• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Questions (PLEASE USE THE SEARCH BUTTON BEFORE ASKING)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
Years
  • you can't use advance trainer while also having the display settings on windows over 100%. change that and it should work.

Or just use unnamed trainer editor. which also works way better and has less bugs.

Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2017
    My friends and I are working on our first hack, and we're a decent way through. We're using FireRed for our base with MrDollSteak's fairy patch.
    We realized that we need to enable the National Dex at the beginning so we can use non-Kanto Pokemon.
    This is were we've run into a bit of a snag. Everything we've tried breaks something else, and we lack the experience to fix it:
    • For Prof. Oak, changing "special 0x181" to "special 0x16F" either doesn't compile, or it made the rival disappear
    • Using a randomizer to enable it messed up the fairy type
    • Trying to add a script somewhere else to enable it broke catching any Pokemon

Here's the script I tried. It replaced the normal one for the Aid in the bottom right corner of Prof. Oak's Lab.
    Spoiler:

Like I said, we're new to this so any help would be appreciated. I've searched here and on other forums and nothing seems to work. Thanks in advance, since I'm sure there's a really simple solution.

Last edited:

MrDollSteak

Formerly known as 11bayerf1
    Years
  • My friends and I are working on our first hack, and we're a decent way through. We're using FireRed for our base with MrDollSteak's fairy patch.
    We realized that we need to enable the National Dex at the beginning so we can use non-Kanto Pokemon.
    This is were we've run into a bit of a snag. Everything we've tried breaks something else, and we lack the experience to fix it:
    • For Prof. Oak, changing "special 0x181" to "special 0x16F" either doesn't compile, or it made the rival disappear
    • Using a randomizer to enable it messed up the fairy type
    • Trying to add a script somewhere else to enable it broke catching any Pokemon

Here's the script I tried. It replaced the normal one for the Aid in the bottom right corner of Prof. Oak's Lab.
    Spoiler:

Like I said, we're new to this so any help would be appreciated. I've searched here and on other forums and nothing seems to work. Thanks in advance, since I'm sure there's a really simple solution.

A) It's not a fairy patch as such, as it is an expansion of Gen III features. This is why randomisers can't be used, because the base locations of moves, abilities, and types have been repointed.
    B) You don't want to replace the special. You'll want to add it to the script, so just drop a line, and repoint the script somewhere.

Henakuo

Moonlit Trainer
    Years
  • Working on a Mod for Firered.

Okay I would like to know one of two things, and it's an either/or kinda thing.

1. How do you change the location at which you "respawn" after you white out? Right now, I have it so my first route will likely K.O. your beginning game team, so a whiteout is likely to happen; but the room in your house (where you normally recover) has its format changed, and the characters mother is changed so she wouldnt say what she does. When you respawn in this place you are surfing (but can still move despite "C" tiles everywhere) and are facing and talking to your mother who is no longer in that spot. I would LIKE to make that respawn point become the spot you start out at after the intro scene.

OR

2. How to you make a whiteout take you to the Title Screen and do a GAME OVER type thing? But not remove your save data? This is a scenario where the trainer is in a nightmare, so when he whites out it'd be more fitting for it to become a GAME OVER. I am not looking for a Nuzlocke challenge situation where you must start over, just have to restart from your last save.

Thanks in advance for ANY help :)

Tlachtli

Crit happens.
    Years
  • 2. How to you make a whiteout take you to the Title Screen and do a GAME OVER type thing? But not remove your save data? This is a scenario where the trainer is in a nightmare, so when he whites out it'd be more fitting for it to become a GAME OVER. I am not looking for a Nuzlocke challenge situation where you must start over, just have to restart from your last save.

Thanks in advance for ANY help :)

There's a BIOS function for a soft reset that can be called in an asm script, "swi #0x0". The hex representation for it would be:
    Code:
    00 DF C0 46
    I haven't messed around any with the white-out routine (yet), but I'm assuming it is mostly or completely handled by asm. If that's the case, it just becomes a matter of finding the right spot to insert those four bytes. Alternatively if you paste them into free space somewhere you could do a soft reset through an XSE script with:
    Code:
    callasm [inserted address +1]

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
    Years
  • Help me! Can someone help me on how to index and recolour OW sprites? I seriously need Help!

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    Help me! Can someone help me on how to index and recolour OW sprites? I seriously need Help!

Any overworld sprite you export with an overworld sprite editor will be indexed. To "recolour" one, you have to edit the palette of the indexed sprite, I use IrfanView for that but a lot of image editing software can do that, and import the sprite back along with the palette. A lot of the NPC overworld sprites use the same palettes though, so make sure you know which palette you're editing.

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2014
    I'm a scripting noob and I need a little bit of help. I wrote a script that will give an item if you talk to a person, but in all of the tutorials I've looked at, I haven't found out how to set up the sequence. Whenever I go to talk to the guy (completely new guy in A-Map), I hear the little beep, but no message pops up. How do I make it work? I change the Person's ID to the flag? Offset too? Please help!

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    I'm a scripting noob and I need a little bit of help. I wrote a script that will give an item if you talk to a person, but in all of the tutorials I've looked at, I haven't found out how to set up the sequence. Whenever I go to talk to the guy (completely new guy in A-Map), I hear the little beep, but no message pops up. How do I make it work? I change the Person's ID to the flag? Offset too? Please help!

Can you post the script? The command for giving items is giveitem 0x[item] 0x[quantity] 0x[message type]. Message types are 0x1 for the "found" message, used for hidden items, and 0x0 for "obtained". Make sure to "release" the message after the giveitem command though.

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2014
    Can you post the script? The command for giving items is giveitem 0x[item] 0x[quantity] 0x[message type]. Message types are 0x1 for the "found" message, used for hidden items, and 0x0 for "obtained". Make sure to "release" the message after the giveitem command though.

I must warn you! It's a very complex script, well at least in my opinion. Here's the idea of what I wanted to do. I'm going to have a guy at the beginning who gives out specific stones for permanent mega evolutions. The script is provided below. If I can get it to work, then I think, and this is only speculation at this point, we found a Gen 3 Mega Evolution basis to work off of.

#dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
    lock
    faceplayer
    checkflag 0xFFFF
    if 0x1 goto @finished
    msgbox @1 0x5
    compare 0x800D 0x1
    if 0x1 goto @bulba
    msgbox @no 0x6
    release
    end

#org @finished
    msgbox @already_recieved 0x6
    release
    end

#org @bulba
    msgbox@bulba_ask 0x5
    compare 0x800D 0x1
    if 0x1 goto @bulba_yes
    goto @char

#org @char
    msgbox@char_ask 0x5
    compare 0x800D 0x1
    if 0x1 goto @char_yes
    goto @squir

#org @squir
    msgbox @squir_ask 0x5
    compare 0x800D 0x1
    if 0x1 goto @bulba

#org @bulba_yes
    compare 0xFFFF 0x1
    if 0x0 goto @not_bulba
    giveitem 0x[FFFF item] 0x1 MSG_OBTAIN
    msgbox @enjoy_bulba

#org @not_bulba
    msgbox @bulbanotstarter 0x6
    release
    end

#org @bulbanotstarter
    = Wait! I don't think you chose Bulbasaur. I have no time for liars!

#org @enjoy_bulba
    = Enjoy that Venusaurite!

#org @char_yes
    compare 0xFFFF 0x1
    if 0x0 goto @not_char
    msgbox @enjoy_char

#org @not_char
    msgbox @charnotstarter 0x6
    release
    end

#org @charnotstarter
    = Wait! I don't think you chose Charmander. I have no time for liars!

#org @enjoy_char
    = Enjoy that Charizardite!

#org @squir_yes
    compare 0xFFFF 0x1
    if 0x0 goto @not_squir
    msgbox @enjoy_squir

#org @not_squir
    msgbox @squirnotstarter 0x6
    release
    end

#org @squirnotstarter
    = Wait! I don't think you chose Squirtle. I have no time for liars!

#org @enjoy_squir
    = Enjoy that Blastoisite!

#org @already_recieved
    = I already gave you your item! Go away!

How do I start the script by having the player talk to the NPC? The NPC is a clean sprite-event, meaning that nothing is set at all. Everything is zeros except for the position. Help me out here?

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    I must warn you! It's a very complex script, well at least in my opinion. Here's the idea of what I wanted to do. I'm going to have a guy at the beginning who gives out specific stones for permanent mega evolutions. The script is provided below. If I can get it to work, then I think, and this is only speculation at this point, we found a Gen 3 Mega Evolution basis to work off of.

How do I start the script by having the player talk to the NPC? The NPC is a clean sprite-event, meaning that nothing is set at all. Everything is zeros except for the position. Help me out here?

Well, how do you expect the script to execute if it's all zeros? When you compile the script, copy the offset for @start and paste it in the Script Offset box of the NPC in Advance Map.

If there is something wrong with the script, you can post in the Script Help thread.

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2014
    Well, how do you expect the script to execute if it's all zeros? When you compile the script, copy the offset for @start and paste it in the Script Offset box of the NPC in Advance Map.

If there is something wrong with the script, you can post in the Script Help thread.

I was wondering how to set up the sprite? If I change the flag and the offset, will that be enough for me to execute the script? Or do I have to change one of the "unknowns?" I've heard doing it both ways, but I don't know what works best.

But just to make sure, just compile it, copy the offset of the compiled script into A-Map, and run a test through the emulator?

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    I was wondering how to set up the sprite? If I change the flag and the offset, will that be enough for me to execute the script? Or do I have to change one of the "unknowns?" I've heard doing it both ways, but I don't know what works best.

But just to make sure, just compile it, copy the offset of the compiled script into A-Map, and run a test through the emulator?

Yes. I don't understand what you're asking, though. If you don't set the offset to the one you compile, how do you expect the script to execute? The Person ID controls the sprite's visibility, if you're not planning on making it appear or reappear, you should just keep it to 0. And you probably won't have to do anything with the Unknown boxes.

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2014
    Yes. I don't understand what you're asking, though. If you don't set the offset to the one you compile, how do you expect the script to execute? The Person ID controls the sprite's visibility, if you're not planning on making it appear or reappear, you should just keep it to 0. And you probably won't have to do anything with the Unknown boxes.

Ah that makes sense now. I'll just change the offset then to whatever I get for the script. Thank you for the help!

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    Ah that makes sense now. I'll just change the offset then to whatever I get for the script. Thank you for the help!

I forgot to say that if you're planning on making the NPC move in any way, without returning to its default position by the end of the script, you'll have to use a different person ID, otherwise the NPC will just move back to its default position. I'm sure there's plenty of scripting tutorials that explain this in more detail though, so make sure to look through some of them.

Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2017
    Guys, how can I set the hero/heroine's gender as a default one? Meaning without giving the player the chance to choose during the game's intro.

kearnseyboy6

Aussie's Toughest Mudder
    Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2019
    Does any one know how to increase the amount of blocks in a tile set?

Repointing them doesn't seem to work well.

Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2019
    Hello,
    I've inserted my tileset and tilemap succesfully, which you can see in AdvanceMap, but when I open the fly-menu in VBA it shows some plain green tiles in the lower right corner. Here's a link so you can see what I mean: ht tp://i6 1.tinyp ic.co m/j7tcmf.png (remove spaces as I'm not allowed to post links). It looks great in AdvanceMap so I don't know what the problem is. I'm new to Pokémon hacking, so it I don't know what I should do. If you know what the problem is, or how to fix this, please answer. Thanks in advance.

Just bumping my question...

Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2017
    Originally Posted by BKaiser
    A quick question: Guys, is there any tool or guide here in the forum to repoint the unown cries of the ??? pokemon to some other pokemon cries
    Originally Posted by joexv
    Here ya go.

Sorry for bothering again but I don't understand how does this tool (Cry Pointer Repointer) exactly work. I tried the obvious: got the pointer of the pokemon whose cry I want to use, copied it on the pointer box of the pokemon number 252 (whose unown cry I want to replace) and then I hit repoint. It doesn't seem to work though. Pokemon no252 still has the unown cry and not the Aerodactyl cry I want it to have.

Any help would be much-much-much appreciated! Changing a pokemon's cry with an other, existing one, sounds extremely simple but it has caused me a lot of problems so far. :/

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back