• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should certain Pokémon evolutions only be exclusive for regional variants?

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    Notice what Pokémon such as Linoone, Meowth, Basculin, Qwilfish, and so on have in common? They all gained a new evolution in a new game, but only for their regional variants. Do you think that these new evolutions should only be restricted to these regional variants? Should we be able to see normal variants of Obstagoon, Overqwil, Basculegion, and Perrserker in future games? Personally, I don't think these evolutions should be restricted only to regional variants. I believe we should at least get these evolutions with the listed Pokémon's normal forms as well, meaning we should have access to a normal non-Galar Obstagoon, Basculegion of any stripe, non-Hisuian Overqwil, and non-Galar Perrserker. What do you think and why? Personally, I never a fan of regional variants in the slightest. In my opinion, I think it's the worst gimmick Game Freak has ever done, but I do like those regional variant exclusive evolutions.

Years
    Id imagine at some point they will make specific requirements to get the regional varients. Example for meowth which can normally evolve to persian but will probably have an way to make it evolve into alolan persian and a way to evolve it into perrserker. So long as they dont make the requirements stupid im down for it

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    Oh, no, I don't want that. Hisui didn't do that with Stantler, and I'd like to see more evolutions for old Pokemon that aren't restricted to a regional variant. That'd just be lame, if you ask me.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Would be okay with non-regional forms Obstagoons and the like. Generally expects regional variants to be locked behind lategame events, postgame, or DLC. Gives these Pokemon a shot of appearing as a usable Pokemon in new regions. Accepts entirely new evolutions for the normal forms too.

Wishes to avoid the Mawile problem, at any rate. Tied its fortunes to its Mega Stone.

Years
    • Seen today
    I'm fine with regional evolutions as long as they still make them available from time to time in later gens.

The fact that we have these kind of evolutions should guarantee that the existing regional variants won't disappear. I thought that could happen when playing the Alola games. But now, removing regional variants would mean that several Pokémon will never return.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    I wouldn't say that removing regional variants is a thing that can't happen because of new Pokémon since Nintendo has more or less already softbanned like two families (Glameow and Skiddo), maybe more, but it does make things a bit more more unlikely.

I'm generally indifferent although I do think that a mix of "just a plain evolution and not a regional evolution" and regional evolutions is a good thing.

I think the main reason evolutions from another generation went out of vogue was because Game Freak was concerned with explaining why these evolutions didn't happen elsewhere (they always introduced a new mechanic when doing this, like friendship or affection or location or move or whatever) and that can get clutter-y quickly but since we're living in a Post-Dexit world, consistency is already not a thing anymore so might as well go for broke.

Years
    Imo, if they do anything at all, they should give the originals a different evolution than the regional one, rather than just a reskin of the regional evo.

I'm perfectly fine with regional evolutions. I like the idea of certain Pokemon being able to evolve differently based on what region they live in.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    I wouldn't say that removing regional variants is a thing that can't happen because of new Pokémon since Nintendo has more or less already softbanned like two families (Glameow and Skiddo), maybe more, but it does make things a bit more more unlikely.

I'm generally indifferent although I do think that a mix of "just a plain evolution and not a regional evolution" and regional evolutions is a good thing.

I think the main reason evolutions from another generation went out of vogue was because Game Freak was concerned with explaining why these evolutions didn't happen elsewhere (they always introduced a new mechanic when doing this, like friendship or affection or location or move or whatever) and that can get clutter-y quickly but since we're living in a Post-Dexit world, consistency is already not a thing anymore so might as well go for broke.

I think a good way to explain new evolutions for previous Pokémon could be to state that no one, not even the smartest professors or best Pokémon trainers, knew that the Pokémon could evolve (further), but after either doing countless hours of research or training their Pokémon beyond the conventional way, they made some groundbreaking discoveries. This would be a lot similar to how biologists in real life discover new species. Then, after making the discovery and having the professor either publish his or her work or the trainer reporting it in his or her PokéDex, it would become common knowledge among other trainers and thus the new evolutions would become more common in that region.

Back