• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Silly challenges

Sorvete

Novice
Years
  • So you got bored of your favorite game's gameplay, but you still wanna play it regardless. Did you ever come up with arbitrary challenges, such as "beat the game with only 1 point of health" or whatever, just to try to make it a bit more interesting?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    I did a challenge in Romance of the Three Kingdoms X to build the strongest army, but not allowed to occupy more than one city. So when I need to go to another city to upgrade my army, I have to disband my kingdom and turn into rogue army, seize the city I need to upgrade my army, build the city to unlock the technology needed to upgrade my army, then disband and move to another city again. It was fun, I end up with very powerful army that know many different weapons, deleting any enemy trying to seize my end destination city.

Years
  • I'm currently doing a solo challenge in Dragon Quest IX where the aim is essentially to 100% the game with only one character, rather than a full party of four. I beat the game years ago, but I've still got a long way to go to get 100%!

Also I recently wanted to replay Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga and since it doesn't have its own hard mode, I thought it might be interesting to try and beat the game with only the starting equipment. Not sure how difficult that'll be, but I'm definitely planning on trying it sometime!

Cid

Years
  • I've only done it with Ruby, and it was a Nuzlocke. Comber the Breloom, Stiles the Mightyena, Lucas the Camerupt, Xander the Wailord, Helios the Solrock, and Bruce the Crobat were my first and currently only Nuzlocke hall of famers, and I have fond memories of our journey. My starter, TJ the Grovyle, died to a trainer's Gyarados north of Dewford. I still remember that day.

I miss that game. Sometimes I wish I didn't lose it. 😢

Sorvete

Novice
    Years
  • I've only done it with Ruby, and it was a Nuzlocke. Comber the Breloom, Stiles the Mightyena, Lucas the Camerupt, Xander the Wailord, Helios the Solrock, and Bruce the Crobat were my first and currently only Nuzlocke hall of famers, and I have fond memories of our journey. My starter, TJ the Grovyle, died to a trainer's Gyarados north of Dewford. I still remember that day.

I miss that game. Sometimes I wish I didn't lose it. 😢

Oh damn, losing a nuzlocke sucks. :( I've never actually finished one before because of bad luck

Cid

Years
  • Oh damn, losing a nuzlocke sucks. :( I've never actually finished one before because of bad luck

Yeah :(

Do try to finish one if you can find the time to! And document your journey if you can. You really grow to love your party because you don't want them to succumb to the permadeath mechanic. You can feel them struggling when someone important dies, too. And when you beat the game it's the greatest feeling.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Not the most wild, but a fun challenge I did in Skyrim was the no weapon challenge, inspired by that (at the time) viral Robbaz video where he punched everything and everyone with his bare hands.

I modeled my character after Tifa Lockhart and it was just really cool and felt powerful to be able to kill things with just your hands :p

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • well i modded the pokemon challenges section on pc for a good chunk of my tenure on staff here, if that tells you anything. lol i often keep second copies of pokemon games just for the purpose of using them for challenges. with other series though, not so much into challenges. pokemon just offers a lot of variables and different ways to play and i mean. i just love the series and doing challenges increases the already high replay value for me. other games don't really like...idk. they don't have as much opportunity for challenge tbh? and i'm not good at them enough to do them, like lvl 1 kingdom hearts runs or three heart zelda runs. i just can't do those. i like challenges where it's not so much my skill, but my strategies. i'm not good enough at action games to do challenges w them.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Armorless Monster Hunter. o/

Also trying to kick a high rank Rathian to death lmao.

User Anon 1848

Might try a new game + playthrough of Switcher 3 on Death March with Geralt in a towel using nothing but fists and occasionally spells when I absolutely have to.

Back