• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Should N be rematchable?

PL50

I hate legendaries
    Years
    I loved his theme, the final battle with him in his castle (along with ghestis and his hacked hydregion) was a bit difficult for me... shouldn't he be rematchable like bianca and cheren? WILL he be rematchable if they make pokemon grey? (or whatever name they'll slap on it)

blue

gucci
    Years
    I think it would make it less unique if he became rematchable, it's best to keep the E4'S & Rivals as rematches but they may add it in 3rd game.

Years
    The members of villainous teams who were given names in games past, such as the admins, were never given opportunities for rematches. I don't see why N should be any different.

Also, it's in his nature to not battle. He's only battled to test the resolve of the protagonist and to push his ideals of a world where Pokemon are free from trainers. A rematch would just be silly. Plus, he's who knows where, riding his dragon, being tailed by the cops, so how would it work anyway?

Roughneck Tom

The dawn of a new champion....
    Years
    You battle N several times in the game . So be satisfied with that only . However , you cannot have a rematch with N . He vanishes after you end his dream

Maple Leaf

dazed and abused
    Years
    Yeah, it just wouldn't be fair. You can't rematch villains in past games!

Plus anyway, as stated by Roughneck Tom, he vanishes.

smurf

Veteran Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2015
    i think they should be i would love to be able to face them both N and ghestis it would be a good chance to strenghthen urself and other pokemon your raising

Years
    I have mixed opinions on this subject... he gets battled at several points in the game, so you've had plenty of chances to battle him.. lol

I do think it would also be neat to battle him again.. he could help be a training booster for Pokémon and the factor his Pokémon could vary anytime.. that was an interesting characteristic that I thought was neat about him..

M4

Freedom of teh speech!!!!!!!!!
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2013
    Only rematchable villain is Giovanni, if you count that as a rematch. Plus it's a event.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    I feel indifferent about this. The idea of having a rematch with N is a good one. I wouldn't mind rematching him again given he was a good rival for the plot. At the same time, because of what he stood for and the ideals he portrayed throughout the game, battling him after the whole Elite fiasco would go against all of that. He's more of the type who would rather befriend Pokémon than use them to battle others, and I don't think it'd be consistent if he chose to battle you once more.

So, I guess really I'm not so indifferent on the idea. I just think it's a good idea, but wouldn't make sense for his character.

Shelmet

Spiraling Disastertastrophe
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2012
    After actually thinking about this, I think it would have been nice to be able to battle him again. Seeing as he became the main character's friend (of sorts) at the end of the game, and it was revealed his father was only using him, I wouldn't really classify him as one of the "villains" or one of the other team bosses. It's a shame that he vanishes at the end of the game, though - it would have been a really good idea otherwise.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen May 25, 2024
    After actually thinking about this, I think it would have been nice to be able to battle him again. Seeing as he became the main character's friend (of sorts) at the end of the game,

Even so, it would still conflict with his views about pokémon not being tools.

Logan_AT

Often Lost in Thought
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2014
    Nah, considering his ethics regarding Pokemon I think one battle is enough to make his point to the player. More than that and it would break character--he never was very much into Pokemon battling for the sake of battling or becoming the best, but because he had a goal and was testing you along the way.

I like to think he's lurking in the shadows, stalking your character through Unova--kind of like how Mewtwo was said to roam by night at the end of his second movie.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    No no no no. The plot doesn't support this working in any way, other than "I want to have more daily trainers to level up faster". Other than his Klink staying with him for two different battles, he never kept the same Pokemon because he didn't want to hurt them more than necessary. He wouldn't be the kind of person to keep one team and train them up, which is why you can rebattle most trainers. Cheren is training, so you can battle him with his team, as well as pretty much everyone else you battle. N has no reason to train, he doesn't even want to keep his Pokemon.

Besides it not matching with his personality and goals, the plot itself would have to be changed to accommodate this, considering he leaves at the end of the game. I personally loved that, the idea that N was so remorseful and thoughtful about his actions that he needed to leave the source and think about it from farther away. Without that, he become routine -- fight the people in the stadium, fight Cheren, fight N, ho hum. Does anyone think of the other daily trainers in as special a way as N? You have access to them whenever you want, while N remains mysterious.

tl;dr: no.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    N only battles you in order to test your strength as a trainer, not for professional reasons. Also, he leaves at the end of the main storyline, to parts unknown. If he was to be rematchable, however, he'd have his Castle team, minus the legendary dragon. I don't know what will be a good candidate for the empty spot.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    As much as I'd like to re-battle the "antagonists" (can't really call N a villain because of how he turns out in the end) in the games, it wouldn't make sense in N's case because of his views and ideals regarding Pokemon. Plus, he took off for places unknown on whatever legendary he has in your particular game, and I wouldn't think of a reason he'd return.

And you can rematch both Greevil and Evice in XD and Colosseum, respectively.

kuzronk

Banned
    Years
    N & Everybody Else Should Have Rematches even if you win

and you could VS N in the place he goes in the 3rd version

dreyko

Isolated System.
    Years
    as much as i would like to rebattle N, i feel it would change the story line of the game too much because there would have to be a reason for him to come back and be rematch able.

Back