• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Seriously, what is wrong with nintendo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SinisterEternity

→ Friends call me SE, or Neo ~
    Years
    Well, well, Sony copied Nintendo by creating that Wii-like play mode console

Maybe there's nothing new with the 3DS if you look at it under a general view, but it's a new thing compared with the other previous DS series. Maybe Nintendo DS don't have incorporated internet, but you can't say Nintendo is being left behind. I personally think, like some said above, that Nintendo is not focusing on Graphics but especially gameplay and -for some games- storylines.
    Then again, that's my opinion.
    And yes, I do own a PSP and a Nintendo DS. xP

Years
    I personally think, like some said above, that Nintendo is not focusing on Graphics but especially gameplay and -for some games- storylines.

I can't really agree with that. The number of classic games from Nintendo has dropped this generation. There's many more gimmick games, party games and a few of the old Ninty franchises that have been butchered by stupid control methods (See: Zelda DS).

If you have a look at some of the popular non-gimmick games on Wii, (Brawl, Mario Kart, Metroid), most better players will use the Gamecube controller over the Wii. What does that say?

It's not that graphics are such an issue, but it's the way they do them. If you have a look at the more recent DS games, you will see that the 3D (as in polygons>sprites) games struggle hopelessly with the tiny resolution (see: Golden Sun DS, etc) They are horribly aliased. I know that my 3 year old phone (which is now retired) has a higher res than either DS screen. I think that KH 358/2D was one of the only late games to avoid this. It wasn't an issue on Mario Kart DS or Mario64DS, either. It's really strange, because it's different to an ideal that Ninty has always held in the past. If you look at the N64 or GC, both were slightly inferior power-wise to the PS1 and PS2/XBox respectively. Yet they managed to keep the graphics smoother and more timeless by focusing more on the art style than the texture quality. THIS is what we need to focus on. Both Pokemon, Mario and Zelda have succeeded from this cartoon>'realistic' motto in the past and all 3 have had their core series neglected. Pokemon on the Wii is a joke, whereas Colosseum and XD were brilliant.

I love the old Ninty games, but it looks like my next handheld will be a PSP or the like. A single, hi-res, non-touch screen with a huge lack of gimmicks sounds good by me.

/rant.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    No, the PS2 was the least powerful system of the previous generation. A good example of this is the PS2 port of Resident Evil 4 vs the Gamecube original. The XBOX was probably the most powerful, though.

Archer said:
    Pokemon....have succeeded from this cartoon>'realistic' motto in the past

I don't understand what you're saying here.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    For future reference, don't make posts like TS. It's fine to offer your opinion, but that's closer to trolling than to a legitimate post.

I'll leave the thread open because there's some legitimate discussion.

Late

Pokémon Artist
    Years
    When did Nintendo actually say DS is better than PSP?
    If we compare these two handhelds PSP has better graphics and other things, but DS has better games (as some other people said) and it fits better on hands (my cousin who has had PSP for a year tested my DS and first thing he said was that it fits better :D). DS has also 2x more sold units than PSP (GB(C) and GBA have also more than PSP).

I have never heard about Nintendo saying any of their consoles better than others. But Sony laughed at Nintendo's touch screens and motion sensing when DS and Wii came out and now they have those too.

I think there's no way to compare consoles to others (just tried it and failed xD), they all have some things that make them good for other people and others to hate those things.

Barney.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 30, 2015
    when is nintendo going to realize that people want both things, good gameplay and good graphics?

I think about 130million people will disagree with you.

The "people" clearly don't care about high end graphics and super power-houses any more. Both the DS and Wii have practically printed money for Nintendo, and at the end of the day Nintendo is a business, and if it sells, it's getting made. I mean, you can say that Sony and Microsoft have the right idea all you like with their good graphics and high powered engines, but I think that the Move and Kinect have shown, that they don't care what you like, they care about what will sell.

Your argument is wrong on many, many different levels, so I won't go too far into it. And I could sit here all day saying how Nintendo is a far greater company than Sony or Microsoft, but I won't waste my time. All I will say though, is that if it wasn't for Nintendo, we probably wouldn't be gaming today.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Well, the PSP series is literally new boards under the hood. Very few updates compared to Nintendo. When the 3GP (?) was announced, er, rumored and confirmed, it had very little more than what Nintendo has done. The PSP2 does not boast in-game 3D without glasses, 3D imagery, and video, and the Analog stick is on more than just the 3DS.
    Cause dual analog sticks on a handheld and a touch pad have never been done before man.

Ignoring the fact that the PSP 3000 got a built in microphone and a new screen, Nintendo is guilty of the same thing. The PSP got a few redesigns that were minimal at best(not counting the PSP Go), but you shouldn't forget the "upgrade" from the DS to the DSLite and the DSi to the DSi XL.

Even older systems had joystick-like controllers, like the NES.
    wat.
    I also see that Nintendo is more open to homebrew support- Sony is trying to file a lawsuit to "un-jailbreak" the PS3. Nintendo hasn't done squat because they have the brains to know there is nothing they can do besides releasing system updates.
    Um, no. Nintendo basically told the pirates "come at me bro" by flaunting the great security their 3DS had. Just because Sony is more bitter about it doesn't mean that Nintendo doesn't mind.
    I think about 130million people will disagree with you.

The "people" clearly don't care about high end graphics and super power-houses any more.

No, they never cared in the first place. The strongest console has never won a console war.

Years
    I love both my PSP Go and DS Lite, why? exclusive games for each handheld make it worth it, why choose one company when you can choose them all and enjoy the best out of each

Speed

Skyward
    Years
    The NGP is barely even a handheld. It's almost as strong as a PS3, I want to play handheld games on the go, not console games. For that I'll play on my big HD TV, not a small screen.

SinisterEternity

→ Friends call me SE, or Neo ~
    Years
    When did Nintendo actually say DS is better than PSP?
    If we compare these two handhelds PSP has better graphics and other things, but DS has better games (as some other people said) and it fits better on hands (my cousin who has had PSP for a year tested my DS and first thing he said was that it fits better :D). DS has also 2x more sold units than PSP (GB(C) and GBA have also more than PSP).

I have never heard about Nintendo saying any of their consoles better than others. But Sony laughed at Nintendo's touch screens and motion sensing when DS and Wii came out and now they have those too.

I think there's no way to compare consoles to others (just tried it and failed xD), they all have some things that make them good for other people and others to hate those things.

Gotta agree with all this.
    Especially the middle part. (u.u)b

Barney.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 30, 2015

No, they never cared in the first place. The strongest console has never won a console war.

When the Mega Drive came out it stole a lot of sales from the NES, until Nintendo inevitably released the SNES, then things were back to how they should be. Worldwide at least. Europe was another case, people loved the Mega Drive over here, and I'm pretty sure it sold better than the SNES and NES. The bit wars where important and people certainly cared, much more than the do now.

Last edited:

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    When the Mega Drive came out it stole a lot of sales from the NES, until Nintendo inevitably released the SNES, then things were back to how they should be. Worldwide at least. Europe was another case, people loved the Mega Drive over here, and I'm pretty sure it sold better than the SNES and NES. The bit wars where important and people certainly cared, much more than the do now.

The strongest console has, with one exception, never won a console war.*

*-This exception may not have even won a console war.

I believe Luck's point still stands. Juuust saying.

Personally, my vote stays with Nintendo as far as handhelds go. I think this NGP will be another not-a-failure like the PSP is.

MirroRz

You sure?
    Years
    Nintendo was always the "**** graphics, make amazing games" company, but after the N64 that pretty much died. Gamecube was dope, but most of it's games/ideas were made from the N64. I wouldn't care too much about the Wii graphics if the Wii had any good games. Nintendo's either gotta start making sexy masterpieces again, or update the entire system with graphics matching the competition.

Almost everything successful they've had has been a remake or a sequel; they're clinging to Mario and Zelda. Other than those, they don't have alot of great titles, other than Brawl. (Melee is better but Project M makes up for this).

They're still innovative, look at the motion controls. Thing is, they have the idea and fail it completely, Wii motion is balls.

I'd sell my Wii if it weren't for a few of the new games coming out. I.E Skyward Sword, even though I probably won't play it much.

WE ALSO NEED MOAR STARFOX. AND F-ZERO.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    The NGP completely bores me....sure it has some nice features.....but when it all boils down it just seems to me like a sleek glamour model showing off how amazing and wonderful it is and I'm left feeling a bit empty looking at it.

Not only does the 3DS excite me (for the games more than anything else but also the 3D) but I also prefer the Nintendo community to the other gaming communities. People just seem more friendly and the history of the Nintendo community seems the richest and most rewarding.

It's hard to explain...I've just always felt Nintendo consoles were more special and more personal. By comparison the PSP/NGP feels like I'd just be buying a new piece of tech rather than a gaming handheld.

I guess for me it's really a case of Heart VS Power.....and heart will win, every time.

Last edited:

Dartht33bagger

Only plays Gen I and II
    Years
    PSP isn't made by Nintendo iirc, the reason Pokémon isn't available on PSP. PSP vs. DS is something of personal preference. I want to get both because both have games that you can only use in a PSP or a DS.

The PSP is made by Sony....

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
    Years
    IMO, topics like this shouldn't even make it to the "Make a Topic" page...

There is nothing wrong with Nintendo. At all. It's the most successful video game corporation out there >_> I don't see how not "improving graphics" or "letting us watch movies or listen to music" make them "wrong" in any sense when compared to Sony. Nintendo is focused on what a video game corporation should be focused on: game play and games. They have never failed to impress. Simple as that.

What does Sony have? Blue-Ray? Internet? Music? Wow. Ya know, when I buy a game console or portable the first thing I wanna know is "Ooo can I check my Facebook or listen to my music on it?!" Seriously, it's a gaming system, not a friggin' MP3 or DVD Player or laptop!!

The 3DS is clearly superior to the PSP or whatever the hell the latest system is, and no, I'm not saying that from a bias perspective, I'm saying that because it's the truth. Nintendo is always the first to break through to new levels of game play, with Sony always being behind to copy them. Wii has motion control, oh look, now so does Sony! And what's better, we have multi-coloured balls on our controllers!

As far as graphics, dude, really? I'd take a ****** looking game that's actually fun to play over some game with flowery graphics that sucks bull testis.

Years
    IMO, topics like this shouldn't even make it to the "Make a Topic" page...

There is nothing wrong with Nintendo. At all. It's the most successful video game corporation out there >_> I don't see how not "improving graphics" or "letting us watch movies or listen to music" make them "wrong" in any sense when compared to Sony. Nintendo is focused on what a video game corporation should be focused on: game play and games. They have never failed to impress. Simple as that.

What does Sony have? Blue-Ray? Internet? Music? Wow. Ya know, when I buy a game console or portable the first thing I wanna know is "Ooo can I check my Facebook or listen to my music on it?!" Seriously, it's a gaming system, not a friggin' MP3 or DVD Player or laptop!!

The 3DS is clearly superior to the PSP or whatever the hell the latest system is, and no, I'm not saying that from a bias perspective, I'm saying that because it's the truth. Nintendo is always the first to break through to new levels of game play, with Sony always being behind to copy them. Wii has motion control, oh look, now so does Sony! And what's better, we have multi-coloured balls on our controllers!

As far as graphics, dude, really? I'd take a ****** looking game that's actually fun to play over some game with flowery graphics that sucks bull testis.

Although you might think your points are valid, it always depends on the player.

For other gamers, Sony have a lot of good games on their consoles. I play a lot of PS3/PSP only games and I love it for them. I am not too bothered about the whole, blue ray stuff, but having the internet on it is useful, since the whole industry does rely on a lot of internet based modes and so on.

Also, you can't say that it is the 'truth' that the 3DS is better than the PSP, because it is only your opinion and that is all it will be. I don't mean it in a harsh way, but if you state it with 'facts' then it needs to be the truth, because you can't prove that a console is better.

The reason the three main consoles are so different, is because they cover most, if not all, of the gaming market. There is no point making every console the same.

And please don't resort to swearing over something so petty. It is just peoples opinions that they prefer a game to be some what aesthetically attractive.​

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back