• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Shinies.

Emburn

<3
Years
  • I've played Pokemon for ages and throughout all that time, all I've caught is a Shiny Weedle.

How many have you caught?

And are there any tricks to catching them or is it 100% luck?

Squidchan

The Lady Cthulhu
    Years
  • I've played Pokemon for ages and throughout all that time, all I've caught is a Shiny Weedle.

How many have you caught?

And are there any tricks to catching them or is it 100% luck?

I haven't caught any shinies, but I did breed myself a shiny Squirtle. That wasn't luck at all, just pure hard work on my part, I put so many hours into riding my bike up and down the road in front of the daycare and hatched countless eggs. I didn't want to look at the stats and nature of my shiny Squirtle, for fear of being disappointed.

Fernando Torres

Class on grass
    Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2014
    I've caught 1 box full of shinies. It took me 3 generations but I managed to do it in B/W. There is a strategy but it takes to long to explain. It's also tedious.

nundo

Quick! Dance like an eggplant!
    Years
  • Caught 6 shinies in my whole 'career'.

Shiny goldeen
    Shiny poochyena
    Shiny feebas (happiest moment of my life roflmao)
    Shiny axew
    Shiny seedot
    Shiny larvitar

Sableye~

Back to PC~
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2018
    I've been playing Pokemon for nearly 3 years now.

My current shiny list is-
    Bidoof (RE)
    Drifloon (SR)
    Chikorita [2] (SR)
    Shinx (RE)
    Ralts [2] (Pokeradar)
    Ponyta (RE)
    Golbat (RE)
    Gyarados (LoR)
    Skitty [3] (Pokeradar)

I've had pretty good luck, I'd say. I used to shiny hunt a lot more than I do now; I've lost interest in it lately.

Dark Zapdos

Arose from Darkness
    Years
  • I've caught a shinny Geodude on pearl, I no amazing right, but I never do wild battles while playing, so my chance of ever coming across one is very slim.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Throughout my entire life, I've only been able to catch four shiny Pokémon. My first shiny was a shiny Hoothoot in Pokémon Silver. I've trained it up to make it evolve, and kept it on my team through the whole game. Caterpie was my second shiny, and I caught it in Pokémon FireRed. My third shiny was a Linoone. I caught it in Route 119 in Pokémon Emerald. Scraggy was my last shiny, and it was caught in Pokémon White. I'd throw shiny Gyarados somewhere in there, but it wouldn't really count since (almost) everyone has one of these. xD

Mintyy

Minty~
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Jun 4, 2019
    I hatched a Shiny Plusle in Ruby and Saphire! I haven't hatched/caught others yet, but I've traded for shinies. I have a shiny Azumarill, Ditto, Mew (which I think is fake), Garchomp and a Gyarados,

Sirfetch’d

I have caught 4 aside from the red Gyarados. I caught one shiny Sunkern in Emerald which was my first shiny, I caught 2 shiny Nidoran females in SoulSilver and in White I caught a shiny Venipede.

Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2020
    I've caught... *counting to myself*... um... 14 of them over the years, starting with Leaf Green, and not counting placed stuff like the Gyarados in Johto or the Haxorus in Unova.

I don't hunt them or anything like that - I just run into them from time to time. The only "trick" to it, as near as I can tell, is to take your time through the games. I use a lot of different pokemon through the course of a game, so I have to grind, and I go everywhere and never use Repels, so I fight lots of battles. That means lots of pokemon encounters, and that means lots of opportunities for shinies. That's pretty much it, really.

PokeChris123

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • Only shinnies I've managed to get are Roselia (sometime after beating Diamond, my first shiny ever!), Gyarados (at Lake of Rage in Soul Silver) and Starly (right after Dawn gave me Pokeballs in Platinum I encountered her).

Years
  • I've caught a fair share of shiny Pokemon:

• Duskull (Ruby)
    • Budew (Diamond)
    • Graveler (Diamond, SoulSilver)
    • Unown-U (Diamond)
    • Farfetch'd (SoulSilver)
    • Excadrill (Black)

I also have a Red Gyarados in SoulSilver, but he doesn't count. And if you noticed I have two shiny Gravelers!

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • The only shiny I have caught is my shiny Gigalith, which I caught as a Boldore on Victory road.

I've traded for a few shinies which include a shiny Charizard, Dragonite, Raiku, and Lugia.

I don't if they count, but I don't care.

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
    Years
  • OH i had a fw shinies i think i have like 2-3 in in SS but the most are actually in White 2.
    IDK about tricks but my system is "PURE SPAMMING THE SHT OUT OF TALL GRASS"

Altair1

Willpower
    Years
  • I've caught a few shiny Pokemon who aren't with me anymore since I traded off the games... I actually only have one on hand.

Ruby/Emerald (can't remember which): Electrike
    Diamond: Machop, Wooper (I currently have the Wooper, caught it in the Great Marsh!)
    Black: Nidoran (f) a random hatch!

I fainted a shiny Steelix in my Platinum Version, a critical hit from my Garchomp's Dragon Claw! ...

Years
  • My current shiny list is-
    Bidoof (RE)
    Lawl. :P

Out of my whole Poke mission, I've been playing since Ruby came out, I have only encountered 5 shinies, and caught 4 (In fact, only really recently-ish (I'd say a year ago, maybe two). I never even knew they existed until I saw a youtube video 'How to find shinies').
    My shiny list is;
    -Shiny Psyduck - Pearl. (My first ever encounter with a shiny.. I accidently killed it.. And cried for only 20 minutes I'll have you know. :P)
    -Zubat - Emerald (Almost as bad as bidoof)
    -Electrode - Sapphire (This was the most intense pokemon battle ever.. I thought he was going to selfdestruct.
    -Giratina - Platinum (My friend gave it to me in trade from a hack, still awesome though)
    -Voltorb - Platinum (Trade from another friend, it is also lvl 100 for some reason..)

So really, I've only actually encountered 3 shinies by luck, after so many years. Oh and, there is a way on how to find shinies, it's called grinding (I'm pretty sure anyway, and you get a line of pokemon battle of the exact same pokemon, and eventually you'll find a shiny. I haven't succeeded though, but it's good experience points.

Years
    • Seen May 25, 2014
    I've been playing for years, and I have not found a single shiny pokemon in any of my games. Except for the red Gyarados, but again, that one doesn't count.

I'm sure I'll find one eventually. :)

Back