• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Should I buy the game again?

Maple Leaf

dazed and abused
Years
  • I lost my copy of Pokemon Red ages ago, and I was wondering about buying another copy, for the joy of going through the first generation again.

Members of PokéCommunity, I ask you this: Would you re-purchase the game, nostalgically speaking? Is it worth re-purchasing for the memories, in your opinion?

Last edited:

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Well, Game Boys are pretty much obsolete these days, so I would say no... unless you're lucky enough to find one on ebay, or at the flea market, then I'd say go for it. I still have my copy of Pokemon Silver, and I recently tested it a few days ago on a Game Boy Advance SP. It's still in great condition, and I do plan to keep it for years to come.

Nostalgically speaking, I'd repurchase Red/Blue/Yellow again, just so I can relive those memories I had when I was 8 or 9. But nowadays, the Emulator is another way of playing those games.

Garrabutártulo

A wild Garrabutártulo appears!
    Years
  • I still have my crystal version, and a red version a friend lend to me (and I think I'm keeping it forever). There's a shop here called "cash converters" where people sell things and you can buy them again at little cost. There are always some pokémon games for less than 5€.

Oharo

̣
    Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2011
    Yep. I bought my Yellow at Cash Converters too. It costed about a dollar and a half. I think if you're willing to invest some time in it, you should go for it. I'm having fun with my Yellow version now. I'm actually already planning to buy a DS to continue my lost childhood.

Yes. It is worth purchasing. It's pretty cheap too.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    If you feel nostalgial, go ahead to buy it. But if you feel the that the urge will stop soon, just go and download a rom.

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2021
    Put it this way: I lost mine ages ago and bought a new copy last month. I'm now having a great time playing with missingno XD. BUY IT!

Zinock

♚Where Legends Are Born♚
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jul 27, 2014
    Well you could always use and emultator..
    I dont know if you could buy one now :P

PKMN Trainer Nick

PKMN Trainer
    Years
  • I just bought a gameboy advance sp and a link cable today on ebay. i lost my purple gameboy color a few years ago and the only cartridges I have left are pokemon red,blue, and yellow. when my package arrives, I'll play those games again on the bus and train going to school and coming back home. LOL!

jespoke

Still do monotype challenges once in a blue moon
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2020
    Make sure you know of a shop that will do battery replacements in the games for cheap if you don't wanna figure out how to do one yourself, in the event the internal battery dies, otherwise you won't be able to save your games.

Thats the big problem: Those batteries are not cheap. I've replaced the battery in my silver myself, and i tell ya: Without a soldering iron and Tin, you're not gotta succeed.

Years
  • Absolutely go for it!! :) My Yellow to this day gets loads of use from me :) It's definitely worth it, let me tell you it'll put a huge smile on your face :)

I've actually been thinking of doing the same thing, but with Silver :)

PKMN Trainer Nick

PKMN Trainer
    Years
  • Absolutely go for it!! :) My Yellow to this day gets loads of use from me :) It's definitely worth it, let me tell you it'll put a huge smile on your face :)

I've actually been thinking of doing the same thing, but with Silver :)
    haha. same here. just got my gameboy today and I'm playing my blue version right now.

XDragonRiderX

Time flies.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2021
    Thats the big problem: Those batteries are not cheap. I've replaced the battery in my silver myself, and i tell ya: Without a soldering iron and Tin, you're not gotta succeed.
    (Opens My Blue w/ dead save battery)
    You were saying? It's just the the screw on the back. Use pliers. Then you need a chisel head screwdriver to remove the battery. Then to put the new battery in place, electric tape. :) U MAD??

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2021
    Ok...I'm up to Pokemon Mansion and I'm getting mad. So much for nostalgia =\

Still buy it though ^^

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I personally wouldn't... the games were really glitchy, you don't know how long the battery will last or if it's been replaced properly, and back then you *had* to play as a guy.

But if you're willing to take the risk of having to deal with a dead battery, then go for it.

PickupTeam

Free Item Abuser
    Years
  • Yes, you should buy the game if you haven't already. Just for the Missingno glitch.

I personally would not buy it, to spare my significant other the horror at finding a third handheld gaming system bought specifically to play Pokemon. Plus I wouldn't be able to transfer those pokemon up the generations without then buying 2 more games and a fourth handheld system.

No matter how morbidly curious I am to transfer a Missingno up to Black and see what happens. You probably can't do it.

Last edited:
    Back