• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Questions (PLEASE USE THE SEARCH BUTTON BEFORE ASKING)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
    Years
    ASM? I've heard about it, but I honestly have no idea what it is or does. Any help about that or recommend a "slightly" easier program to use for it?

ASM is the code language the gba runs on. You write it. Read more about it on Hackmew's knowledge or the other asm tutorials here.

GoGoJJTech

Years
    Hello everybody.

I'm trying to change the Deoxys forme on Fire Red, but I can't find the stats for the attack forme. (there's only data for the normal forme stats within the pokémon stats)
    I believe that there's a routine that changes the stats of Deoxys to the stats of the game-exclusive forme.
    So,is there a way to change these stats?

Karatekid552 has been looking through it. They're stored separately, of course.
    There is no way to edit it with a tool atm
    but his gen3hacking suite will soon have that feature.

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    Hello everybody.

I'm trying to change the Deoxys forme on Fire Red, but I can't find the stats for the attack forme. (there's only data for the normal forme stats within the pokémon stats)
    I believe that there's a routine that changes the stats of Deoxys to the stats of the game-exclusive forme.
    So,is there a way to change these stats?

It appears to be stored at 0x25E026 (untested)
    format is HP XX ATK XX DEF XX SPD XX SP.ATK XX SP.DEF
    Editing the HP here does not seem to effect the game-specific forme. Editing the Normal forme's HP does effect it though.(Well, that was for Emerald, but I assume it is the same)

Also if you (or anyone else) want, Emeralds Offset is at 0x329D48 with the same format

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2014
    Does anybody know how to export the 256x64 sprites from games? Like taking the images of Torchic, for example, and putting them onto somebody's computer?

GoGoJJTech

Years
    Does anybody know how to export the 256x64 sprites from games? Like taking the images of Torchic, for example, and putting them onto somebody's computer?

You can use advance series or gen 3 hacking suite for this.

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2014
    You can use advance series or gen 3 hacking suite for this.

I use the Gen 3 Hacking Suite, but I don't know how to do that. Could you give me a "slight" tutorial? Or is it just as simple as dragging the image off of the sprite "buttons?"

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
    Years
    I use the Gen 3 Hacking Suite, but I don't know how to do that. Could you give me a "slight" tutorial? Or is it just as simple as dragging the image off of the sprite "buttons?"

G3HS does not support saving of images yet. That really isn't on my priorities list, but it will eventually make it in. Advance Series can though.

~Justified~

~Working On A New Rom Hack~
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2015
    I have a question about some tile errors I'm having, when I leave my first town in VBA and go to route 1, I get tile errors in the town when i return, for example, after returning, there are random tree/grass tiles where the buildings once were, I have to constantly move around for them to dissapear and then it just happens again.

I'm using the original tiles in firered btw, sometimes the people's overworlds dissapear for a second or too as well. Any way to fix this or keep it from happening again?

GoGoJJTech

Years
    I have a question about some tile errors I'm having, when I leave my first town in VBA and go to route 1, I get tile errors in the town when i return, for example, after returning, there are random tree/grass tiles where the buildings once were, I have to constantly move around for them to dissapear and then it just happens again.

I'm using the original tiles in firered btw, sometimes the people's overworlds dissapear for a second or too as well. Any way to fix this or keep it from happening again?

The tilesets on each map must be the same or they'll replace each other on map load. Same with the OWs, make sure they're in the same spots.

LORDENGLISH

HOMESTUCK GOD
    Years
    The tilesets on each map must be the same or they'll replace each other on map load. Same with the OWs, make sure they're in the same spots.
    This is SOMEWHAT true, I've had some success with switching over from one tileset map to the other, going by what Game Freak originally did with fire red. I noticed that they carefully only used overworld tiles from tileset 0 when switching between maps NORMALLY, but going up Route 1 to Viridian city, the tileset abruptly changes at the connection point from 01 (pallet town) to 02 (viridian city), but anyone who's played the game knows, for some reason, the tiles from tileset 1 don't seem to impose. Why? Because nintendo was sneaky. They carefully made sure that for at least seven to ten tiles up from route 1, that no custom viridian city tiles would be used.
    By the time you see custom tile'd things like houses, you've gone up a significant enough portion of the map that the memory dump loads them with viridian's tileset, and not glitching between that and pallet's tileset.

TL;DR: If you wish to switch between tilesets, do what nintendo did, make sure there's only tiles from tileset 0 for around ten tiles either way between transitions. I didn't exactly go counting them, so it might be slightly more or less. You'll need some trial and error to test this out possibly.
    It shouldn't glitch if you give the ROM enough space to load the new tileset onto the custom tiles on the map.

Sorry if any of this was at all confusing.

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
    Years
    This is SOMEWHAT true, I've had some success with switching over from one tileset map to the other, going by what Game Freak originally did with fire red. I noticed that they carefully only used overworld tiles from tileset 0 when switching between maps NORMALLY, but going up Route 1 to Viridian city, the tileset abruptly changes at the connection point from 01 (pallet town) to 02 (viridian city), but anyone who's played the game knows, for some reason, the tiles from tileset 1 don't seem to impose. Why? Because nintendo was sneaky. They carefully made sure that for at least seven to ten tiles up from route 1, that no custom viridian city tiles would be used.
    By the time you see custom tile'd things like houses, you've gone up a significant enough portion of the map that the memory dump loads them with viridian's tileset, and not glitching between that and pallet's tileset.

TL;DR: If you wish to switch between tilesets, do what nintendo did, make sure there's only tiles from tileset 0 for around ten tiles either way between transitions. I didn't exactly go counting them, so it might be slightly more or less. You'll need some trial and error to test this out possibly.
    It shouldn't glitch if you give the ROM enough space to load the new tileset onto the custom tiles on the map.

Sorry if any of this was at all confusing.

What gogo said is 100% true dude..... He said that the tiles replace each other on loading. So, by that logic, the only way for a continuous flow is to make sure that both maps share the same tileset for the tiles that are on screen when both maps are shown at once. They will still get replaced but you won't notice since they get replaced by the same tiles. You basically gave a huge explanation of what gogo said. However, you made an incorrect statement. He can use any tileset he wants, as long as both maps have access to every tile that is within 11 tiles (for a vertical connection) or 16 tiles (for a horizontal connection) so that whenever both maps are on the screen at once, they only have tiles from the shared tileset. This can be any tileset, not just 0.

LORDENGLISH

HOMESTUCK GOD
    Years
    What gogo said is 100% true dude..... He said that the tiles replace each other on loading. So, by that logic, the only way for a continuous flow is to make sure that both maps share the same tileset for the tiles that are on screen when both maps are shown at once. They will still get replaced but you won't notice since they get replaced by the same tiles. You basically gave a huge explanation of what gogo said. However, you made an incorrect statement. He can use any tileset he wants, as long as both maps have access to every tile that is within 11 tiles (for a vertical connection) or 16 tiles (for a horizontal connection) so that whenever both maps are on the screen at once, they only have tiles from the shared tileset. This can be any tileset, not just 0.
    Oh god, you're right, I misread before, sorry.
    And yes, that's also true. >_>
    Sorry about that.

MrDollSteak

Formerly known as 11bayerf1
    Years
    ok so what can i use to modify asm to edit abilities if anything at all?

ASM isn't really something you modify as such, ASM is just a programming language.
    What you'll need are compilers and debuggers, and knowledge of how to program in
    ASM. There are lots of handy tutorials here, I'd recommend Karatekid's or Shiny_Quagsire's.

Alternatively if you want new abilities, you can use my rombase.

LORDENGLISH

HOMESTUCK GOD
    Years
    ASM isn't really something you modify as such, ASM is just a programming language.
    What you'll need are compilers and debuggers, and knowledge of how to program in
    ASM. There are lots of handy tutorials here, I'd recommend Karatekid's or Shiny_Quagsire's.

Alternatively if you want new abilities, you can use my rombase.
    Lots of people don't know what ASM stands for, btw. (I admit, I didn't at first).
    I found out the hard way, when figuring out shinyzer.

Aethestode

Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2023
    Is JPAN patch compatible with mrDollSteak patch or Jambo's patch?

Oh, nvm, found out that it is :)

JordanB500

Former Pokemon League Champion
    Years
    i dont know what asm stands for but i do know that it is a programing language and i dont have the knowledge to understand what is required except for bits and pieces of code ive seen on this site like reusable tms etc also btw when i edit or change headers(or wild pokemon data) on maps for some reason it messes with the music in game and i have to start over from an earlier build or stick with it any ideas as to why this happens?

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2015
    How would you recommend collaborating on a rom with a group? Say 2 people want to work on the rom but separate maps and the like.

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2014
    Well, since I didn't see anything in the thread rules about this, does anybody wanna work on a rom with me? I can't handle everything by myself. If you're interested, just shoot me a message!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back