• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Shin Pokemon Red/Blue/Green/JP builds (Bugfix, AI, and QoL patch)

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2024
    Did a quick check with a hitmonchan in the box and the gender symbols toggled on. Viewing the stat screen of the hitmonchan while it's in the box and holding down select for statexp does not crash on on the second page. This is using a fresh compile of v1.16.

I can't seem to replicate your bug. If you attach your .sav file I might be able to see what is going wrong.

I'm playing on Goomba via GBA flashcard, it's probably just me then if you couldn't replicate it. Unfortunately, the save file is a different structure for .gb/.gbc and can't be converted by normal means. I'll give you it if you want, but it won't work unless you're playing on a Revo K101.

Thanks for the help regardless. This emulator has been known to be buggy when playing mods so I wouldn't worry about it.

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
    Years
    • Seen today
    I'm playing on Goomba via GBA flashcard, it's probably just me then if you couldn't replicate it. Unfortunately, the save file is a different structure for .gb/.gbc and can't be converted by normal means. I'll give you it if you want, but it won't work unless you're playing on a Revo K101.

Thanks for the help regardless. This emulator has been known to be buggy when playing mods so I wouldn't worry about it.
    This may not help, but I can vouch for Shin working perfectly on a GBC flashcard. That may cost you a good bit of dough if you're wishing to play gen 2 games too though.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I'm playing on Goomba via GBA flashcard

Yeah, that emulator still has some bugs to work out. Personally, I use the latest version of BGB for development due to its accuracy in replicating hardware and its built-in debugging tools. When I play for pleasure, I have a stack of cheap bootleg carts that I reflash then play using my SGB or GBC.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2024
    This may not help, but I can vouch for Shin working perfectly on a GBC flashcard. That may cost you a good bit of dough if you're wishing to play gen 2 games too though.

I actually had an 80 dollar GBC flash card that worked well but gave it away. I might get another one soon. Thanks for the advice.

Yeah, that emulator still has some bugs to work out. Personally, I use the latest version of BGB for development due to its accuracy in replicating hardware and its built-in debugging tools. When I play for pleasure, I have a stack of cheap bootleg carts that I reflash then play using my SGB or GBC.

Unfortunately, I love playing on portable only devices. I don't know of a portable BGB. I have heard of its fantastic debugger and wish they'd make a better GBC emulator for GBA. (Goomba has so many graphical issues when playing even Crystal)

Also, I am playing 1.15 currently. I made some basic changes and didn't want to update and have to redo them. I noticed one small issue was with the random trainer battle. After it plays Final battle music after it loads a battle with Blue, after I defeat him the winning theme continues to play (Like it does in the normal battle with Blue) but doesn't go away even with a restart or leaving most areas.

Now, certain town areas are playing the wrong music. (For instance, Pokemon center playing in the underground path) I don't think it will affect anything major, but I did see the changelog showing that you made a change to the music that plays when facing that trainer. How important is it that I update from 1.15?

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Also, I am playing 1.15 currently. I made some basic changes and didn't want to update and have to redo them. I noticed one small issue was with the random trainer battle. After it plays Final battle music after it loads a battle with Blue, after I defeat him the winning theme continues to play (Like it does in the normal battle with Blue) but doesn't go away even with a restart or leaving most areas.

Now, certain town areas are playing the wrong music. (For instance, Pokemon center playing in the underground path) I don't think it will affect anything major, but I did see the changelog showing that you made a change to the music that plays when facing that trainer. How important is it that I update from 1.15?

Confirmed and diagnosed. I posted a quick write-up on the github about it. You can clear the issue by beating the E4 again.

1.16 had some very minor fixes and tweaks, improved the AI with switching and using stat-down moves, added a New Game+ feature, and fixed the missingno event not activating. If these are not important to you, then you're fine.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2024
    Hey, I tried to update to 1.16 via the github source but after compiling, it erased my save upon booting the newly compiled game. Also, it appeared to be in color, so I assume a lot has happened since the last update. I'd really like to keep my save (luckily, I backed it up) but can't seem to continue using 1.16. I'd really like to get Missingno to work again lol.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Hey, I tried to update to 1.16 via the github source but after compiling, it erased my save upon booting the newly compiled game. Also, it appeared to be in color, so I assume a lot has happened since the last update. I'd really like to keep my save (luckily, I backed it up) but can't seem to continue using 1.16. I'd really like to get Missingno to work again lol.

Likely Goomba-related. Save your game on the Pallet Town map. Then see if you can use a program called Goomba Save Manager to extract your save into the regular .sav format. Post it here and I'll see if it will load.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2024
    Likely Goomba-related. Save your game on the Pallet Town map. Then see if you can use a program called Goomba Save Manager to extract your save into the regular .sav format. Post it here and I'll see if it will load.

That's actually where I saved at. And I didn't realize that Goomba had a save manager. Good to know. When I have a moment later, I'll post it here

SPF

Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2021
    I've been trying to add a new move using your GitHub repository but I keep getting an error when I try to 'make' so maybe you could tell me if it's possible or where I'm making an error.
    I've taken into account to edit the constants/move_constants.asm, text/move_names.asm, data/moves.asm, data/animations.asm and the order in which I place the new move (after Substitute).

This is the error I'm getting and I don't know what type of error it's referring to:
    ERROR: main.asm(901) -> data/moves.asm(178) -> data/moves.asm::move(6):
    syntax error
    error: Assembly aborted (1 errors)!

This is the line 178 in the report that gives the error:
    move AMBUSH_GRIP, NO_ADDITIONAL_EFFECT 50, BUG, 100, 10

Thank you for your time and your work.

SPF

Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2021
    Thank you.
    I can't believe the ammount of times I've been trying the same thing without realizing that. u_u

SPF

Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2021
    Hi, I get another error after editing the files to add a new move and trying to compile.

ERROR: main.asm(2096) -> engine/overworld/elevator.asm(67):
    Section 'bank1E' is too big (max size = 0x4000 bytes, reached 0x4001).
    make: *** [Makefile:42: main_red.o] Error 1

I looked at the bank1E and the only file from there that I edit is the data/animations.asm so I wonder if there is a way to make it possible to add new moves, don't know if moving that file to another bank or whatever.

I hope I'm not bothering you with these questions haha 😅

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Hi, I get another error after editing the files to add a new move and trying to compile.

I hope I'm not bothering you with these questions haha 😅

This error means you have run out of space in the rom bank. Each assembly command takes up a certain number of bytes; the syntax you type is just a visual stand-in for numerical command codes (like how my dad used to code when he was in college). Each rom bank has 16,384 bytes (4000 in hex).

Bank 1E is particularly packed ever since I backported the GBC support from Yellow version. Moving elevator.asm to somewhere else looks to be the easiest thing to do since its contents are only ever accessed from other banks.

Since these are general questions regarding pokered and assembly errors, I suggest that you will find better tech support on the pret team's discord. The folks there are nice as well as much more active and knowledgeable than I.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Version 1.17 has been uploaded. The changelog applies equally to both master and lite branches.

- Fixed a transformed pokemon having the wrong palette
    - Fixed the cable club text borders having the wrong palette
    - A revision control function has been added that will cancel unsupported cable links
    - Choosing the cable club colosseum initiates a version control handshake
    --- Will hang and cancel the link if the other game is incompatible with battles
    --- Lite/Master branch only supports battles with other similar lite/master branch builds (cross-linking between lite and master is not compatible).
    - Audio engine has been back-ported from Yellow version
    --- Fixes some channel conflicts between cries and the low-health alarm
    --- Fixes some audio hiccups with Yellow's color palettes on the GBC
    --- Press SELECT on the option menu to change the audio mixing option

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Minor update. The code base now compiles a Green Version. The Green Version ips patches have been uploaded and should be applied to a USA Blue rom.

Years
    • Seen Jan 8, 2021
    I just forked the lite branch today, and tried to compile before I made any changes. Got this error:

rgbasm -D _BLUE -h -o main_blue.o main.asm
    ERROR: main.asm(16) -> home.asm(4376) -> home.asm::print_digit(4359):
    syntax error
    make: *** [Makefile:48: main_blue.o] Error 1

This is my first time trying your version, I was hoping to use it as a base for a rom hack. Any idea what could be wrong??

Edit: Just tried the master branch, same error with the print_digit function (but a different line number of course)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I just forked the lite branch today, and tried to compile before I made any changes. Got this error:

rgbasm -D _BLUE -h -o main_blue.o main.asm
    ERROR: main.asm(16) -> home.asm(4376) -> home.asm::print_digit(4359):
    syntax error
    make: *** [Makefile:48: main_blue.o] Error 1

This is my first time trying your version, I was hoping to use it as a base for a rom hack. Any idea what could be wrong??

Edit: Just tried the master branch, same error with the print_digit function (but a different line number of course)

Seems like you are trying to compile with rgbds-0.4.2-pre version. This is a pre-release and is currently unstable. You should delete any .gbc, .sym. and .o files in your directory and compile using an earlier version. I personally use rgbds-0.4.0 version.

Back