• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2011
    Obviously you don't play classic much.

I've played all formats (Unlimited, Modified, Draft) since 1999 and am one of the best players in my country. Don't start dude. ;)

Still, you are coming from a very narrow Base - Fossil viewpoint, especially when unlimited has almost 20 sets to pick from. Aerodactyl is an awesome card to bring out, especially by all the different methods; Fossil egg, Holon FOssil, Mysterious fossil (some with 50HP), etc etc. Locking down some of the most annoying Stage 1s particularly Muk & Wiggly.
    Wiggly isnt the biggest card anymore. Its low HP, now only average attack in comparison to newer items and sore weakness to F (60 for C from Tyrogue) make it an above average card.
    Mimes is a very good Jungle card, but a crafty GoW and attacking it with a basic can always cause mayhem. However your example of Kadabra as a good attacker is quite debateable, the same with Charmeleon, Pinsir, Jolteon (and possibly ditto).

Nowadays the choices of unlimited are huge. However this means that only the best cards are ever making an impact in the format. Blastoise, Suicune ex, Haymaker contents, Mewtwo, Sneasel, Cleffa, Slowking and a few other rogues.

Lordpenguin

Pokémon: Lodestone
    Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2012
    Yeah, I know how most classic cards aren't good in the Unlimited meta, which i kind of obvious. Most of the cards I listed are powerful only in the classic meta, so apparent benchmarks like cleffa aren't even there.
    Any card can be beaten, so don't start listing ways to.

As for the best player in your country? Well, good for you is all I can say. Going back to classic is a whole lot different however, so, don't assume stuff, like I mistakenly did ¦D. It is just that you said that the only viable decks in Classic format are maker and raindance, which is slightly exaggerating. It would be a pretty boring tournament with only 2 archetypes, especially when maker can usually beat dance most of the time.

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
  • Hi I'm just wondering but are the original set of cards banned from tournaments now??? Because I haven't played for a number of years and all I have is my original cards and the Leaf Green deck.

!!**Alex**!!

Lordpenguin

Pokémon: Lodestone
    Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2012
    As far as I am aware, they are banned from sanctioned (nintendo-run) Modified format tournaments, but not Unlimited tournaments.

Un-sanctioned, well, who knows?

EDIT: but I wouldn't try using an old deck in an Unlimited tourney... The power level is very high, having most of the cards ever printed to pick from.

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
  • Oh ok cool... that just means I need to buy some new cards if I really want to play but I do have quite a good deck made from the original set....

!!**Alex**!!

jakestlm

<- It's a Sonic Screwdriver
    Years
    • Seen May 11, 2010
    I have another odd question:

What's this that I've read about an Ampharos EX in one of the original E-Series sets? (Wizard's last sets)

I have tried to find out something, anything, about the card, but all I can find is two small blurbs on Pojo.

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2011
    There is no Ampharos ex in the E Series made by Wizards (Expedition, Aquapolis or Skyridge) bu there are ampharos' in expedition and aquapolis.

Ampharos ex appeared in the set ex: Dragons by nintendo. Whats the actual question?

ppee_ex

pokémon colector
    Years
  • hey...

i need some help here... tell me, in the middle of a game, i just putted a basic pokemon in my bank,switched the active pokemon with it, used a wally's training at it,used its evolution poke power, and then at this same turn in wich this happened i use a surprise!time machine and evolved back that pokemon....

someone tell me, can i evolve a pokemon using wally's training in the turn i putted it in my bank,use its poke power, and use a surprise!time machine on it to evolve it once again , all that at the same turn?

Drifblim

Banned
    Years
  • I believe not, since the rules state that you are not to evolve a Pokémon on the first turn out or on the same turn in which it already evolved.

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2008
    ppee_ex - I'm sure I answered that question for you? And I'm sure the answer was yes, you can do all that.

Crimson Arcanine

The majestic and mythical
    Years
  • Hmmm..i might back into playing and collecting. Too bad back in the old days, the best deck i ever made was my first :( and i no longer have the cards to make it now...but since I lack cards for the newer sets, i'll get thumped by everybody. (Which is nothing new, i get thumped by most everybody at any card game i play)

Maybe I should make an inventory of my cards, so I know what I have to work with.

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
    Years
  • I believe not, since the rules state that you are not to evolve a Pokémon on the first turn out or on the same turn in which it already evolved.
    That only applies for normal evolution. Evolution as the result of Powers/Bodies or Trainer cards doesn't count for that.

Soulflame Ninetales, the current Modified format is DX-on so you'll probably need to start getting cards all over again, as I did. Be warned. It's expensive.

BluTron

Fight For The Users!
    Years
    • Seen May 19, 2015
    Hello,

I'm new to this forum, I was told to post here in this thread to ask my simple questions that I may have about the cards I own. Hopefully, someone will be able to help me out. I'm sorry if I'm not allowed to post on a topic that's really old, I'm not really sure where else to ask but, here.

Anyway, to get to the chase of things, I recently found all of my Pokémon, Digimon, and Yugioh cards. I know this is a Pokémon forum, so, I'll just ask the questions I have for my Pokémon cards that I have.

I used to collect Pokémon cards when I was younger, never knew how to play the actual game, but, often played the game on my Game Boy. I've just recently found all of my Pokémon cards that I have been looking for now, possibly, over several years? Anyway, I'm mainly here to find out what some of my cards are worth... since, I have no idea! Hopefully, I'll be able to get some input on the kinds of cards I have, and what some go for in value, and what people are willing to pay for them.

Since, I was only a collector of these cards, I have no idea which edition/what the little symbols on the top right of each card means really/anything else that's important to know about all the cards I have, and own in my collection.

Some questions that I hope are simple enough to have answered:

How do I tell which cards are which?
    How do I know the names of the editions that I have?
    What's the difference between a Pokémon Card and a Pocket Monster Game Card?
    How do I know if I have a Holo Card? What are the signs that I may own one?
    What are the names of cards that are colors such as: Blue, Purple, Silver, Redish/Yellow, Green, Red, Yellow, ect, ect.?
    What's the difference between a Pokémon Card that has a Holo and a Pocket Monster Game Card that also has a Holo on it, but it has it all over it? (if that makes any sense), I can post pictures and show them to you if needed.
    How do I know/find out if I have any Pokémon cards that are considered to be "Rare"?
    How do I search cards that aren't in English?

I may have more questions, but, these are it for now. I'm not here to really find out how to play the game, only about the cards, and the questions I have regarding them.

Again, I'm sorry if I'm not allowed to bump an old topic as this thread was last posted in '06. I was only told to come here to ask my questions I have. I really hope that someone takes the time to help me out, since I'm new here, and have no knowledge of my Pokémon cards that I own.

I appreciate all the help I can get, thank you! :cool:

slickmario

nomnomnom
    Years
  • Oooooo...bumping a 4 year old thread. Naughty, naughty :P

How do I tell which cards are which? Cards have a set number and a set symbol. I don't have a link to a full cardex, but Pokebeach has one, with every scan.

How do I know the names of the editions that I have? Not all the cards have editions anymore. They are all printed together. For older cards, look at the bottom left corner, right next to the picture. If it is first edition, it will say so. If not, then it is called Unlimited.

What's the difference between a Pokémon Card and a Pocket Monster Game Card? A Pokemon card is English. Pocket Monsters is what the game is called in Japan.

How do I know if I have a Holo Card? What are the signs that I may own one? There are two types of Holo cards. Regular-holo, and Reverse Holo. Regular-Holo cards are exclusive to the first few cards of a set. You can tell by simply moving the cards back and forth to see somewhat of a cosmic shine to the picture's backround. Reverse Holo cards are much easier to see at first glance. The card itself (not the picture) is reflective, almost like a mirror.

What are the names of cards that are colors such as: Blue, Purple, Silver, Redish/Yellow, Green, Red, Yellow, ect, ect.? The different colors represent the different types, like in the video games. Blue is Water, Purple is Psychic, Silver (or just White) is Colorless, Brown is Fighting, Green is Grass, Red is Fire, and Yellow is Lightning.

What's the difference between a Pokémon Card that has a Holo and a Pocket Monster Game Card that also has a Holo on it, but it has it all over it? (if that makes any sense), I can post pictures and show them to you if needed. A picture would be appreciated.

How do I know/find out if I have any Pokémon cards that are considered to be "Rare"? At the very bottom right corner of the card (next to the set symbol and card number) will be an image of a shape. A circle means that the card is common. If there is a diamond, then the card is uncommon. A star shape would mean that the card is rare. If the card is one of the first cards of the set (1/95), then the card would be holo in someway, thus it would be called holo-rare (with the same star as regular rare). Some special cards are classified as ultra-rare, with a holo star as the symbol.

How do I search cards that aren't in English? Japanese cards can be found anywhere, mostly on Ebay. Some sites have English card scans with proper translations (like Pokebeach).

Answers have been given to your questions.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Something to add about the Pokemon vs. Poket Monsters bit: Japan changed their backs to say Pokemon instead of Pocket Monsters back in 2002. Those backs are quite brightly colored compared to the backs of cards for the rest of the world.

Oh, and you forgot about "secret rare" holos like Pokemon Prime, Lv. X cards, ex cards, and that metallic whole-card foil pattern in the B/W set.

As for card colors, you forgot about black (Dark type) and grey/silver (Steel type).

That Pocket Monsters card sounds like a sticker fake.

As for rarities, it's gotten harder to determine rarity (as in rare holo vs plain old rare) by card number for reverse holos with B/W since the collector's number set order got changed so they're all sorted by type.

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2012
    I have a few "Pocket Monsters" cards in Japanese. Mostly from the fossil set, but none of them are holo or whatever, they're all trainer cards too. I used to have an Oddish...

I have a question about this particular Snorlax: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Snorlax_(Jungle_11)

I don't understand how it's pokemon power works. Say for example, an opponents Oddish uses sleep powder on it. Does Snorlax's power prevent it from falling asleep or does the power not work because it was put to sleep?

Also, just as a general question, I know that in the lattest rule change, Pokemon powers and similar effects were changed to be named "Abilities". Apparently, these Abilities can be used both when the pokemon is active and on the bench.

When I play casually with my friends, I use mostly cards from the E-Reader set and before that. We treat the powers as "Abilities" and the poke-bodies as they are. I was just wondering if this was the fair way to approach this, and I'm not really sure what the best way to treat the old pokemon powers is. Any advice would be appreciated.

Years
  • I have a few "Pocket Monsters" cards in Japanese. Mostly from the fossil set, but none of them are holo or whatever, they're all trainer cards too. I used to have an Oddish...

I have a question about this particular Snorlax: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Snorlax_(Jungle_11)

I don't understand how it's pokemon power works. Say for example, an opponents Oddish uses sleep powder on it. Does Snorlax's power prevent it from falling asleep or does the power not work because it was put to sleep?

Also, just as a general question, I know that in the lattest rule change, Pokemon powers and similar effects were changed to be named "Abilities". Apparently, these Abilities can be used both when the pokemon is active and on the bench.

When I play casually with my friends, I use mostly cards from the E-Reader set and before that. We treat the powers as "Abilities" and the poke-bodies as they are. I was just wondering if this was the fair way to approach this, and I'm not really sure what the best way to treat the old pokemon powers is. Any advice would be appreciated.

Those all sound legit. That was the original card back for Japan. But Japan didn't have special foil versions of common and uncommon cards for several years.

Basically, that means Snorlax can't be hit by those special conditions at all. The wording is based on how they worked then, though, which is slightly different from the present.

Old Poke-Powers got split into Poke-Bodies and Poke-Powers, so they all should be treated as Abilities now, including Poke-Bodies, since Abilities are PokeBodies and PokePowers combined into one, iirc. Also, the old PokePowers had some effects similar to Poke-Bodies such as the PokePower of the Jungle set Snorlax.

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2012
    Back with another question lol. What counts as an item card? I got a Lillipup in a booster pack and I would really love to include it in a deck I'm working on, but I only have one Trainer card that actualy says "Item" on it. At first, I assumed that items were all the Trainer cards except Supporters, but now I'm not sure.

Specific cards in question:
    Defender
    Pluspower
    Berries
    Potions, Moo-Moo Milk, Full Heal, Revive and anything similar
    Pokemon Center
    Energy Search/Retrieval/Removal
    Pokemon flute
    Super Rod
    (All from pre-e-reader sets)
    I hope this question isn't too complicated for this thread!

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back