• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Scripting, Mapping, or Spriting?

пзо

zzirRusty
Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2010
    Hmm

Im a Scripter Acctually. However, Im always reconised through mapping.
    I dont think im a good mapper atall.

Scripting Came to me while watching a youtube video.
    I think it was shney gold video? So I Commented
    "How do you create your own events"?
    They replied Go pokecommunity.
    And while I was there I read a few Tutorials, of Pokescript, then eventually regestered
    (After a Long While)

Dunno about mapping Maybe im just a natrual. =D

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2016
    1. Scripting
    2. Mapping and Tileset inserting
    3. Spriting

Scripting.. just comes easy to me I guess. Whenever I scripted I would almost always fail the first time, then I just tried over and over through trial and error and got it fixed. I followed thethethethe's tut and other tuts for scripting in Pokescript, then pokescript started giving me crazy errors and started to become really hard to use, and then I adapted to XSE.. And it truly is a whole new scripting experience =) . Though I do need to brush up on my scritping. My mapping isn't too good (I've only made 4 maps in fact..xD). And spriting and palette editing... I simply suck at... Someone should make a tut on it or something lol

insectduel

ROM-Hacker, YouTube content creator
    Years
  • I've bee mapping for the past 3 months since I started it.
    I don't know script hacking yet.

Currently I'm just learning.

Sean Visinoni

Apple - Think Different ^^
    Years
  • I'm a mapper (tyleset and maps)... i think that maps are not necessay 4 a good hack, but I like this job, and I already have a good scripter, so I don't need to become one.

When I started I was a n00b, but with a little practice a became a little better. I am Still a n00b XD, but non so much as the old times.

I learned to hack on my own.

Years
  • Definately mapping. I don't know how to insert tilesets, and I've only just started scripting. Plus I've been drawing fake regions of pokemon for years - I can actually make them too, but I have no idea to save the region maps onto the rom. :(

I used to sprite a lot on my other forums, but they were mere splices - no scratch sprites I'm hopeless at that. XD

Years
  • I'd say Mapping is my best skill. I started Mapping after learning how to tink around with Advanced Map. The biggest inspiration at first was probably foullump's tutorials for it on Youtube and then after finding Zel and his Shiny Gold I really looked up to him.

Larsie13

Scripting is by far my strongest skill. My mapping is OK, but I really suck at spriting. I have absolutely no graphical talent whatsoever.
    I can make pretty much any script, and I'm gonna make a hack all by myself, for which you would at least have to be good at scripting and be able to map decently. So... yeah, my scripting is definitely better than my mapping and spriting.

Deja Vu

Smug Lord
    Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2014
    I'm still a beginning ROM hacker, but my strongest point is mapping. I know basic scripting, but not full on scripting. I'm still working on spriting, though.

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2009
    Like almost all of em said mine would be mapping Reason being:what would a ROM hack do without a map? that and its really fun to do

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2017
    My strongest skill is scripting.
    A game can't be made without scripting, and It attracts me the most. Scripting is the basis of a game and without it the game is 100% fail. Scripting is also very fun to type something then look at the progress you made.

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2010
    My strongest skill is undoubtedly making overworld sprites. I do it because I really like working with pixel art and animation! It's really cool because you can replace several characters with completely new ones this way (appearance-wise; you still need scripting to make it new!) and to have a completely original hack, you need completely original OW sprites, too.

I developed this skill when I first used Overworld Editor RE (by Hackmew. Thanks so much Hackmew, you're my hero! <3). I had previously dabbled in customizing trainer and pokemon sprites. The only inspiration for this skill I might have had (besides pure creative inspiration from myself) was the Misty sprite from Pokemon Naranja. I keep thinking of how good that was while I'm spriting, and I suppose it's motivation, too. It reminds me that spriting isn't a useless skill, and it gives hacks a unique flair.

And my weakest skills, even though they're kind of off-topic; scripting and mapping. I am really bad at scripting... I need to read more tutorials... and as for mapping, I can map, but a vital part of that is also writing scripts to go with the map. And that's pretty much impossible for me at the moment.

Anyways. Yep.

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2023
    My strongest skill is in spriting. I can make a sprite usually from a base of another sprite, or five, and i will spend hours perfecting a single sprite. I'm also hoping to learn some scripting.

Not a hacker yet, but i'm hoping to become one.

GoldFlareon

Biotic Flareon
    Years
  • I've been spriting for a while now, and that was before I even knew about hacking. I'm fairly good at it, I suppose.
    I'm not too bad at mapping, but I am yet to learn how to script. >.<

~Flareon.

Nikkie.

Nikeiphoros, eh?
    Years
  • Hmmm

I cant really say, like If I have a stronger point or not, so here I go;

Mapping
    At first, I found this hard, but that was when I was using FR tiles.. I used to always
    get complaints about my shadows, so I did my homework, and went underground
    (Did my research for a long time, not being around the forums), Now, I'd
    say Im like a King mapper ;) (Not really). So basically I think im best at this.

Tile Inserting
    Well, here goes.. I first tried this while I was away, and I quickly picked It up.
    So therefore there's not much to tell, But I can tell you who helped me alot;
    Zeikku. This guy is a privlidge to have here on Pokecommunity, as he's a real credit.

Scripting :/
    Ohh lord. Here It comes.. The thing I fear the most.. Now I could never get a grasp
    on this, even though I tried to so much, It just wasn't happening (For me).
    Then along came XSE. Hackmew really made a miricle here, It seemed to be
    much more easier than Pokescript. Ahh then there were no tutorials (That were good)
    So I ran to somone called Casin0 Which is on another forum. He taught me some
    complex things, but still, I never knew alot. Finally, the thing I needed came;
    a decent tutorial (
    diegoisawesome's MEGA-HUGE XSE Scripting Tutorial) This really helped, Easy to understand and such.

Theres my story, lets see you'res!

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
    Years
  • My strongest skill is spriting why well I think its FUN (Everybody at pc glares at HFI)
    What did I say?
    Anyways I have really good patience with sprites so I can do 30 minutes making a sprite so when Im spriting Im super focused
    But Im also learning how to map!

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    Im going to say that mapping is my strong point when it comes to a hack. I find it enjoyable and I like the satifisfaction a good finished map gives.

Back