• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] ~>{*Shiny Hunters Club}<~

G-Money

Polychromatic Iridescence
Years
  • Shiny Chikorita!!!!! 18,058 Johto starters (6,022 Chikorita)! I remembered not to SR over it this time, haha. New personal record for shinies in a month for me! :)

Good luck with your Johto starters hunt!

Thank you!! That luck was exactly what I needed! :D

Shiny Miltank

Congrats!

Huge congrats on your shinies too G! I assume you must be getting back to hunting a bit more nowadays huh? :3

As far as your above post, I agree completely with chain fishing and pokeradar. The odds with both the methods are ridiculously high to include.
    GenVI MM isn't confirmed to have been changed at all, and I really don't think it has personally.
    And how about what we did with the shiny charm, having to find two shinies as the odds have been precisely cut in half? For the dex, the club as a whole would have to find two of the same shiny for it to be put in the dex.

Haha, I might be hunting a little more lately! :D

That's a really great idea about GenVI! That way everyone can still hunt in GenVI, but it's still fair to people hunting in the other games.

Tentacool!

3. I am unlikely to participate in it unless I get an entry by luck, as I prefer to focus on IV breeding first and foremost and rarely do any hunting other than egg hatching. I can barely stand soft-resetting and will surely not be doing wild encounters.

Congrats on the Tentacool!

I think a lot of the hunts are probably going end up being egg hunts anyway. REs go a lot faster, but for a hunt for a specific Pokemon, REing includes a good chance that a shiny found will be some other Pokemon on the route!

When I saw this thread, I thought I need to check it out. And, I'm joining because hunting shinies is really fun n.n (most of the time). Currently, I have Golem, Venomoth, Raticate, Vanilluxe and Sylveon. I'll post pictures as soon as I can ^^ I'm also searching in Friend Safari for new shinies I can catch. Good luck everybody !

Welcome!

caught a shiny senret and bred a shiny charmander.

Congrats on those two!

--------------------------------

7904 Eevee

Paulthagerous

Master of the Dragonites
    Years
  • So found this one in the Friend Safari a few days ago, 31's in Attack and Defence:

~>{*Shiny Hunters Club}<~

So fairy and type change for Dec quest :)

Anyway,

As for the team full dex, I think that is a good idea. My thinking though would be that we still have some sort of monthly or yearly quests, even if it is easier, to go with the team one.

For the group one, I think that MM or RE in any version would be fine. Also, I would allow a Pokemon found in Friend Safari IF it had 3+ 31 IV's. Therefore it can still be used, but there is only a 4/31 chance that the one found would count, thereby evening out the odds.

I would also say that if we were looking for (eg) Zubat, then any of it's evolutions would cover the whole family (should someone find a Golbat for example.

As to the 'individual' one, I would make it a yearly quest whereby you have to find one of every type across the year (excluding fairy for those without a 3ds). It would be a decent challenge for the year, but if you are busy for some of it you can catch up later. And if it was dual type, you can choose which one it counts towards (but not both).

Just my thoughts though.

Akidatheart

Pokémom
    Years
  • Hi everybody! Nothing new here.. but.. I'm looking for a "strategy" to use in this new generation of shiny hunting.. which pokeballs are you keeping on hand to use and do you have a favorite "false swipe" Poke? Also, is there a new Pokemon that can learn spore and false swipe? or yawn and false swipe? I'm thinking it would need to be a fairly powerful pokemon because it needs to be able to take a few hits without needing to be healed.. Any tips much appreciated. {:3}
    Kim

Paulthagerous

Master of the Dragonites
    Years
  • Hi everybody! Nothing new here.. but.. I'm looking for a "strategy" to use in this new generation of shiny hunting.. which pokeballs are you keeping on hand to use and do you have a favorite "false swipe" Poke? Also, is there a new Pokemon that can learn spore and false swipe? or yawn and false swipe? I'm thinking it would need to be a fairly powerful pokemon because it needs to be able to take a few hits without needing to be healed.. Any tips much appreciated. {:3}
    Kim

The 3 easiest ways are Chain Fishing, Pokeradar, Friend Safari. Google thesen if you need to know.

There is then breeding or just plain old encounters. Sounds like you are after the encounters. This is how I do it:

Unless it can run, quick ball straight away. Often works if target has high capture rate
    Using Parasect, spore and false swipe to 1 hp. IF can hurt itself, just spore.
    Throw repeat balls (if already have one), net ball or lure ball if bug or water, or ultra balls if none of the above.

I like parasect, think it is cool and strong enough :)

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
    Kim

Paul pretty much covered it but I thought I'd mention Smeargle. It can sketch False Swipe,Spore, and Heal Pulse. I keep Heal pulse just in case...you can never be too safe when it comes to shinies.

Paulthagerous

Master of the Dragonites
    Years
  • Paul pretty much covered it but I thought I'd mention Smeargle. It can sketch False Swipe,Spore, and Heal Pulse. I keep Heal pulse just in case...you can never be too safe when it comes to shinies.

Smeargle is definitely good too and the more commonly used one. I just personally find his stats to be a bit low if hunting high leveled Pokemon. He can learn sweet moves though. But everyone has their go to guys :)

Chr. Draco

Spatial Rift
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2024
    congrats on all catches and welcome to all new members.

Shiny!!!! My over-two-year-long Icefall Cave has finally given me a shiny - Golbat on #12340! What a number to get a shiny on, haha.

December is definitely my favorite month. December 2011 gave me 3 shinies and December 2013 has given me 3 shinies, and I got 2 shinies in the 23 months in between, haha. Yay December!

Spoiler:

I was thinking that chain fishing and Pokeradar should be excluded. 1/8192 and MM (GenIV/GenV) should definitely be allowed, but I'm not totally sure how we should handle the GenVI odds...shinies are more common now, but if you get a random 1/4096 shiny in the wild, it should probably count...but what about GenVI MM? We could discuss this further before the end of the year. I suppose it would make it fair for everyone if we required 1/8192 for the Dex, but on the other hand, that would exclude hunting on GenVI games...we can be open to whatever people want to do.

We could do that! And congrats on the shiny Mankey!

Those are some good ideas, Chr. Draco! What were you thinking about for the three-month rally?

Spoiler:

----------

So I figured that I'd try to knock out my two 10,000+ hunts together, so I continued SRing for the Johto starters while hunting in Icefall Cave. 16677 Johto starters so far!

Still thinking on how to make the rally interesting, have been busy lately and have to organize some ideas, I'll let you know soon.

Hi everybody! Nothing new here.. but.. I'm looking for a "strategy" to use in this new generation of shiny hunting.. which pokeballs are you keeping on hand to use and do you have a favorite "false swipe" Poke? Also, is there a new Pokemon that can learn spore and false swipe? or yawn and false swipe? I'm thinking it would need to be a fairly powerful pokemon because it needs to be able to take a few hits without needing to be healed.. Any tips much appreciated. {:3}
    Kim

Most of the tips that everyone have said are good.
    In my case I most of the time use pokemon that can have moves like amnesia and iron defense or buy x ítems so that they have full defenses and also raise their level to the point I know they can resist. I preffer to use paralisis since it can give you extra turns and you don't have to inflict the status condition constantly, of course sleep is better in terms of catching, but the catching rate is still random (at least for me) so anything can happen. Always have a lot of healing items or use a pokemon that can heal itself. In case you have to hunt for pokemon that can selfdestruct always use a pokemon with damp ability. If you are looking for natures/gender/type you can use abilities like synchronise/cute charm/ magnetpull-static (Steel and electric respectively).
    In pokeballs almost everything they have said + dusk balls when hunting at night or in caves and timer ball in case the battle last too long (like legends).

I think that cover most of it.

Cya everyone and happy hunting.

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    Hi everybody! Nothing new here.. but.. I'm looking for a "strategy" to use in this new generation of shiny hunting.. which pokeballs are you keeping on hand to use and do you have a favorite "false swipe" Poke? Also, is there a new Pokemon that can learn spore and false swipe? or yawn and false swipe? I'm thinking it would need to be a fairly powerful pokemon because it needs to be able to take a few hits without needing to be healed.. Any tips much appreciated. {:3}
    Kim
    Personally I use Aegislash for shiny hunting since it can learn false swipe and has the added bonus of being a ghost type (immune to take down and final gambit). Then there's some abilities and moves in this guide you may want to check out: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/User:Missingno._Master/The_Shiny_Hunter's_Guide

Thanks to Missingno. Master I captured a shiny Shuppet today in the friend safari. If I didn't have a Haunter ready with taunt, he would have killed himself with curse. The guide also covers annoying moves like Whirlwind/Teleport and Selfdestruct/Explosion. Definitely go check it out.

Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    Hi, I just was playing through Emerald and was surfing in route 107 and bam! random shiny wingull XD Well, just that. It has serious nature but is a shiny anyway :3

Last edited:

Runasutaru

Guardian Spectre
    Years
  • I seem to be on a roll, today! (and yesterday late night)

First I got a Shiny Ninetales in the Friend Safari while training my new Zoroark; traded that for a Moltres. Then, while doing the same thing today, I got a Shiny Shuppet (I had sound off, so I only noticed when I glanced down and saw the different tint). The Shuppet is still with me. And, JUST NOW...

Spoiler:

My second favourite Shiny, the soon-to-be Ninetales! I was breeding with a foreign Ditto, but a rather fast hatch (probably less than three boxes) still caught me off-guard. Also, four max IVs! HP, SpA, SpD, Spe. Dayum!

@Akidatheart: There's really nothing I can say that hasn't been said. I rarely bring a proper hunting team with me - Quick Ball gets it unless I want it in another ball, most of the time. Just pick some 2-3 reliable guys in terms of abilities and you'll be doing fine!

Congratulations to all captures! May the hunts keep rolling in.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2018
    Last night I was intending to RNG for a shiny Totodile. However, I messed up with the amount of taps and accidentally set the parents as 'international' when they are not. (It's been too long haha.)

I was surprised when the egg hatched and was, in fact, a shiny. I ran a search for the seed without international parents to find out if it would've worked regardless, and it didn't come up. I somehow managed to breed a shiny Totodile without even MM.

Its IVs are 28/31/31/x/7/3 and has a Careful nature. Nothing worth using competitively, but I am in the process of EV training him for in-game use.

G-Money

Years
  • 8750 Eevee
    150 Snorunt

So I decided to try Runa's IV breeding method for my Froslass hunt. It's taking a lot longer than REing, but it's pretty likely that when I hatch a shiny, it'll have like 3 perfect IVs, which will be pretty cool. There's a good chance that I'll have to hatch two shinies too, since Froslass can only evolve from female Snorunt, so my odds are going to be more like 1/16384, "lol". Shiny Glalie is really awesome too though, so I wouldn't mind having to hatch two. Especially if they have awesome IVs!

I think I'm also going to try leaving Ruby on with my DS charging for a day or so and then start REing for Nincada to finish up that hunt. Leaving the DS on should eliminate the frames/dry battery problem. Maybe I could hunt for Duskull that way, too...

Spoiler:

Years
  • Hi guys! I think it's about time I join this wonderful place. I've been very into shinies since.. 2004, I'd say, and have obtained a fair few since. :D

Some of my older shinies are my two shiny Shinx that I got from chaining in Diamond, shiny Dustox, shiny Loudred, shiny Volbeat.. but sadly I no longer have these guys as I was dumb and started a new file over all my Pokemon. My newer ones that I still have are shiny Rattata, Gastly, Psyduck, Hoppip, Horsea (x2), Clauncher, Sandshrew, Magikarp, Remoraid, Treecko, Squirtle, Mudkip, Eevee, Houndour, Glaceon, Murkrow.. so a fair bit. n_n; I'm currently on the hunt for a shiny Zangoose. :)

G-Money

Years
  • WOW!!! Shiny Zigzagoon!!! {XD}

I started up Ruby when my DS was about to run out and figured I'd try to get around the internal battery problem by just leaving it running, and BAM! A shiny Zigzagoon about an hour and a half in. I'm going to keep on hunting on Route 116 for another shiny (without turning off the game) to see if I can try for Nincada (or Taillow/Whismur/Skitty). I had only done 113 encounters today, but the shiny Zig came on number 2337 overall (I started the hunt in February 2011 on my second post in the club!).

This is my first Ruby shiny in almost 7 years, haha.

Hi guys! I think it's about time I join this wonderful place. I've been very into shinies since.. 2004, I'd say, and have obtained a fair few since. :D

Some of my older shinies are my two shiny Shinx that I got from chaining in Diamond, shiny Dustox, shiny Loudred, shiny Volbeat.. but sadly I no longer have these guys as I was dumb and started a new file over all my Pokemon. My newer ones that I still have are shiny Rattata, Gastly, Psyduck, Hoppip, Horsea (x2), Clauncher, Sandshrew, Magikarp, Remoraid, Treecko, Squirtle, Mudkip, Eevee, Houndour, Glaceon, Murkrow.. so a fair bit. n_n; I'm currently on the hunt for a shiny Zangoose. :)

Welcome to the club! That's quite a few shinies you have there, haha. Good luck on your Zangoose hunt!

EDIT: And now I just got Pokerus leveling up a Dwebble so it wouldn't forget Spikes as an Egg Move to pass to Snorunt. Absolutely crazy luck!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    Just got a shiny skiddo off pokeradar.

It was quite the bumpy ride. Since yesterday I've been trying to do a few chains but couldn't get past 15. Today I tried my luck again and got to a chain of 39 when i saw a shiny patch and right below a fast shaking patch. Since this was my first shiny patch I was unsure about which one was the shiny one and I went for the bottom one to find it was a regular :/ . I then got to the chain of 40 and started resetting like a madman, hoping to reclaim that shiny patch when I accidentally misclicked and used the dowsing machine ;_;
    At that point I was so mad, but I tried my luck on another skiddo chain. It was then, at a chain of 2 that the weird upbeat tempo music started playing. I reset once and there it was. My beautiful female shiny skiddo with a sassy nature.

Whew...

Also, welcome to all the new members and congrats on recent shinies.

~>{*Shiny Hunters Club}<~

Last edited:
    Years
  • G-Money

Years
  • "lol" this is ridiculous. Shiny Taillow!! Exactly 2300 encounters since shiny Zigzagoon, same Ruby save. This came at about 27 hours in. I'm going to leave the game running and see if I can try for that Nincada, even at a pretty high risk of another Zig or Taillow. Doing 2000 encounters in Hoenn is faster than like 200 eggs in Unova, so I'm going to push my luck (I've already had 3 times as many shinies this month as I had all last year and the first 11 months of this year put together, so even if I don't get another shiny for years, I really can't complain, haha!) and see if I can get another shiny out of Route 116 before my game turns off.

I had a ton of Premier Balls, so I caught it in a Premier Ball. I always wanted to catch a shiny in one, since it almost seems like they were made for shinies, being "A rare BALL made in commemoration of some event."

Just got a shiny skiddo off pokeradar.

Congrats on the Skiddo! And it was on a chain of 2? That's pretty rare, and it's awesome that you were able to avenge your lost shiny patch!

After only 94 encounters, a shiny Nuzleaf appeared.

Congrats! You deserved a quick hunt after that last one! :)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    I got blessed again. Shiny lampent last night on friend safari and just as I was reading the recent posts on the thread... shiny seviper. I was hunting for phantump and venomoth respectively when I found these two, but you can't have everything you want right?

Shiny Taillow!! Congrats on the Skiddo!
    Lol thanks, after that last chain I was about to go cry in a corner. Congrats on the Taillow and good luck on meeting that Nincada. May the (broken) RNG be with you.

Grats on your shiny too Kotomine. I don't count my encounters but such a low number is indeed very nice after a long hunt.

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
  • Congrats on the new shinies. Interesting tactic leaving Ruby running, I might just have to try that with my Sapphire.

My Friend safari luck dried up, and I was sick of seeing the Daycare man, so I decided to chain fish. After about 20 minutes I hooked a Shiny Clauncher, not really that big of a deal seeing how he's chain fished but I just love it's shiny form.

Good luck everyone.

Back