see why, when one thinks that they hack for enjoyment, whines when their hack gets no attention (no offense, I'm actually talking about myself).

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
Years
What has learning and reading tutorials got to do with the scrapbox?

...do you mean that you post about a hack, and get posts like 'read a tutorial about what you need here [link]'?

Actually, imo people should check everywhere before they post. When I joined this forum, fourth months ago, I had just gotten into rom hacking and spriting. My first hack was at the scrapbox, but before that I had read every rule possible. I knew what it takes to move into progressing hacks, I had already taken some necessary info and tools that I needed. All people could do to help me at that time was ideas (and scripts, hadn't quite learnt that yet).

Oh, and something else. I don't see why, when one thinks that they hack for enjoyment, whines when their hack gets no attention (no offense, I'm actually talking about myself).

You completely misunderstood my post. I said that the scrapbox taught things that can't be learned by reading tutorials.

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
Years
You completely misunderstood my post. I said that the scrapbox taught things that can't be learned by reading tutorials.
The middle part of my post pretty much explains that the scrapbox didn't really teach me anything from just existing, after a while my hack was at the stage that it could be moved to the progressing hacks. The only reason I posted on the scrapbox first, was because I temporarily couldn't provide screenshots. My second hack went straight to the progressing hacks, not a while ago. So yeah.

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
Years
My post may not apply to you but it does to others. Just because you didn't learn from the scrapbox doesn't mean others didn't.
I was telling you that it didn't affect me; hence that this is a personal opinion and not something conservative.

558122_DG

Learning how to make mistakes
Years
  • Seen May 27, 2021
It doesn't meet the forum's original intention, though. The Scrapbox wasn't created as the "Beginner's forum". It was created for people to stash ideas that others could contribute to. (Sorta like R&D is now, except not as limited.)

so y not keep it and now change it's purpose?

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
Progressing hacks is going to turn into the scrapbox...
People will try to put in a few hours of work, then once they get a few screens, BLAMO! They get posted.
But then, after a few months, they will stop updating, or forget... no longer will the Progressing hacks section be good, but will degenerate into the crap-hole that is the scrapbox...
You may be getting rid of one hell, but just making another... IMO

It doesn't meet the forum's original intention, though. The Scrapbox wasn't created as the "Beginner's forum". It was created for people to stash ideas that others could contribute to. (Sorta like R&D is now, except not as limited.)

R&D is win, nuff said!

Last edited:

Dandaman955

The not-so new guy anymore =(
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 2, 2019
well, looks like it's goodbye scrapbox. as they said, it's lost its use :/

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
Years
Progressing hacks is going to turn into the scrapbox...
People will try to put in a few hours of work, then once they get a few screens, BLAMO! They get posted.
But then, after a few months, they will stop updating, or forget... no longer will the Progressing hacks section be good, but will degenerate into the crap-hole that is the scrapbox...
You may be getting rid of one hell, but just making another... IMO

R&D is win, nuff said!
Bah, they might just as well raise the requirements or look deeper into every new thread, that alone is enough to cut down half of the new hacks 'right where they stand'.

558122_DG

Years
  • Seen May 27, 2021
Bah, they might just as well raise the requirements or look deeper into every new thread, that alone is enough to cut down half of the new hacks 'right where they stand'.

seriously? raise the requirements? What about the hacks that are ALREADY there but only reach the bare minimum? Will they delete those cause it doesn't meet these new standards? And no it wouldn't....it will only cut down all of the hacks from people who don't yet know how to rom hack/people who still need to learn. And that is not half. Most of the rom hacking community know how to change up a map in A-Map...and know how to do SIMPLE scripting...

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
Years
seriously? raise the requirements? What about the hacks that are ALREADY there but only reach the bare minimum? Will they delete those cause it doesn't meet these new standards? And no it wouldn't....it will only cut down all of the hacks from people who don't yet know how to rom hack/people who still need to learn. And that is not half. Most of the rom hacking community know how to change up a map in A-Map...and know how to do SIMPLE scripting...
Seriously, if that actually happened then they might get a time limit to update their threads in order to meet the requirements. Or boom. Or that's how I crumble the cookie.

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
Well, at least people need to have some sort of hacking knowledge before posting now... (Besides crappy re-maps and tile edits)

Though the motivation that comes from posting and failing, the drive to make a better hack, will be lost with this.

Only those with a more powerful INITIAL motivation will make it in this cold, cold day and age.
And thus, a new chapter in ROM hacking begins, the best of the past, gone, replaced by a new generation of losers, timeless fools, and impatient nooblets, we walk into the darkness, heads held high, with the best of today's age leading the way.

I'll end up drawing a pic of this later... It is that epic

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
Well, at least people need to have some sort of hacking knowledge before posting now... (Besides crappy re-maps and tile edits)

Though the motivation that comes from posting and failing, the drive to make a better hack, will be lost with this.

Only those with a more powerful INITIAL motivation will make it in this cold, cold day and age.
And thus, a new chapter in ROM hacking begins, the best of the past, gone, replaced by a new generation of losers, timeless fools, and impatient nooblets, we walk into the darkness, heads held high, with the best of today's age leading the way.

I'll end up drawing a pic of this later... It is that epic
That was intense.

I liked the scrap box. :( Anyway, you can't still make threads... one was made the other day?

558122_DG

Years
  • Seen May 27, 2021
Seriously, if that actually happened then they might get a time limit to update their threads in order to meet the requirements. Or boom. Or that's how I crumble the cookie.

But then the cream is all over your hands. If they were to get a time limit that would be considered fair. But honestly how high do you think they can raise the standards? showcase means 10 screenies, prog means 5 at maximum i can't see'em raising it above 7...which is not much, but that IS the only thing that they can raise no? almost everyhack in the scrapbox has a storyline/features/whatever else.

That was intense.

I liked the scrap box. :( Anyway, you can't still make threads... one was made the other day?

yea believe one was made the other day :?, i remember cause it was first on the scrap box with 0 comments, not to mention it was new, and the creator didn't even have much to share... who knows?

Last edited:

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
Years
But then the cream is all over your hands. If they were to get a time limit that would be considered fair. But honestly how high do you think they can raise the standards? showcase means 10 screenies, prog means 5 at maximum i can't see'em raising it above 7...which is not much, but that IS the only thing that they can raise no? almost everyhack in the scrapbox has a storyline/features/whatever else.
Tch, I'm pretty sure that the staff can tell which hacks deserve to be approved and which not.

And Showcase requirement isn't JUST 10 screenshots, it either requires your hack to have a released version that has shown significant progress or 10 screenshots that SHOW significant progress.

yea believe one was made the other day :?, i remember cause it was first on the scrap box with 0 comments, not to mention it was new, and the creator didn't even have much to share...trick by the mods? who knows?
Trick by the mods? no way.

Actually, it was moved there from Game Development, and so it was able to make it. It was just a mistake, the mods have already taken it down.

Last edited:

558122_DG

Years
  • Seen May 27, 2021
Tch, I'm pretty sure that the staff can tell which hacks deserve to be approved and which not.

And Showcase requirement isn't JUST 10 screenshots, it either requires your hack to have a released version that has shown significant progress or 10 screenshots that SHOW significant progress.

what do you define as significant progress?

Trick by the mods? no way.

Actually, it was moved there from Game Development, and so it was able to make it. It was just a mistake, the mods have already taken it down.

oh really? I never knew i'll edit my post, i feel bad now :(

siper x

I'm Russia, Fear Russia
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 29, 2023
well i guess it will lower the spam, and hacks don't get pushed to page 4 from new hacks (hacks that were posted the day before are usually on page 2), but then how will the new hackers learn how to hack? this was a perfect area for them to learn how to hack and get an idea of how stuff worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back