• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Separate Pokemon or Forms?

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I think they are forms as it would make little sense to introduce new pokemon. Though they are possibly different from other pokemon in that they might have their own Pokedex entries unique to them, which if so would be a first.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I think the Kyurem/Reshiram and Kyurem/Zekrom fusions are formes because as mentioned above, it wouldn't make much sense to make brand-new Pokemon right off the bat in the current generation.

Years
I agree with Vaporeon7 and PlatDude, they are different forms and if they were to be treated as new Pokemon, that would cause compatibility issues with B/W and English Pokemon names can only be 10 characters.

I say that Black Kyurem and White Kyurem are new forms, not separate Pokemon.

Years
Do they fit in the Japanese character limit? That's the real question. Since the tweet was in Japanese, as long as they fit in the Japanese character limit they can translate it to something shorter, or even make the games so they can fit an extra character.

As given by Masuda, the names are written ブラックキュレム/ホワイトキュレム which are eight characters long; the limit is five. If they used kanji instead of kana for the Black/White part (黒キュレム/白キュレム), the names are exactly five characters, but that's not the way Masuda wrote them (also I doubt they'd use kanji in a Pokémon's name...) And anyway, the movie trailer clearly shows Kyurem changing forms, so I think this issue is settled.

pokemonpokemonpokemon59

The official Machoke
Years
*Facepalm*
I reckon It's new pokemon.
Why? Because most of the tradition was broken off this gen. So it makes sense. White and Black Kyurem will just be called Kyurem. Kyurem Will go into it's original form while trading then revert to white/black kyurem after trading. In battle, the person using W/B Kyurem will have Kyurem in W/B Form, while In the B/W game, It will not look like kyurems W/B but Kyurems normal form.

WHY DOES NO ONE REMEMBER PLATINUM?!?!?

Skitty1

Highlight my signature :)
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2012
We all know by now that they showed pictures of 2 new pokemon that seemed to be fusions of Reshiram + Kyurem and Zekrom + Kyurem. Well heres what I have been wondering, will these forms be seperate pokemon from Zekrom, Reshiram and Kyurem( As in different Pokedex entries) OR will they be forms of the Pokemon themselves. If they are forms( Like Girantina to Origin Girantina) will they be formes of Reshiram and Zekrom OR forms of Kyurem?

Discuss

Ok before I get started sorry for being thick here... so in B/W2 they might have combined Pokemon and as one entry and also have two separate entries... like this...

bold = its own Pokedex entry
italics = combination

Pokemon A
Pokemon B

Pokemon A + B = Pokemon C

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
Years
  • Age 31
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jan 4, 2023

They've never had two new games like this before. We're in unfamiliar territory here. I was going to quote the rest of your post and basically say the same thing, but going by past precedent is definitely not the way to go at this point in time, considering how unusual this series of events is.

Do they fit in the Japanese character limit? That's the real question. Since the tweet was in Japanese, as long as they fit in the Japanese character limit they can translate it to something shorter, or even make the games so they can fit an extra character.

They'll just be called "Kyurem" in game. After all, Giratina's forms are both called "Giratina" not "Origin Giratina" and whatever its other form is.

Same for Shaymin.

Back