• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should Smoking be banned?(Only if your country has smokers)

Years
    Mostly Democratic countries have smokers, our president smokes cigarette too. But he had proclaimed he will never smoke again.
    Our president told our Metropolitan Authority to ban the selling and using smoke. I always smell smoke, i try to block my nose but i couldn't breathe.

(A bit off topic but...)
    Spoiler:

Well, tell me if smoking must be banned.
    As of 2010, 68% of people all over the world have stopped smoking, 2011--increased in 34%.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    From Australia here and I say yes. Smoking should be banned. :P It will be hard to get support for it though. I admire the Philippines for getting that done.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    I'm of two minds about this:

Of course, the correct answer is no. Smoking should not be banned. That would infringe on the basic rights of everybody and would be the government meddling where it does not belong. Also it would create a black market which is just ridiculous for something that has been legal for so long.

However, in Australia they're already meddling. They've made it so that cigarettes are not allowed to be displayed in stores, they've made it so that cigarettes may only be sold from one register per store, they've SEVERELY jacked up the prices of smoking and they're going to introduce plain packaging so that all cigarette packets are in the same colour with the same font etc to try to discourage people. As much as I'm against it, I often find myself thinking "it'd be so much easier if they just banned them."

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    As much as I wish I could say yes, because it's the stupidest/most annoying thing ever, people do have the right to do what they want to their bodies, so long as it doesn't put others in immediate danger. (Then again, second hand smoke is pretty dangerous, is it not?)

Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2020
    Marijuana is banned, and it's just sold and used in secret...

but so many people do it anyway. Banning cigarettes wouldn't really do much good. I hate cigarettes. They took my grandfather before I ever met him and my close friends father. It almost should be banned. Its not like there is a constitutional right to use whatever product you want, and it slowly kills you and effects those around you. It's already pretty much banned in public places in America though, and you can't enforce it in the home.

So ya I think it should be band in a Utopia, but things should be the way they are because change wouldn't do any good.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I would very much so like to have smoking banned. Smoking has nothing but harmful effects on anything and anyone who interacts with it; directly or indirectly. There really aren't any pros to smoking other than relieving a tension that caused you to light the cigarette in the first place - in which case there are other, more productive ways of dealing with stress. That's the reason I get from a lot of people I know who smoke when I ask them why. To relieve stress. I don't like being around smoke. I can't think of a single person who does. Not only does it harm my body - and especially so seeing as how I have asthma as it is - by being around your sudden inspiration to light a cigarette around me, but it holds so many outcomes like me smelling like smoke and others not wanting to be around me because they can't take the smell (which I can't blame them; the smell of cigarettes and ashes left behind from them make me sick).

I'd even go as far to say that it should be banned regardless, seeing as how you don't have to be around someone smoking to pick up secondhand smoke. It latches on to furniture, the carpet, walls, and people. It's an absolutely vile thing, and the tabacco industry is full of vile people, feeding off and exploiting the addictions of others caused by their own products.

Years
    Ban it.

Smoking isn't a right. It's just a freedom, and plenty of things that people could do they are forbidden from doing for good reasons. People aren't free to dump their trash in the street so I don't see why anyone should be free to spew pollution into the air. It's harmful to the smoker and to the people around them and the environment in general.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Well, I'm from the Philippines, so I say that smoking should be banned because of the health risks involved.

Years
    Health Risks, i watched the TV once, a man had a hole on his neck and talks like a robot by the cause of smoking. Everyone who said no loves to smoke. In the news, we once had a poll is smoking should be perma-banned. 87% Said Yes to ban it, and 13% said No.

I know that smoking ban is a long progress to do but...
    officials must go to every town by helping and banning it. All drug dealers must be located and be arrested or just take an offensive action and blah blah BLARGH.

blue

gucci
    Years
    It's the smokers responsibility on how many they smoke a day, I don't think it should be banned, but i think there should be a limit or something.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    I think that getting smoking banned indoors in public places was the only thing we're gonna get for smoking.

If a smoker wants to smoke then let them. It's their health, smoking would never get banned because a load of people smoke. Maybe even more than the people who don't. I personally don't think that it needs banning.

Xyrin

WOW REMEMBER THIS??
    Years
    Okay. Let me just say a few things before we get onto the topic.

Everyone who said no loves to smoke.

What? People have their own reasons. They could believe it's a violation of freedoms. You're assuming that everyone who doesn't believe the way you do has only one reason for it. For example if somebody believes that's it's okay to be overweight and you disagree with it would you say "Everyone who said it's okay is fat"? Would you?

I wish there wasn't law, it corrupts the world.
    But no bad things done.

You're making no sense. Without laws it would be okay for me to kill you and I would not be punished. Rape would be okay along with other things. I don't even see how it makes sense in the argument...

I would love to see it banned here in the US. I have asthma and when I go somewhere where somebody is smoking I hate it. I'd love for it to be outlawed so less people would start getting addicted and the large companies would fall. Their tactics are horrible and take advantage of people. All it does is hurt you.

Eucliffe

☆ E N T E R T A I N E R
    Years
    Though I hate smoking, I think it should still be allowed. I mean, if people want to kill themselves faster, why shouldn't they? :D It would also rid the world of some idiots, too!

If anything, I think there should be a law on smoking in closed areas with other people, especially in cars with your family, and especially if one of said family members is a baby. Some people are stupid enough to smoke with a baby in the car, and who knows how many babies have died from secondhand smoke :(

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    If people are objecting on 'freedom' grounds, wouldn't they also be objecting to recreational heroin and meth use being illegal?

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
    People should be able to be idiots and do whatever they want with their bodies. :/

If people are objecting on 'freedom' grounds, wouldn't they also be objecting to recreational heroin and meth use being illegal?

Yep - hence the hypocrisy. :D

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
    I think smoking should be banned, not only because it's harmful to smoker's body, but it's also harmful to those around them or any smoking environment, because those around them can contact secondhand smoking, which can be contacted easily. Smokers are basically slowly killing those around them because of second-hand smoking, and more people have their health deteriorated from it than you'd imagine.

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
    Yeah, smoking should be banned. It shortens lifespans (or so I've heard in Health class). I mean, so what if it relaxes people temporarily; it's addicting and could kill you. D:

Although it's their choice that they want to die quicker.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    I think it should be banned because I (as well as other people) do not want to inhale something that can kill you; you want to die? then you smoke in your house; not outside where everyone can smell it.

:t354:TG

Back