• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Simple Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Ok, thanks for that :) In my team I also have Umbreon, Rhydon, Kabutops, Raichu, and Kangaskahn. What would the best moves be for them? If you need more info on them just tell me :) Thanks
    Umbreon @ Leftovers
    Trait: Synchronize
    Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
    - Baton Pass
    - Protect
    - Toxic/Substitute
    - Wish

Wishpassing Umbreon, my favorite. Make sure that its Spd IVs are as low as possible and don't give it ANY Spd EVs either. Umbreon must be slow so that the opponent attacks Umbreon first, and then BP kicks in, switching to a weakened teammate, and then Wish kicks in healing it. Toxic is so it can actually do some damage, or you can use Substitute (harder to acquire) instead, which with Umbreon's tough defenses lasts pretty well when BP'd to a teammate.

Rhydon @ Leftovers
    Trait: Rock Head
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide/Rock Blast
    - Swords Dance
    - Megahorn/Substitute

Rhydon is underrated, but that is because it is difficult to use. It has great physical defense, but is incredibly weak to special attacks, with a crappy base SAtk of 45. That is where Umbreon comes in. Umbreon BP its stout defensive stats, and then you use Swords Dance to buff up Rhydon and cause serious damage. Megahorn is highly preferred, but Substitute can be used if you don't use it on Umbreon. Likewise, Rock Slide is preferred, but Rock Blast does come in handy blowing through opponent's Subs.

Kabutops @ Leftovers
    Trait: Swift Swim
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Endure
    - Flail
    - Rock Slide
    - Swords Dance

Its limited movepool and too many weaknesses hurts this otherwise cool Poke. I don't endorse the cheap Endure/Flail combo, but there isn't much else it can do. Rhydon is more effective at doing what this can. Its base SAtk is too weak (65) for its Water moves to be used. A different Water-type is suggested.

Raichu @ Leftovers
    Trait: Static
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Thunder Wave
    - Toxic
    - Volt Tackle/Thunderbolt
    - Wish

Meh. Raichu is too one-dimensional. Jolteon, Electabuzz, and Magneton are far better and more versatile. You can take advantage of its high Atk and go with Substitute/Focus Punch, but you have better options for Sub.

Kangaskhan @ Leftovers/Choice Band
    Trait: Early Bird
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Brick Break
    - Rest/Earthquake
    - Return
    - Shadow Ball

This Poke is a better companion to Rhydon than Kabutops. It covers more physical attack types and then can abuse Rest since its trait will wake it up a whole turn earlier. Its high HP and solid defenses make it formidable. Not as strong as Tauros, but still effective. You can go the Choice Band route and add Earthquake instead of Rest if you like.

Overall, Quilava is definitely your weak link. I would replace it with a good mixed sweeper like Dragonite. I would also replace Kabutops with Starmie or Gengar to give you a much better special sweeper. Good luck.

Akiyo

Send my love.
    Years
    Alright, thanks but I still wanna keep Quilava. I'll change over Kabutops though, I can get a Gengar :)

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    If you keep Quilava, then you will need to get rid of Kangaskhan or Rhydon. As it was stated already, you have a HUGE Fighting/Ground weakness. I would take out Rhydon for Aerodactyl or Dragonite. Both can be good physical sweepers, and both resist Fighting and are immune to Ground. Aerodactyl would be more of a lead Poke, while Dragonite could be switched in. You still need to switch out Quilava for a bulky Water-type to make your team balanced, but apparently that won't happen. Just make sure that Gengar has Ice Punch or you are going to get rapped by Dragon Pokes.

Clobarr13

The voices won't stop! *twitch
    Years
    Fire.... Ahhh?!?

I have a question... In Fire Red, I'm split between having an Arcanine or a Flareon...
    The thing is, I'd have to train the Arcanine, as Flareon has been in my party for a while.
    Is it worth getting the Arcanine, or keeping the Flareon?
    (movesets if you can, please)

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Both are dreaded Fire-types, and both have bad movepools. That said, Arcanine is better balanced. Maybe DP will allow it to be stronger with better physical moves.

Arcanine @ Leftovers/Choice Band
    - Extremespeed
    - Fire Blast
    - Howl/Toxic
    - Iron Tail/Crunch

Clobarr13

Years
    I'd also like movesets for these please...
    Nidoking
    Politoed
    Snorlax

And, if I can't get silver wind for my Scizor, is it worth training?
    Sorry foir all the questions, but it helps

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Don't be sorry about questions, that is what this thread is for. Movesets in bold:
    I'd also like movesets for these please...
    Nidoking @ Choice Band
    - Earthquake
    - Megahorn
    - Rock Slide
    - Sludge Bomb

Politoed @ Leftovers
    - Hypnosis
    - Ice Beam
    - Surf
    - Toxic

Outclassed by Lapras and Milotic.

Snorlax @ Leftovers
    - Earthquake/Shadow Ball
    - Rest
    - Return/Body Slam
    - Sleep Talk

SB if you fear Levitating Ghosts. BS if you like parhax.

And, if I can't get silver wind for my Scizor, is it worth training?
    Sorry foir all the questions, but it helps
    You can get Silver Wind for Scizor, you simply breed a male Dustox/Beautifly that knows it (Lv34) with a female Scyther. Simple. Easy.

BTW - Silver Wind isn't absolutely necessary for Scizor. It just helps.

Clobarr13

Years
    Ok... cool
    I did pretty well considering Nidoking only needs to learn rock slide (had surf for it)
    and snorlax only needs shadow ball (was gonna teach to nidoking actually)
    As for Politoed, I was planning on teaching it ice beam...
    It knows waterfall, hypnosis, body slam, and strength (I know, it's a terrible phys. attacker) As for toxic, i taught it to my scizor, so any other suggestion?
    Lastly, I don't have another metal coat, so breeding is out of the question for scizor.
    (Unless a wild pokemon has it) Well anyway, could you help my scizor?
    It knows toxic, slash, swords dance, and (gasp) fury cutter
    If there's a way to get another metal coat, put a moveset using breeding also

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Toxic on Scizor????? What a shame.

Actually, if your Scizor is male, you can breed Toxic to Poliwag. You just need to breed male Scizor with female Surskit until you get a male Surskit baby with Toxic. Then breed male Surskit with female Poliwag. Baby Poliwag will be born with Toxic. If your Scizor is female, you can use male Dustox instead, which learns Toxic naturally at Lv38. Dustox > Surskit > Poliwag.

You can rarely (5%, iirc) find Metal Coat on wild Magnemite/Magneton.

Scizor @ Leftovers/Liechi Berry
    - Agility/Iron Defense
    - Baton Pass
    - Silver Wind
    - Swords Dance

Ninjask is better at this since its Ability can boost speed while it does SD.

Clobarr13

Years
    Here's another one... well, two
    First: What are some good electric types to have on my team?
    Two: Growlithe learns Flamethrower on 49; Arcanine learns extremespeed on level 49. If I let Growlithe learn flamethrower, can Arcanine still learn Extremespeed when I use the Fire Stone? (still on level 49)

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    First, Electric-types aren't that great to begin with. Don't feel the need to have a "type" on your team. You want Pokes with good stats (i.e. good physical attacker, good special wall, etc.). A Poke with an Electric move and a high base SAtk rating can be just as efective.

Second, you don't even need to worry about Flamethrower since you can buy one at the Game Corner. To answer your question though, yes you can get FT and then ES when you use the Fire Stone.

Clobarr13

Years
    Ok then...
    I have in my party:
    Nidoking, Arcanine (or Flareon), Snorlax, Scizor, Politoed (opt Crobat)(right now it's Zapdos)
    Any suggestions on a last poke? Or even some changes?
    I've heard of HM whores, but I like having the main three hm's at my disposal. (Fly, Strength, Surf) That's why I have Crobat or Zapdos. Crobat's cool, but I don't like having two poison pokemon on my team...

kintar

Celebi
    Years
    • Seen Jun 23, 2007
    I heard that pickup can get you good stuff like max elixirs and TMs. But all I'm getting is useless berries. Help?

Mudkip85

A.K.A ~KIPPER~
    Years
    Ok then...
    I have in my party:
    Nidoking, Arcanine (or Flareon), Snorlax, Scizor, Politoed (opt Crobat)(right now it's Zapdos)
    Any suggestions on a last poke? Or even some changes?
    I've heard of HM whores, but I like having the main three hm's at my disposal. (Fly, Strength, Surf) That's why I have Crobat or Zapdos. Crobat's cool, but I don't like having two poison pokemon on my team...

I have one suggesstion for you and it concerns your decision on having a Politoed in your team. I once tried having a politoed in my team and it simply just did not work because of its attack and defensive powers. Although i may not know much on stats i know that oppting to use either Milotic or Lapras offers a much better and stronger set of stats. As for example Milotics Special Defence is really high and can come in very useful. If you do decide to stick with Politoed however, only use it when battling AI not for battling against friends or others.

~Kipper~

Clobarr13

Years
    Meh... everyone knocks poor Politoed...
    I know where you're coming from, Mudkip85.
    In fact, it's the same direction as half of the people here.
    I'd rather have a team of my favorite pokemon than a team of super-uber death machines... lol
    Don't get me wrong, stats are important, I just like having teams of cool pokemon I like.
    (partially because I'm an old-school pkmn trainer, partial cause I'm OCD on using OU pokemon)
    No offense to anyone.

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
    I heard that pickup can get you good stuff like max elixirs and TMs. But all I'm getting is useless berries. Help?

Its all chance I belive. There's a percentage for each item appearing and it also depends on what level your pokemon is.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Meh... everyone knocks poor Politoed...
    I know where you're coming from, Mudkip85.
    In fact, it's the same direction as half of the people here.
    I'd rather have a team of my favorite pokemon than a team of super-uber death machines... lol
    Don't get me wrong, stats are important, I just like having teams of cool pokemon I like.
    (partially because I'm an old-school pkmn trainer, partial cause I'm OCD on using OU pokemon)
    No offense to anyone.
    You can pick whatever Pokes you want. It is your team. It still doesn't make Politoed a good Poke though. There are simply too many better options, but again you are the one that chooses. As long as you are only playing against the crappy AI, you will be fine. Just don't make the typical noobish mistake thinking that since your Politoed can tear through the in-game, that it would be good to use against other trainers. It will fail you and fail you miserably.

Its all chance I belive. There's a percentage for each item appearing and it also depends on what level your pokemon is.
    That only matters in Emerald. In FRLG/RS, you cannot get any TMs or Max Elixirs. Again, that is only in Emerald.

Law07

<--Kaboom-->
    Years
    Right in the Sevii Island 6 there is the battle tower right?

Okay so when you go north of the main town and your just about to go onto the beach and theres a random person standing there at the fence, you talk to her and she says something like "a legendary pokemon is waiting for you" or something weird like that...

What does it mean?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back