• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Second pokemon you caught thread

ben cousins

Backspacer
    Years
    Does anyone keep the second pokemon they catch? or do you briefly use it then let it rot awaye in a box? i try to always keep the second guy i get and use him as a vice captain to the starter who's the captain however if i get a really crappy pokemon that will amount to nothing [ledyba,rattata,hoothoot] then i usually ditch it. i mean common who hasn't caught a pidgey straight awaye and kept it for the rest of the journey?

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
    I only ever catch the Pokemon I intend to use on my team, so my second Pokemon is usually chosen with great care. For example, in HGSS, my second Pokemon is always Mareep because she's so darn useful, whereas in Platinum I aim to get a Starly (Staraptor is a boss) and in Emerald I aim for a Zigzagoon (pickup ability, and Linoone is strong is trained right).

After I've beaten the Elite Four is when I go back to complete my 'Dex.

Buttered Coat

I AM BUT A COAT.
    Years
    I'm not very consistent with what I do with my second pokemon. Sometimes I put it in the box and never take it out, sometimes it never leaves my party. My Pidgeot in HG was the second pokemon I got, and I've kept it with me the whole time, but in white, I don't even remember what my second pokemon was. I guess I keep it with me if it's useful and put it in the box if it's not.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Up until B/W I always kept my second Pokemon just because I didn't like having just one, lol. I generally liked the first route Pokemon anyway, so I usually picked out a flying type and that was that.

Minishcap

Fecaloma
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2012
    Depends on which type I choose as a starter, but mainly it is a Flying type I half-keep for Fly and early Bug and Grass zapper (in lack of a good Fire type if I didn't choose it as a starter) and later Fighting destroyer.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    They're usually my HM Slave for a while until I get a better one. After that, poof, into the magic box.

Fluffee

Fluffeeeeeeee
    Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2013
    The first poke I caught on my SS was actually a Geodude, it was obtained on route 3 (I think)

ben cousins

Backspacer
    Years
    in crystal,it was a pidgey in ruby a wingull and in platinum i think it was shinx sometimes my ''second dudes'' level is so high i ditch my starter [i like to be diffrent]

Years
    My second capture in the wild Black was a Patrat, I boxed her but eventually trained her and she's now a Watchog but then I boxed her again.

I kept Lillipup with me early on, she evolved into Herdier (she's now a Stoutland) and I have also boxed her.

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2017
    I usually use my 2nd pokemon as an HM slave. Most of the pokemon in the first couple routes aren't very good anyways. I do sometimes use them in Sinnoh, however, since there are actually some decent pokemon there.

Back