• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Shows/Movies that wouldn't be made today/wouldn't work in modern times

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    What are some tv shows or movies that you think would NOT work in today's climate?

I think stuff like The Breakfast Club definitely would not be made today, and would be considered controversial. A lot of movies from the late 70s/80s also.

I also think stuff like The facts of life is truly a product of its time that would not be the same if it were made in 2021.

There's also a lot of questionable game shows from back then that would definitely get a lot of negative reception if they aired today.

Years
    Interesting thread...

I think honestly you can probably blanket statement say about 90% of anything released before 90s is going to in one way or another have something which should not be aired today, tbh.

Years
    Some of the 90s nicktoons. Ren & Stimpy would never be presented as a kid show today. Even though it was censored/edited, and certain episodes were not aired, it's still hard to believe that it pushed the envelope as far as it did, and that any of it ever got by the censors. I always loved Ren & Stimpy, a lot of the jokes though went right over my head as kid, like this one when they sell rubber nipples to the horse. Sorry it's not a YouTube link, and the picture is cropped, but it's hard to find to the entire scene, usually only the last 30 seconds are shown, but all of it is insane, and deserves a view.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3jaoxe

I'm not sure if Aaahh!! Real Monsters would make it either, if so the Gromble would have I think been shown in a different way than he was.

Last edited:

pkmin3033

Basically everything made by Disney before around the turn of the millennium would qualify as this for some reason or another - portrayal of women (very common in early Renaissance films up until at least Pocahontas), propoganda, problematic lines (usually in song lyrics), racist stereotypes...yeah, Disney stuff really ages poorly the further back you go.

Also, a lot of Hanna-Barbera era Tom and Jerry cartoons would NEVER get shown now.

Also, given the general aversion to lasting physical damage on living beings that is now prevalent in cartoons, allow me to express my shock that Clone Wars exists and that they can get away with so much shit without slapping a higher age rating than PG on it..I mean, holy crap.

Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2022
    I feel like most of the 90's cartoons everyone in my generation loves were pretty generic. Some of them were amusing, but compared to the complexity of something with a plot and a clever sense of humor like some of today's current cartoons they're kind of lacking in some respects. Not that I spend a ton of time watching children's media.

Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2021
    The Adam West Batman series would not be made today, comic fans have become so self serious and for some asinine reason even the public looks down on the series now, people don't like good stupid fun.

While they are still made, it is interesting how un-ironic and un-thoughtful sitcoms are mainly aimed at Children now (think Nick programming) when that stuff use to be mainstream TV. Speaking of old mainstream TV, there were a lot of latenight talk shows that would invite cranks to have a platform on TV for an hour including cult leaders and Neo-Nazis, that would not happen today lol.

Years
    Ren & Stimpy
    That show was disgusting and I'm glad it's no longer airing. I hated it so much.

Years
    I'm honestly surprised how Regular Show ever passed as a "kids show". There's absolutely no way it would be a kids show today. It seems like it's more suited for Adult Swim. There are so many innuendos that fly over kids' heads (there are so many complications of adult jokes from Regular Show on youtube), and I know some of the first season episodes had to get edited. One example I'm thinking of is when Mordecai says "You pissed me off" which had to get changed to "You ticked me off". I don't know how they ever got away with airing some of those things on Cartoon Network.

Back