• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Simple Questions (Ask Questions Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Ah, Ok thanks, Since you dont like me cheating and everybody will probabley think i'm a noob if I do I wont. But I know where I can train HP EV's (Marrils at petalberg city) But where can I train attack EV's? (I cant do the secret bases thing)
    The best place to EV train for HP is Rustboro Tunnel. The only Poke in there is Whismur and you get 1 HP EV with each battle. There are a couple good places to train Atk Evs. The best is to fish on Route 116 for Carvanha. It is the only Poke you can get with the Super Rod and you get 2 EVs each battle. You can also fish on Route 119 with the Super Rod to find only Sharpedo for 2 Atk EV, but they range from Lv20-45 so be prepared.

Instead of getting multiple Exp Share through cheating, you can just put the Pokes you want to EV train in front and then switch them out. It takes longer, but at least it isn't cheating.

Here's a question:I got the Old Sea Chart in Emerald, but I can't get to Faraway island. How exactly do I GET to Faraway island?
    No idea. I do know that you have to get to Southern Island by the ferry at Lilycove, so maybe you have to do the same thing to get to Faraway Island.

It's Just Fufu

Nostalgia is powerful.
    Years
    You are supposed to go to Slateport City and speak with the woman in front of the S.S... well, I forgot the name, but it is that ship in the Slateport harbor. If you still can't go, then my guess is that u cheated for the ticket, and the game is punishing you by not letting you go to Faraway Island. EDIT: Oh yeah, it's called the S.S. Tidal!

shanecdavis, I'm not much of a in-game competitive battling person, but do u think this team could work on my Emerald version? I don't plan on using these pokemon for the BF though... I plan on breeding, and with access to the EV reducing berries(which increase Happiness by 10, IIRC) I can EV train my pokemon.

Sceptile@Shell Bell?
    Timid
    252 SAtk, 252 Speed, 6 HP
    Leaf Blade/Crunch/Leech Seed/Dragon Claw(is Leech Seed and Crunch illegal? If so, I guess I can have Agility or sumthin...)
    *Starter... yeah...

Gardevoir@Lefties
    Modest/Calm
    172 HP/28 HP/172 SAtk/136 SDef
    Calm Mind/Psychic/T-Bolt/Hypnosis
    *Meh, Hypnosis>Will-O-Wisp for in-game imo... since i'm not using this for the BF. Becomes a sp. wall after a couple of CMs...

Torkoal@Lefties
    Relaxed
    252 HP/216 Def/40 Atk
    Curse/Flamethrower/Sludge Bomb/Filler(Body Slam)
    *Phys. Wall... even though it isn't a very good one. Body Slam gives me para-support i guess...

Salamence@Lum Berry
    Adamant
    Aerial Ace/Brick Break/Dragon Dance/Earthquake
    *Using BB over RS cuz I'm afraid of getting haxed.

Donphan@Lefties
    Impish
    252 HP/148 Def/108 Atk
    Earthquake/Ancientpower/Rest/Filler(Return?)
    *Second phys. wall, and it a cool one at that :) Ancientpower is just plain cool imo.

Milotic@Lefties
    Bold
    252 HP/216 Def/40 SAtk
    Surf/Ice Beam/Hypnosis/Recover
    *Meh, I really couldn't think of anything else... I was thinking of adding Regice as a second sp. wall, but i noticed I need someone to use Surf. I would use the STalk version, but I won't have access to it.

I'm sure it could be improved... and I know my EVs are pretty jacked up.

Last edited:

It's Just Fufu

Nostalgia is powerful.
    Years
    Pokemon Tower? That is in FR/LG. Anyways, Pokemon Tower is in Lavendar Town, you can't miss it), and Trainer Tower is north of Seven Island's mainland.

In R/S/E, I think you mean the Battle Tower, and that is in either the Battle Frontier(Emerald), or it is at a place called the Battle Tower. You can reach both places via sea transportation by the S.S. Tidal

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2007
    Odd....In this guide on my lap here it says shadow ball, ice beam, flamethrower and thunder bolt TM`s are obtainable there...

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    My Ralts just caught Pokerus and I'm a bit confused about how you infect other pokemon. I traded it to Leaf Green so it won't "run out" for a bit, but I want to trade it back to Emerald. So if people could answer my questions it'd be great

1. How long does pokerus stay?
    2. How do you infect other pokemon?
    3. Does pokerus stay if you keep it in a box?

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    shanecdavis, I'm not much of a in-game competitive battling person, but do u think this team could work on my Emerald version? I don't plan on using these pokemon for the BF though... I plan on breeding, and with access to the EV reducing berries(which increase Happiness by 10, IIRC) I can EV train my pokemon.

Sceptile@Shell Bell?
    Timid
    252 SAtk, 252 Speed, 6 HP
    Leaf Blade/Crunch/Leech Seed/Dragon Claw(is Leech Seed and Crunch illegal? If so, I guess I can have Agility or sumthin...)
    *Starter... yeah...

Your team is begging for Swampert, but Sceptile can work. Yes, Leech Seed and Crunch are illegal. Leech Seed is 100 times better. The problem with both Sceptile and Blaziken is that their best movesets cannot be acquired until you reach the Move Tutor at the Battle Frontier. Agility would work, but Toxic could be an option too. It works well with LS.

Gardevoir@Lefties
    Modest/Calm
    172 HP/28 HP/172 SAtk/136 SDef
    Calm Mind/Psychic/T-Bolt/Hypnosis
    *Meh, Hypnosis>Will-O-Wisp for in-game imo... since i'm not using this for the BF. Becomes a sp. wall after a couple of CMs...

Yes, Hypnosis >> WOW in-game. Standard moveset.

Torkoal@Lefties
    Relaxed
    252 HP/216 Def/40 Atk
    Curse/Flamethrower/Sludge Bomb/Filler(Body Slam)
    *Phys. Wall... even though it isn't a very good one. Body Slam gives me para-support i guess...

Meh. I am not a fan of Fire-types in general, let alone the Hoenn options. I would suggest Aggron instead. Same weaknesses, but a helluva lot more resistances, not to mention higher in everything but SAtk and Spd. Plus, with a STAB Rock Slide, it is worth the 10% chance of missing.

Salamence@Lum Berry
    Adamant
    Aerial Ace/Brick Break/Dragon Dance/Earthquake
    *Using BB over RS cuz I'm afraid of getting haxed.

I would suggest using Choice Band with Fire Blast over DD.

Donphan@Lefties
    Impish
    252 HP/148 Def/108 Atk
    Earthquake/Ancientpower/Rest/Filler(Return?)
    *Second phys. wall, and it a cool one at that :) Ancientpower is just plain cool imo.

Counter works great in that last slot, but it is illegal with AP. Your choice. It can Toxic, if nothing else.

Milotic@Lefties
    Bold
    252 HP/216 Def/40 SAtk
    Surf/Ice Beam/Hypnosis/Recover
    *Meh, I really couldn't think of anything else... I was thinking of adding Regice as a second sp. wall, but i noticed I need someone to use Surf. I would use the STalk version, but I won't have access to it.

Milotic is a great choice. Sexy and versatile. The stalker version isn't as good in-game.

I'm sure it could be improved... and I know my EVs are pretty jacked up.
    I still think Swampert is needed. It would replace the need for Donphan and free up a spot for another special attacker. I didn't mess with your EVs because the IVs are too random. They aren't as vital in-game, and you seemed to have covered the important ones already. (i.e. Max HP on Milotic)

Odd....In this guide on my lap here it says shadow ball, ice beam, flamethrower and thunder bolt TM`s are obtainable there...
    LOL That guide is wrong. I hope you didn't pay any money for it. IB, FT, and TB can be bought at the Game Corner in Mauville City. Wattson gives you a TB after you complete the New Mauville sidequest. You can also find an Ice Beam in the Abandoned Ship. Shadow Ball is found on the top floor of Mt. Pyre. Flamethrower cannot be found anywhere except the Game Corner.

My Ralts just caught Pokerus and I'm a bit confused about how you infect other pokemon. I traded it to Leaf Green so it won't "run out" for a bit, but I want to trade it back to Emerald. So if people could answer my questions it'd be great

1. How long does pokerus stay?

Pokerus stays forever, but a Poke is only contageous for 24 hours.

2. How do you infect other pokemon?

The Poke with the virus will infect the other Pokes in your party automatically. Walk around for a while and then check.

3. Does pokerus stay if you keep it in a box?

You can put a infectious Poke in the PC to preserve it, but again, once a Poke gets it, it will have it forever. You lucky stiff. I probably breed more than most of you all here put together and I am still hoping to get it.

Sweet-Sapphire

Me as Sweet as Candy
    Years
    I have one question:

Is the White Herb a held item that is only used once? (like berries i.e.)

Yesterday, I was fighting against Wally's Delcatty with my Secptile in Emerald and it had its White Herb attached. The Delcatty used Charm, which reduced the attack of my Secptile and it used the Herb. After the fight, the Herb suddenly vanished. The Delcatty didn't used Covet.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    I have one question:

Is the White Herb a held item that is only used once? (like berries i.e.)

Yesterday, I was fighting against Wally's Delcatty with my Secptile in Emerald and it had its White Herb attached. The Delcatty used Charm, which reduced the attack of my Secptile and it used the Herb. After the fight, the Herb suddenly vanished. The Delcatty didn't used Covet.
    Yes, the White Herb is exactly like a berry in that it can only be used once.

Can I find a Mankey in Ruby?
    No, Mankey cannot be found in Ruby.

Lordpenguin

Pokémon: Lodestone
    Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2012
    How is the damage from Bite worked out? I mean, is it based on attack or special attack or some combination of them both? Will Swords Dance boost it?

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
    Ok I have a question now.

1. How often do the Lilycove Department Store Sales come along? Is there a set amount of time?
    2. How do I get Azurill? I know it has something to do with Marill but I'm not sure what to do with it.

!!**Alex**!!

Lordpenguin

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2012
    Ok I have a question now.

1. How often do the Lilycove Department Store Sales come along? Is there a set amount of time?
    2. How do I get Azurill? I know it has something to do with Marill but I'm not sure what to do with it.

!!**Alex**!!

1. As far as I am aware they are completely random after they become available.

2. Breed marills with one holding Sea Incense.

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years
    How is the damage from Bite worked out? I mean, is it based on attack or special attack or some combination of them both? Will Swords Dance boost it?

~*^*~~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~~*^*~

Um, Bite is a Dark attack, so it would be a Special Attack. Swords Dance won't boost it since Swords Dance only boosts physical Attack.

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
    Lordpenguin said:
    2. Breed marills with one holding Sea Incense.

Oh yup thanks I knew it wuz Marill and something.

What, in your opinion, is the best starter?

I would say Mudkip because it's pretty easy to defeat all the gym leaders using it and because Treecko is a pain to start the game with and Torchic you find trouble with later on in the game.

Last edited:

Lordpenguin

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2012

Um, Bite is a Dark attack, so it would be a Special Attack. Swords Dance won't boost it since Swords Dance only boosts physical Attack.

Thanks for the help. Now, a harder question: How thus do I make Absol have a decent dark attack. It cannot learn growth, after all.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
    Lordpenguin said:
    Thanks for the help. Now, a harder question: How thus do I make Absol have a decent dark attack. It cannot learn growth, after all.

Wait for D/P to come out so Bite and Crunch become physical attacks. xP It's not always a good idea to use STAB moves, ya' know, you've got to go by the statline, and Absol's statline heavily favours physical attacks.

!!**Alex**!! said:
    Oh yup thanks I knew it wuz Marill and something.

Do remember that this only works if the Sea Incense is on the male. I believe that Marill and Ditto work too.
    andrewv42 said:
    What, in your opinion, is the best starter?

There's no single best starter. Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Chikorita, or Mudkip are what you take if you need a heavy tanking type pokémon to absorb damage, while Treecko, Torchic, Charmander, Totodile, and Cyndaquil grow into sweepers. The important thing is team dynamics.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back