• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
    No, burn only lowers Attack. Unless you have Guts, which cancels out the effect of a burn, I think. Possibly the same for Quick Feet.

_Diego//

Caminaré entre las piedras
    Years
    Special Wall Question. Currently I've been noticing my team lacks a Special Wall (Or does it?), and I come here to see if anyone can help me with that. My team is

Gallade
    Salamence
    Starmie
    Infernape
    Tyranitar
    Electivire

Is that team ok? What pokemon should I switch for a Special wall, or can any of these act as one?

Ársa

k.
    Years
    No thanks, he should stick to supporting. Double Status is his thing, don't try to make him what he isn't. He cannot hit back on many things that he should be walling. Stick with Bliss or Snorlax etc.

~T_S

Special Wall Question. Currently I've been noticing my team lacks a Special Wall (Or does it?), and I come here to see if anyone can help me with that. My team is

Gallade
    Salamence
    Starmie
    Infernape
    Tyranitar
    Electivire

Is that team ok? What pokemon should I switch for a Special wall, or can any of these act as one?

I would first like to know, where is your Physical Wall... @_@

Gallade = Supporter
    Salamence = Special Attacker
    Infernape = Mixed Attacker
    Electivire = Physical Attacker
    Blissey = Special Wall
    Skarmory = Physical Wall

Run that, off the top of my head, but I left the main ones you had there. It looks to me like that is an in-game team. If so, just ignore what I said, you don't need walls for in-game. Skarm and Bliss are the two most common walls in the metagame, so you should use them... ;)

~T_S

Last edited:

_Diego//

Caminaré entre las piedras
    Years
    Yeah, well, I'm training in game, but I want to get to metagame anytime soon:) Hm.. I've raised a Blissey before, but I didn't like the idea of it not having Seismic Toss on it >.> I feel like I'm also eing exposed to some types if I remove Tyranitar and Starmie, apart from Starmie being my Rapid Spinner.
    Could I maybe train something like a Bronzong with both strong Defenses and Special Defenses and replace my Gallade with it?

Lady Nicole

hello o.o
    Years
    Yeah, well, I'm training in game, but I want to get to metagame anytime soon:) Hm.. I've raised a Blissey before, but I didn't like the idea of it not having Seismic Toss on it >.> I feel like I'm also eing exposed to some types if I remove Tyranitar and Starmie, apart from Starmie being my Rapid Spinner.
    Could I maybe train something like a Bronzong with both strong Defenses and Special Defenses and replace my Gallade with it?

Eh, you don't want two of your walls steel type... unless you want your team to be raped by Magnezone. But you do need a rapid spinner. So I suggest you replace that Gallade with one of those. Rapid spinners could be: Starmie, Forretress, Donphan, Claydol, Tentacruel, Cloyster, Hitmontop, Armaldo (yeah, some of those aren't really recommended). For your team, I'd recommend Donphan, Tentacruel or Starmie, all of which can be really awesome. I'd have Donphan if I were you... to help wall with Skarmory in this overly-physical metagame.

Hey, don't worry too much about the Blissey. You can just give it Ice Beam... although that isn't really as useful as Seismic Toss in many situations; however, you could make it a Calm Mind Bliss if you want to. I have a Calm Mind Bliss and honestly, out of all four of my Blissey it's my favourite one.
    Moveset can be:

Blissey @Leftovers
    150 HP / 252 Def / 108 SpAtk
    Bold nature
    Ability: Serene Grace (but there's no harm in having Natural Cure)
    -Ice Beam
    -Thunderbolt/Flamethrower
    -Calm Mind
    -Softboiled

Then again, whatever floats your boat =P

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
    Hmmm. Lady, that is half true.

First, Ice Beam is very much useful on Bliss, despite it's power, since it's a surefire way to deal with dragons what WILL wipe you out. Specifically Garchomp.

Second, no harm in Natural Cure? That's the superior ability. Serence Grace should be an afterthought. And without Aromathereapy? Nonono. Blissey is not an attacker, so it shouldn't be forced to be one, especially when it's supposed to be the sp.wall. With Natural Cure, it no longer fears Toxic, or Burn. Especially Toxic.

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
    Hmmm. Lady, that is half true.

First, Ice Beam is very much useful on Bliss, despite it's power, since it's a surefire way to deal with dragons what WILL wipe you out. Specifically Garchomp.

Second, no harm in Natural Cure? That's the superior ability. Serence Grace should be an afterthought. And without Aromathereapy? Nonono. Blissey is not an attacker, so it shouldn't be forced to be one, especially when it's supposed to be the sp.wall. With Natural Cure, it no longer fears Toxic, or Burn. Especially Toxic.

That said, I run my CMBliss like this, the very one that beat ABYAY, I understand:

Blissey @Leftovers
    6 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpAtk
    Bold nature
    Ability: Serene Grace (freezehax REALLY helps in some situations)
    - Calm Mind
    - Ice Beam
    - Aromatherapy
    - Softboiled

Stick a PP Max on aromatherapy, and you're set. You may shout at me for the EVs, but over 600 HP is enough, I feel. Extra attack power helps it out. Plus, with the Sp. Def boosts from CM, it can shrug off special hits lie it would if it had max HP. And by freezehax helps out, I mean that if it's Blissey on Blissey, you freeze the other Blissey, CM up until it thaws, then watch it's feeble attempts to Softboiled it's HP back. If you don't freeze it again, it'll probably run out of PP. That happened once. With Aroma, it can stay Toxiced for many turns at a time and not be too worried. Take it from me: if you're opponent lets you get 3 - 6 CMs under your belt, and your opponent's special wall is out of the way, it also makes an effective late-game sweeper that takes special hits as if they were specs of dust, and I believe it can survive a Mixape Close Combat. Correct me if I'm wrong.

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
    That said, I run my CMBliss like this, the very one that beat ABYAY, I understand:

Blissey @Leftovers
    6 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpAtk
    Bold nature
    Ability: Serene Grace (freezehax REALLY helps in some situations)
    - Calm Mind
    - Ice Beam
    - Aromatherapy
    - Softboiled

Stick a PP Max on aromatherapy, and you're set. You may shout at me for the EVs, but over 600 HP is enough, I feel. Extra attack power helps it out. Plus, with the Sp. Def boosts from CM, it can shrug off special hits lie it would if it had max HP. And by freezehax helps out, I mean that if it's Blissey on Blissey, you freeze the other Blissey, CM up until it thaws, then watch it's feeble attempts to Softboiled it's HP back. If you don't freeze it again, it'll probably run out of PP. That happened once. With Aroma, it can stay Toxiced for many turns at a time and not be too worried. Take it from me: if you're opponent lets you get 3 - 6 CMs under your belt, and your opponent's special wall is out of the way, it also makes an effective late-game sweeper that takes special hits as if they were specs of dust, and I believe it can survive a Mixape Close Combat. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Problem is, with Ice Beam as the sole attacking move, it isn't very versatile. At all. And no self respecting player (No offence to ABAY) would allow you to get that many CMs. Plus, Gya just loves to set up with that set, since you're only using Ice Beam. Plus, it's all to easy to geet hurt physically, which is why I never cared for Calm Mind on Blissey. I mean, the SP.DEF boost is near useless, since they will use physical. Of course, it's for the SP.ATK boost.

As said, no one will use Special moves unless they haven't a choice. Since she can already take those hits anyway, they will use physical almost always. Using Aromatherapy only for yourself isn't as good as self healing, and only using Aromatherapy for the team. And there will very rarely be Bliss on Bliss combat.

Most importany, relying complety on 20% luck isn't a good means to support a strategy. Especially when you only have one move.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    CM Blissey with Aromatherapy is a joke in all honesty.

All this set is really doing is asking Calm Mind Suicune to come in and CM up with you, then roar you away and then you're screwed.

BTW I honestly think Ice Beam is pretty much not needed this generation. Special Dragons will just switch out and even if they don't you'll beat them one on one easily. Physical Dragons will just destroy Blissey anyways, so yeah. McGar is pretty much obsolete so that use is no longer valid as well.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2024
    CM Blissey with Aromatherapy is a joke in all honesty.

All this set is really doing is asking Calm Mind Suicune to come in and CM up with you, then roar you away and then you're screwed.

BTW I honestly think Ice Beam is pretty much not needed this generation. Special Dragons will just switch out and even if they don't you'll beat them one on one easily. Physical Dragons will just destroy Blissey anyways, so yeah. McGar is pretty much obsolete so that use is no longer valid as well.

Yes it is, very much needed. or Garchomp and slamence goes "LOL Set Up fodder", You can actually near on OHKO Garchomp believe it or not, it puts it within Life Orb recoil of being killed, mence is wasted aswell, whilst Garchomp will fail to OHKO Bliss without swords dance, salamence cant even ohko after a dd, it takes 2 to ohko bliss.. Rhyperior, Hippowdon, Gliscor, Donphan all get wasted by it. Just running s-toss is very foolish, you NEED an attack move to go alongside it.

Best set is for that specific Blissey is : - Aromatherapy/Ice Beam/Seismic Toss/Softboiled.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    Hippo can Slack Off Ice Beam with no problems and Rhyperior takes almost nothing and OHKOs Blissey.

Blissey has no business with Garchomp, especially with Yache Berry and will pretty much kill you. Garchomp can laways come in on soemthing not Blissey and set up then...then what use will Ice Beam have?

I honestly don't see a good use for Ice Beam besides DeeDeeMence and Gliscor. Sure it can hit dragons switching in, but most dragons have better things to set up on and don't really care if Blissey has Ice Beam...in the sense that they will just not bother with it if it does.

That mighty seem good enough, but when Garchomp is setting up on your Bronzong it won't even matter.

Meh, this is one of those things where I can see your point, I just disagree with it hehe. Honestly I don't think hitting stuff that will switch in really warrants a moveslot.

And again if Garchomp has Yache berry or Ice Beam misses because of Sand Veil you're really screwed because then it can OHKO your darling Blissey and sweep sweep sweep.

Honestly Bliss has better things to be doing like Toxic or Thunder Wave. Toxic will also shut down anything that relies on set-up turns switching in and will CRUSH bulky grounds while you can stall them out with repeated softboiled and switching.

Cloud_85

Templar Patriarch
    Years
    Well I'm not sure about What item would be better for Gengar: I can't use Focus Sash nor Life orb, Cause my Team have Storm on it.... And I can't use either Choice specs, cause his move set is with Hypnosys. Ideas Anyone?

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    Wide lense is good for gengar. It brings hypnosis and focus blast's Accuracy up to 77%, which is pretty close to 4 hits out of 5. It just makes him more reliable, cuz he's quite a fragile poke who can't afford to miss too often

Cloud_85

Templar Patriarch
    Years
    Wide lense is good for gengar. It brings hypnosis and focus blast's Accuracy up to 77%, which is pretty close to 4 hits out of 5. It just makes him more reliable, cuz he's quite a fragile poke who can't afford to miss too often
    It's a good posibility... I also was thinking on Put it Choice Specs and quit Hypnosis, Casu I have to Abrozong with Hypnosys...

Panicz

reniarT gninnigeB
    Years
    Quick question:

At what point does a Defensive stat break even with the HP stat? I'm trying to figure out what would be more ideal for putting remaining EVs into to achieve the maximum survivability potential.

Basically, I've invested a satisfying amount of EVs into Speed and into an Attack Stat for one of my Pokemon, and I've got some remaining EVs I'd like to use on that Pokemon to increase his survivability. I'm not necessarily asking the question JUST for this case, just the general knowledge of what amount breaks even between to two survivability factors.

Big words and some math might be involved... if an answer to this hasn't already surfaced somewhere.

Thanks.

Angelic Diablo

Scyther >> You
    Years
    In all cases (except possibly Blissey) HP is always wanted for maximum durability....

But any sweeper wanting to increase there chance at surviving potentially OHKO moves should have HP EVs invested

Le_Avatar

Experienced Trainer & Breeder
    Years
    Okay, maybe a REAL noob question...
    But hey, how could I learn ?!
    Anyway, I'm not familiar with Hidden Power so, got a Charmender that suppose to know Hidden Power Grass...

Is it normal that when I teach it to him, it's still said that's a normal type attack ?!

Please somebody help, I feel little ashamed :P

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
    Okay, maybe a REAL noob question...
    But hey, how could I learn ?!
    Anyway, I'm not familiar with Hidden Power so, got a Charmender that suppose to know Hidden Power Grass...

Is it normal that when I teach it to him, it's still said that's a normal type attack ?!

Please somebody help, I feel little ashamed :P

Yeah, it always says Normal. It would be awesome if you could find HP type by teaching them Hidden Power- it would make finding IVs a lot easier.

Anyway, I'm about to SR for a Cresselia in Pearl. Anyone know a good build for it? I looked at Smogon's sets, but I'm not sure what to go with.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back