• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Scrapbox phase-out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
I think it's a good idea. I will miss Pokemon Ash's Quest, it should be moved to Progressing Hacks before February. The Progressing Hacks will probably have well-worked on hacks with well playable betas/ alphas/ demos.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 4, 2011
I think that instead of removing the Scrapbox you should put better regulation on the Scrapbox and Progressing Hacks. I think most of the supporters of the Scrapbox will agree with these regulations.

Here is what I think that the rules should be:

Scrapbox:

Paragraph storyline
List of features
1 or 2 screenshots/maps
Team members
Demo (Demo is 1st town and route)

Progressing Hacks:

Paragraph storyline
List of features
4 screenshots/maps
Team members
Beta (Beta is 1st gym or second town)

Last edited:

siper x

I'm Russia, Fear Russia
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 29, 2023
I think that instead of removing the Scrapbox you should put better regulation on the Scrapbox and Progressing Hacks. I think most of the supporters of the Scrapbox will agree with these regulations.

Here is what I think that the rules should be:

Scrapbox:

Paragraph storyline
List of features
1 or 2 screenshots/maps
Team members
Demo (Demo is 1st town and route)

Progressing Hacks:

Paragraph storyline
List of features
4 screenshots/maps
Team members
Beta (Beta is 1st gym or second town)

i actualy think this is a good idea, it shows the fact that they can hack even a little,
then it would still get the rookies a chance to learn how to hack.

<>*Ralts*<>

I can't Raltz anymore...
Years
Um, is it possible for us to move our threads from the scrapbox to our team thread? I mean why can't we?

Like DG & I made a hack together, so would it fit in with our team? I know it would not fit in with the hack that Team Plague is making, but I mean, we can put it in the team thread if the group leader (DG) Approved it. So what do you think?

~Raltz Wishes You Best Of Luck~

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2022
Guys this can't be stopped. This thread is merely for discussion not suggestions. Contact a moderator for that sort of thing.

Last edited:

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
Um, is it possible for us to move our threads from the scrapbox to our team thread? I mean why can't we?

Like DG & I made a hack together, so would it fit in with our team? I know it would not fit in with the hack that Team Plague is making, but I mean, we can put it in the team thread if the group leader (DG) Approved it. So what do you think?

~Raltz Wishes You Best Of Luck~

Nope, sorry, the thi8ng is you'll have to get more done in your hack and get it moved to Progressing Hacks... it might be made by you, but it doesn't belong in Team Discussions, it belongs in the ScrapBox for now.
Just get more done, and move it... it isn't the end of the world if your thread is deleted either, since you can just continue the hack, them post a NEW thread in the Progressing Hacks section...

558122_DG

Learning how to make mistakes
Years
  • Seen May 27, 2021
well, I'm not very optimistic like you are but, I don't like to see the scrapbox go. True i got my thread to prog hacks, but still, the scrapbox is awesome, and shouldn't meet it's doom over a buch of random n00by spammers...

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 26, 2024
Fully agree. I might PM to ask them to close this dump down now :)

Surely you can see some BAD things about this too. It isn't just a dump, loads of ideas grew and are still growing. So, some ideas in here need to be moved up, and have time to be moved up. If you REALLY wanted rid, be patient.

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
If an idea deserves to be moved up, it will, people shouldn't even start a thread without having sufficient progress done.
Whenever I get around to actually making a hack of my own, I won't release it until it's like half done, betas are annoying IMO, why play a little and work a little when you can just sit down, stop being a baby, and do the work you want to do! It's isn't fun if you have people demanding for a new release every 10 seconds.
*cough*Zel*cough*

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
Years
If an idea deserves to be moved up, it will, people shouldn't even start a thread without having sufficient progress done.
Whenever I get around to actually making a hack of my own, I won't release it until it's like half done, betas are annoying IMO, why play a little and work a little when you can just sit down, stop being a baby, and do the work you want to do! It's isn't fun if you have people demanding for a new release every 10 seconds.
*cough*Zel*cough*

Why shouldn't they start a thread? I'd they're new to hacking and want to get their idea out then they should be able to. And posting a thread that isn't about a complete hack is begging people to ask for releases so the thread creator has to be ready for that. I agree that playing betas is a stupid idea unless you're looking for errors. It's a shame that we have to see a place with such promise get deleted.

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
That is the problem, there is little to no promise from the scrap-box. A LARGE portion of hackers in this age of ROM hacking has degenerated, most of the things in the scrap-box see little to no improvement over the course of their life-span. Eventually the thread will just end up closed and take up space on the server. Why deal with that when it can just be emptied out? That, and it is being used for purposes not-intended, it's turned into a junkyard, Just like how reputation was taken out as well, cause it wasn't being used properly.

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
Years
That is the problem, there is little to no promise from the scrap-box. A LARGE portion of hackers in this age of ROM hacking has degenerated, most of the things in the scrap-box see little to no improvement over the course of their life-span. Eventually the thread will just end up closed and take up space on the server. Why deal with that when it can just be emptied out? That, and it is being used for purposes not-intended, it's turned into a junkyard, Just like how reputation was taken out as well, cause it wasn't being used properly.

But what about my earlier comments? I know it's to late to change the staffs' mind but t makes more sense to dump the threads and keep the scrapbox. Then they could make rules and reform the area so it can still be useful. And the lack of improvement is alright because after the hack fails the hacker can decide whether or not they want to continue hacking.

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
Well, if the hacker want's to keep hacking, they can just either move their thread, or have it be dumped, and continue on working, then when they have enough to get into "Progressing Hacks" then the can post a new thread there.
The thing is, the scrapbox ha turned into a dump, and that minuscule amount of hacks that actually mean something, can just be continued without a thread. Then when it is good enough for progressing hacks, they post it there.
(You don't need a thread to hack)
It can be like a test, to see if the people in the scrapbox actually care enough to keep hacking, or if their thread was going to turn out into junk in the end.

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
Years
Well, if the hacker want's to keep hacking, they can just either move their thread, or have it be dumped, and continue on working, then when they have enough to get into "Progressing Hacks" then the can post a new thread there.
The thing is, the scrapbox ha turned into a dump, and that minuscule amount of hacks that actually mean something, can just be continued without a thread. Then when it is good enough for progressing hacks, they post it there.
(You don't need a thread to hack)
It can be like a test, to see if the people in the scrapbox actually care enough to keep hacking, or if their thread was going to turn out into junk in the end.

I understand but the failures can help a hacker decide if they want to continue or not. When my first hack failed I did a lot of thinking and decided that I did want to commit myself to learning how to hack. Had the scrapbox not been there I don't know if I would still be here. It's worth keeping even if only one of ten hackers that post there can learn from failure like I did.

Years
*cough*Zel*cough*
^Th-th-th-this :3
So many hackers would be a heck of a lot better off if they did the work before even hinting of their idea to the public.
...well, ok, my sig is of my hack, which I still don't plan to release for a while- but isn't it better to have a decently lengthy release, if you really must release a preview before the final cut?
Anyway, back on topic: @the above person's suggestion to keep the Scrapbox and just empty it... I'm intrigued. It certainly would be more effective if they changed the rules- well, no, reinstated might be appropriate here? Although what's to be done will be done, so no real point in "coulds" or "ifs", eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back