• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should we change Christmas so it is no longer a Christian holiday?

Zet

Years
    I think people who get offended over these sorts of things should be taken out back like old yeller... Or at the very least learn to get over it.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Really, the holidays I celebrate and the way I celebrate them are based on how I was brought up. We celebrate Christmas a certain way, and I'm not gonna change it just because someone in our neighborhood might not like it. I mean, if you don't like the holiday, just ignore it and let the rest of us enjoy it the way we always have. I honestly don't see why some people get so worked up over this.

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
    It's silly grandstanding by a bunch of politicians and some people who like to get offended over nothing. I'm an atheist and I wish people Merry Christmas. It's not like it's a big deal.
    But... You can't do that!

You, an Atheist slimeball who hates Jesus, humanity, small children, Lunarian rabbits, the good name of Frank Sinatra, and Reimu's sexy armpits...

You're a horrible person. The next time you utter the words "Merry Christmas", I shall be there with a shotgun, a crucifix, and a flamethrower.

That, or I'll get over it.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    I think they should keep Christmas but change it so that it isn't Christian-related.

Captain Hobo.

Posting King
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2011
    No, I you can celebrate whatever you want the goverment can't controller it.

It like saying you can't celebrate Christmas because some people don't believe in God and Jesus.

It is just dumb. D:

KanadeTenshi

Banned
    Years
    Should we stop placing public displays of Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc. because they're nationalistic (Thanksgiving being a U.S. holiday) or religious in nature just because their are people who do not observe these holidays? I've seen teachers scold children for saying Merry Christmas to their friends in the past because a Muslim student was in the class, hence he'd be "excluded" from the Christmas spirit.

What are your opinions on this?
    Dumb teacher.
    Now let's place said muslim student in a holiday of his own religion. Wouldn't said children not be a part of his spirit?
    Not much of a difference tbh.
    I'm atheist and I do say whatever you say to people who celebrate a holiday. It's generally a part of being nice for me; So what if I don't participate in said celebration, responding like "I'm atheist so no christmas no nothing #$#$#" is better? Wish them a merry christmas and go on.

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
    Nationalistic holidays being "censored" is just stupid. As someone above pointed out, we're in America, so why should we bite our tongue for an American holiday? (And it is a very American holiday, where we gorge ourselves on food and football. How cultured!).

As for Christmas, it has gone so far beyond the religious meaning that I don't even consider it a religious holiday anymore. I think that there should be more equality among the others (especially in retail and whatnot), but I don't think you should not be allowed to say "Merry Christmas".

I'd say to these people who consider this kind of stuff actually offensive, I'd say: "Go watch Deep Throat, or Cannibal Holocaust, or even Pasolini's Salo, and then tell me what offends you."

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Nationalistic holidays being "censored" is just stupid. As someone above pointed out, we're in America, so why should we bite our tongue for an American holiday? (And it is a very American holiday, where we gorge ourselves on food and football. How cultured!).

As for Christmas, it has gone so far beyond the religious meaning that I don't even consider it a religious holiday anymore. I think that there should be more equality among the others (especially in retail and whatnot), but I don't think you should not be allowed to say "Merry Christmas".

I'd say to these people who consider this kind of stuff actually offensive, I'd say: "Go watch Deep Throat, or Cannibal Holocaust, or even Pasolini's Salo, and then tell me what offends you."

I've been hearing that we should avoid mentioning nationalistic holidays because it excludes immigrants from foreign nations.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I hardly pay heed to the Christian aspect of Christmas anyway. For me, it's all about turning in a healthy profit through gifts and decorating my house with an obnoxious number of flashing colored "chaser" lights that induce seizures xD.

I hope the issue isn't with the first six letters of "Christmas". Otherwise, everyone named "Christopher" or "Christine", as well as the city of Christiansburg, Virginia, could find themselves under fire from the political correctness police :/

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Yet another case of ethnic minority groups giving people a reason to form prejudice against them. I make a point of never giving up my own beliefs just because someone else disagrees with them, I encourage all others to do the same, regardless of what those beliefs might be. Unless of course those "beliefs" involve whining about other people and forcing them to adapt for an unreasonable purpose, so that they don't "offend" you.

Fee Nicks

TekMage
    Years
    • Seen May 12, 2011
    I just love how in almost all of the cases similar to this it's always a third party campaigning for these sorts of things, and never the people who are apparently being offended. Furthermore, I don't see how the 'immigrants being excluded' issue holds any weight; people come to the U.S. because of economic opportunities, not because of the holidays it celebrates.
    In any case, this is pretty much a non-issue; you can't honestly say that Christmas has retained its original religious routes when most large stores are still open.

Years
    It's silly grandstanding by a bunch of politicians and some people who like to get offended over nothing. I'm an atheist and I wish people Merry Christmas. It's not like it's a big deal.

This. ^

I really don't care, either way. On one hand, I could understand the feeling of alienation, but put your trivial religious differences aside for a change. But, on the other side, people need to learn to not get offended by meaningless things. And It's not like Christmas has much Christian left in it anyways, and all Thanksgiving is nowadays is to eat until you puke and watch the Detroit Lions suck.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I've been hearing that we should avoid mentioning nationalistic holidays because it excludes immigrants from foreign nations.
    No it doesn't. They would be living in the country now.

I'm Canadian and celebrate our Thanksgiving at a different time than the Americans. If I moved to America, I would be observing the American version (as well, as the Canadian one too).

Just about everyone in the country is an immigrant in some fashion. And Thanksgiving in particular, which involves colonies when you get to the root of things, would be a strange one not to celebrate because you're from somewhere else.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2024

No it doesn't. They would be living in the country now.

I'm Canadian and celebrate our Thanksgiving at a different than the Americans. If I moved to America, I would be observing the American version (as well, as the Canadian one too).

Just about everyone in the country is an immigrant in some fashion. And Thanksgiving in particular, which involves colonies when you get to the root of things, would be a strange one not to celebrate because you're from somewhere else.
    I completely agree with you, but some folk regard multiculturalism as more important as the host culture. Personally I feel multiculturalism is a load of crap, but because its supporters tend to downplay the significance and importance of the host culture, this leads to suggestions such as the above, so as to not offend anyone and further encourage multiculturalism.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    Merged your thread here with Jolene's original discussion, FreakyLocz. Both share a similar topic, with Christmas being the main focus of debate. Jolene's thread can also grow into discussion of other debatable holidays, but Christmas probably being the most discussion worthy. So, please, do continue.

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
    It's a Christian holiday, and I think it will always be one. The main point is the birth of Christ, hence the name Christmas. Plus other religions can have their own little holidays. I don't get the point in changing it. If other religions want to have presents for fun, I guess they can do that. But changing a religious holiday to a non-religious isn't right. D';

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
    Our western countries are becoming a lot more diverse in terms of religion and we should change our culture to accomodate that. Christmas is a huge part of our culture but many people of non-Christian faiths are excluded from it because they do not believe in Jesus. There are so many non-Christian people living here and they must feel really sad when it gets around to Christmas and they aren't allowed to join in the fun. I think that western countries should alter Christmas so that it is no longer a Christian-related holiday, and then everyone can celebrate it! We should call it International Presents Day or Winter Festival.

After all, I think that barely anyone really cares that Christmas celebrates the birth of Christ. All we care about is the presents and parties. That is the true spirit of Christmas and as long as that remains then Christmas will still be good. In fact, Christmas is not even a Christian holiday: it was originally a Pagan holiday called Yuletide but the Christians stole it!

Of course Christians can still have a day to celebrate the birth of Christ but it should be a lower-key event.

Since when are non-christians not allowed to "join the fun"? Seems to me a non-christian might deny to join the fun because of their religion. In fact, it seems to me that you might be implying that because some people's religions won't let them have fun, nobody else should have fun. It almost seems like you're trying to euphemise your argument to make it sound way better than it actually is.

And furthermore...

we should change our culture to accomodate that

I feel trolled. Seriously? You're not going to show our culture any respect there? None at all? It's just an obstacle? We should artificially change it to meet whatever need we feel is efficient? Should I be laughing right now? Somehow I'm only repulsed.

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
    My skin doesn't burn when an Atheist celebrates Christmas. Atheists really shouldn't lose sleep over the fact that Christians celebrate Christmas.

Let it be. Just don't try to stamp out my culture, and I won't have any problems.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    I'm going to say this: You can't take the 'Christ' out of Christmas.

Now with that being said, you don't have to be Christian to observe this holiday. The spirit of Christmas embodies more than just the Christian meaning. If you merely want to observe it because it's such a wonderful holiday, just do it. Only a fool would be offended and attempt to stop you.

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
    Christmas was never about Santa Claus, it was never about buying presents for other people, it is the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ, and there's no going around that, if Christmas was no longer about Christianity, it would be called Xmas, and Christians treat the word Xmas like it's one of the seven dirty words, and I have seen plenty of TV shows where people say "Christmas" while when the actual word is seen, it's shown as "Xmas", and Christian viewers complain about it through the whole half hour the show is on, even when the characters on the show write the word Xmas, yet say it as Christmas, mainly because they ran out of room in order to write something like "Enjoy the Columbus Merry Merry Christmas Parade" on a parade banner in size 9000 Times New Roman font in all caps, and they did not have enough room to write the word "Christmas" on it, so they wrote "Xmas" on it, and yet the Christian viewers call the TV company biggots, seriously, what is wrong with these people!?

People, stop complaining about the name of the holiday and just celebrate the holiday like a normal person would, get a grip people.....

Back