• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Shampooing

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I shampoo every day, because otherwise my hair is semi-greasy and even that is enough for me to feel dirty. I use men's Head and Shoulders. Though sometimes I use my body wash. I don't condition. What does conditioning even do besides making your hair softer anyway? My shampoo makes my hair soft enough, and I hate having super soft hair. It doesn't cooperate with me when I try to style it.

Aello

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
  • This is gonna sound weird but I really don't shampoo much. I usually shampoo every third day and rinse the rest of the time.

When its clean it tends to get frizzy easily and I find that the less often I mess with it the less frizz I have overall. So since I have a job where my hair needs to be out of my way anyway, I usually work it around when I'll be doing out of work things and want to wear it down and then keep it in a ponytail while it'll be more oily.

I find that keeping the natural oil in my hair for a just little while helps more than any leave in conditioner or smoothing gel, hairspray, etc. Whenever I used a product I'd have to wash more often because by the end of the day my hair would feel gross. But more washing equals more damage and therefore more frizz.

I like garnier the most, but I switch products every other time to avoid build-up, too.

Shhmew

Years
  • My hair gets greasy quickly so I use shampoo and conditioner every day. Are you not supposed to?
    From what I've read, shampooing strips your hair of its natural oils. When you're shampooing every day, your hair produces more oil to compensate. This results in your hair getting greasy and oily much faster than normal. If you slow it down to once every few days, your hair will eventually get used to it and slow down on the oil producing.

Of course, everyone's hair/scalp is different, and some people simply need to shampoo more often than others to keep their hair in check.

Luc-R-io

Unhatched Riolu Egg
    Years
    • Seen May 1, 2015
    I have to clean my hair every other day now. I used to be able to was once or twice a week, but now my hair gets gross really quickly.
    I use Pantene. I really don't like Burt's Bee shampoo because it doesn't seem to work well for me...

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    TRESemmé is decent and comes in large bottles. As a bonus, the packaging isn't blatant and it's not arbitrarily scented with whatever our culture associates with 'freshness' in this decade.

Hannah

beep bop boop
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Nov 16, 2021
    I shampoo everyday mainly because my hair gets really oily if I don't and I always assumed that everyone uses shampoo daily. I use Dove most of the time but sometimes I also use Hana. I don't use conditioners, though.

Years
  • I wash my hair whenever it needs to be washed, so it really depends.
    Since I go running ( swimming if it's summer ) everyday in a heavily wooded area, stuff tends to get in my hair ( shoulder length ) and that means I need to wash it afterwards.
    Once the physical exercise is over, I have to take a shower anyways so it doesn't bother me.
    Also, I stopped using shampoos a few years ago, because products with proteins, silicone compounds and other similar chemicals don't have a nice effect on your hair. Instead, I buy leaves, seeds and herbs that are known to have beneficial effects on the hair, and prepare them at home ( it usually involves grinding, heating for 10 seconds or so, and if the concoction doesn't mix too well, it has to be put in the freezer enough time for it to start getting a bit more solid, or add a bit of conditioner, which still has to be protein/silicone free, otherwise I have to make that at home too ).

Years
  • I have to shampoo pretty much daily, and I condition every time I shampoo even though I probably don't need it. My hair gets too oily to not wash daily. I've heard the "shampoo less and it'll stop being oily" but I'm too impatient to wait it out. Also, I use a lot of hairspray to keep my hair from falling out, since I work foodservice. Shampoo gets it out (although I'm sure water would too). My hair feels fine to me so I don't really care about my washing habits.

Maybe someday I'll try dry shampoo. I hear it's good for in-between actual washes and gets rid of the oil.

At the moment, I'm using some Gariner shampoo for color-treated hair, even though I dyed my hair back to its natural color several months ago. Just using it all up for now.

Aello

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
  • I wash my hair whenever it needs to be washed, so it really depends.
    Since I go running ( swimming if it's summer ) everyday in a heavily wooded area, stuff tends to get in my hair ( shoulder length ) and that means I need to wash it afterwards.
    Once the physical exercise is over, I have to take a shower anyways so it doesn't bother me.
    Also, I stopped using shampoos a few years ago, because products with proteins, silicone compounds and other similar chemicals don't have a nice effect on your hair. Instead, I buy leaves, seeds and herbs that are known to have beneficial effects on the hair, and prepare them at home ( it usually involves grinding, heating for 10 seconds or so, and if the concoction doesn't mix too well, it has to be put in the freezer enough time for it to start getting a bit more solid, or add a bit of conditioner, which still has to be protein/silicone free, otherwise I have to make that at home too ).

That's interesting, do you mind going into a little more detail about what you use? I'm curious. :)

Years
  • Sure I can!
    If I don't have time to prepare a concoction, I usually use the aritha ( soapnut in english, I think ) powder, by putting enough of it in a bowl and adding water until it becomes a paste, then apply it on my scalp for no more than 5 minutes; of course, after I'm over, I need to wash it thoroughly, but the results are great. This powder has anti-dandruff properties and you can even put it on your face to enhance your complexion, but I personally don't.
    As a conditioner, you can mix honey with aloe vera gel and add your own favourite conditioner ( stir the mix with a spoon, and if you see stuff tends to separate, freeze until it becomes solid enough ). Just comb it on your hair after it's wet, and leave it on for an hour, if possible, then wash thoroughly. I don't use honey in this mix for personal reasons but it's really good, and the ingredients aren't hard to come by.
    What I use instead, is curry leaves, shikakai, lime peel, green gram and fenugreek seeds; I just mix and grind them, and voila. There are many, many more recipes for natural hair treatment, this is just my personal favourite, so if you are interested, you might want to search more for yourself, I can say the results are great. :)

Oh, also, as a leave in oil I use coconut oil, because it's the easiest one to get, but there are other ( rarer ) oils that give better results.

an illegible mess.

[i]i'll make [b]tiny changes[/b] to earth.[/i]
    Years
  • i shampoo my hair every time when im in the shower, which is everyday. my hair gets really dirty and greasy easily so im constantly washing it out.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I know it's better to not shampoo every day, but I've been doing it since I was a kid and the routine just stuck. I feel gross if I don't shampoo every morning. I had a friend who could skip it for days and her hair still looked fine, so jealous of her.

Conditioner makes my hair smoother and a lot easier to brush, my hair just gets really tangled if I don't use it. The downside is conditioner also makes my hair flatter, so I tend to skip it nowadays.

TARDIS

wherever, whenever
    Years
  • I shampoo every third day or so. My hair is loooong, almost covering my back. And I love it that way 8) Should really trim it a bit though, haha.

Anyways, I recently tried a bit more expensive shampoo than those I usually buy. And it's so worth it. When it comes to your hair, I guess you should go for quality care products. Because having nice hair really makes you feel nice. Sorta.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    I shower and wash my hair daily, but now after reading about this making your hair oily quicker I might reconsider! Is that actually true, or? I think I'll go google that now haha.

Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2014
    I shampoo and bathe every other day.

That's gross, I know. I think I'm going to start doing it everyday.

Back