• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Simple Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paranoia

FC: 1375 3660 8982
Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    Yeah I Do Mean Once, But i dont know which store it is, from memory i think theres 2 shops on island 2 (correct me if im wrong) Ones a Man Standing Near The Boat Place who sells really cheap water, And The Others The Mart, Try Them, If Neither Work ill look for my FR and find out where they are

Years
  • This may seem a little stupid of a question but, I just got FireRed about an hour ago. I was wondering... can you get Pokemon other than the originial 151 in FireRed? Also, who should I save Masterball for? And please tell me anything a noob should know for FireRed.

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
  • This may seem a little stupid of a question but, I just got FireRed about an hour ago. I was wondering... can you get Pokemon other than the originial 151 in FireRed? Also, who should I save Masterball for? And please tell me anything a noob should know for FireRed.

Yes, you can get Pokemon that werent in the original R/B/Y, like Johto and Hoenn Pokemon.
    Save the Masterball for the legendary dog. The one you get depends on which starter you chose.

Charmander - Suicune
    Bulbasaur - Entei
    Squirtle - Raikou

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Here is a list of the Pokes that you CANNOT get in FireRed:

Azurill
    Bagon
    Baltoy
    Banette
    Barboach
    Bayleef
    Beautifly
    Beldum
    Bellsprout
    Blaziken
    Breloom
    Cacnea
    Cacturne
    Camerupt
    Carvanha
    Cascoon
    Castform
    Celebi
    Chikorita
    Chimecho
    Chinchou
    Clamperl
    Claydol
    Comusken
    Corphish
    Corsola
    Cradily
    Crawdaunt
    Croconaw
    Cyndaquil
    Delcatty
    Deoxys
    Dusclops
    Duskull
    Dustox
    Electrike
    Exploud
    Feebas
    Feraligatr
    Flaffy
    Flygon
    Forretress
    Gardevoir
    Girafarig
    Glalie
    Gligar
    Gorebyss
    Granbull
    Groudon
    Grovyle
    Grumpig
    Gulpin
    Hariyama
    Hoothoot
    Houndoom
    Houndour
    Huntail
    Illumise
    Jirachi
    Kecleon
    Kirlia
    Kyogre
    Lairon
    Lanturn
    Latias
    Latios
    Lileep
    Linoone
    Lombre
    Lotad
    Loudred
    Ludicolo
    Lunatone
    Luvdisc
    Magby
    Magmar
    Makuhita
    Manectric
    Mantine
    Mareep
    Marill
    Marshtomp
    Masquerian
    Mawille
    Medicham
    Meditite
    Meganium
    Metagross
    Metang
    Mew
    Mightyena
    Milotic
    Miltank
    Minun
    Misdreavus
    Mudkip
    Nincada
    Ninetales
    Ninjask
    Noctowl
    Nosepass
    Numel
    Nuzleaf
    Pelipper
    Pineco
    Pinsir
    Plusle
    Poochyena
    Quilava
    Ralts
    Rayquaza
    Regice
    Regirock
    Registeel
    Relicanth
    Remoraid
    Roselia
    Sableye
    Salamence
    Sandshrew
    Sandslash
    Sceptile
    Sealeo
    Seedot
    Seviper
    Sharpedo
    Shedinja
    Shelgon
    Shiftry
    Shroomish
    Shuckle
    Shuppet
    Silcoon
    Skitty
    Slaking
    Slakoth
    Slowbro
    Slowking
    Slowpoke
    Smeargle
    Sneasel
    Snorunt
    Snubbull
    Solrock
    Spheal
    Spinda
    Spoink
    Stantler
    Starmie
    Staryu
    Sudowoodo
    Sunflora
    Sunkern
    Surskit
    Swablu
    Swalot
    Swampert
    Swellow
    Taillow
    Teddiursa
    Torchic
    Torkoal
    Tododile
    Trapinch
    Treecko
    Tropius
    Typhlosion
    Ursaring
    Vibrava
    Vigoroth
    Volbeat
    Vulpix
    Wailmer
    Wailord
    Walrein
    Weepinbell
    Whiscash
    Whismur
    Wingull
    Wurmple
    Wynaut
    Zangoose
    Zigzagoon

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2008
    Does anyone have any tips to catching pokemon in the Safari Zone, cause some take along time to find and it sucks when they run.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    There is no trick to it. Throwing a rock makes the Poke easier to catch but increases the chance of running. Feeding it decreases the chance of running, but makes it harder to catch. Personally, I have always throw one rock. I have had a better catch rate that way, even with Ditto and Kangaskhan.

Samson

no, i don't know milk drink
    Years
  • yeah, throw one rock. you don't need to waste your time on something that would probably run away even if you fed it (kangaskhan *shakes fist*).

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2007
    Fire Red:
    Ekans > Arbok
    Oddish > Gloom > Vilaplume/Bellossom
    Psyduck > Golduck
    Growlithe > Arcanine
    Shellder > Cloyster
    Elekid > Electabuzz
    Scyther > Scizor
    Wooper > Quagsire
    Murkrow
    Quilfish
    Delibird
    Skarmory
    Attack Deoxys

Leaf Green:
    Sandshrew > Sandslash
    Vulpix > Ninetails
    Bellsprout > Weepinbell > Victreebel
    Slowpoke > Slowbro/Slowking
    Staryu > Starmie
    Magby > Magmar
    Pinsir
    Azurill > Marill > Azumarill
    Misdreavus
    Sneasel
    Remoraid > Octillery
    Mantine
    Defense Deoxys

I personally like Leaf Green better, what with Victreebel, Magmar, and Slowbro.

Siigari

NU Addict
    Years
  • Questions relating to rumors and hearsay

I have been playing Firered now for about 45 some odd hours, and I've been looking on the internet for some tips to help make the gameplay experience more fun (i.e., finding things that I really never knew existed.)

Here are a few questions I have then, after browsing the forums before signing up:

1) Can you get more than one master ball in any legit way whatsoever?
    2) Can you duplicate items in any legit way?
    3) Shiny pokemon - This may be a way over-asked question, but are they ANY better at all than their normal counterparts in fr/lg?
    4) I am trying to catch Raikou... does he ever not run away? I don't want to use my master ball for sake of having a master ball for a pokemon I feel I really could never get otherwise (such as a really nice shiny down the road.)
    5) EV hunting: Trying to power up pokemon for certain EVs is a tricky but fun thing to do, and I've figured out which a few pokemon give out mostly. Is it really as easy as looking to see what the top stat of any pokemon is, or is there a more complicated formula? Further, which are some really great pokemon to boost EVs that have already been found out?
    6) What does the guy in the Celadon mansion give you after you've completed your Pokedex?
    7) In the Sevii Islands, there is a house with a few boxes in front of a rear door (with the house having no rear door). When you click A in front of it, it says "There is a breeze blowing around these boxes." Is this a secret?
    8) Are Dragon pokemon (Dratini, Dragonair, Dragonite) really awesome? I know this is more of an opinion question, but with a weakness to only Ice and Dragon, does this make them a formidable and desirable type to have on your team?
    8b) Because when you evolve Dragonair into Dragonite and it becomes a pokemon that gains Flying type weaknesses, is it worthwhile to evolve?
    9) Because of question 8, with so few dragon moves, where can you find good dragon moves for your pokemon? Dragon Rage is only okay, Twister is really nice if you have a great sp atk, and Dragonbreath I have yet to discover.
    10) Time-wise, is it worth it to sit in front of the legendaries and Mewtwo to try and get a shiny version?
    11) Mew, Celebi and Deoxys.. Are there any events anywhere or any way I can get these Pokemon through any legit way (Other than trading)? It'd be nice to add them to my Pokedex.

These are just some questions that I've been pondering.

Thanks for any answers in advance.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    I have been playing Firered now for about 45 some odd hours, and I've been looking on the internet for some tips to help make the gameplay experience more fun (i.e., finding things that I really never knew existed.)

Here are a few questions I have then, after browsing the forums before signing up:

3) Shiny pokemon - This may be a way over-asked question, but are they ANY better at all than their normal counterparts in fr/lg?
    4) I am trying to catch Raikou... does he ever not run away? I don't want to use my master ball for sake of having a master ball for a pokemon I feel I really could never get otherwise (such as a really nice shiny down the road.)
    5) EV hunting: Trying to power up pokemon for certain EVs is a tricky but fun thing to do, and I've figured out which a few pokemon give out mostly. Is it really as easy as looking to see what the top stat of any pokemon is, or is there a more complicated formula? Further, which are some really great pokemon to boost EVs that have already been found out?
    6) What does the guy in the Celadon mansion give you after you've completed your Pokedex?
    7) In the Sevii Islands, there is a house with a few boxes in front of a rear door (with the house having no rear door). When you click A in front of it, it says "There is a breeze blowing around these boxes." Is this a secret?
    8) Are Dragon pokemon (Dratini, Dragonair, Dragonite) really awesome? I know this is more of an opinion question, but with a weakness to only Ice and Dragon, does this make them a formidable and desirable type to have on your team?
    8b) Because when you evolve Dragonair into Dragonite and it becomes a pokemon that gains Flying type weaknesses, is it worthwhile to evolve?
    9) Because of question 8, with so few dragon moves, where can you find good dragon moves for your pokemon? Dragon Rage is only okay, Twister is really nice if you have a great sp atk, and Dragonbreath I have yet to discover.
    10) Time-wise, is it worth it to sit in front of the legendaries and Mewtwo to try and get a shiny version?
    11) Mew, Celebi and Deoxys.. Are there any events anywhere or any way I can get these Pokemon through any legit way (Other than trading)? It'd be nice to add them to my Pokedex.

1. ......There's a lottery in GSC that gave you a Masterball if the ID of one of your Pokes matched theirs. I can't remember right now whether or not there's a variation of that in FR/LG.
    2. Not in FR/LG. There's a way in Emerald, but it's a glitch, so it's considered cheating.
    3. Other than being rarer, no.
    4. No, he always runs away. Actually, once they run away they apparently never show up again (according to shanecdavis--I always caught mine immediately).
    5. (Can't help you here)
    6. A certificate. In the GBC games you could use the Game Boy Printer to print it out, but...
    7. It's a removed feature. It was supposed to be for the E-Reader, but since it bombed the feature was removed (I'm pretty sure that's what it was...)
    8. ...
    8b. ...
    9. Dragon Claw--the best Dragon-type move out there, and available as a TM :)
    10. IMO, no (and it's resetting over and over again, not just sitting there :P)
    11. They were available through events a little while back...but not anymore, sadly.

Hope that helps!

Siigari

NU Addict
    Years
  • 1. ......There's a lottery in GSC that gave you a Masterball if the ID of one of your Pokes matched theirs. I can't remember right now whether or not there's a variation of that in FR/LG.
    2. Not in FR/LG. There's a way in Emerald, but it's a glitch, so it's considered cheating.
    3. Other than being rarer, no.
    4. No, he always runs away. Actually, once they run away they apparently never show up again (according to shanecdavis--I always caught mine immediately).
    5. (Can't help you here)
    6. A certificate. In the GBC games you could use the Game Boy Printer to print it out, but...
    7. It's a removed feature. It was supposed to be for the E-Reader, but since it bombed the feature was removed (I'm pretty sure that's what it was...)
    8. ...
    8b. ...
    9. Dragon Claw--the best Dragon-type move out there, and available as a TM :)
    10. IMO, no (and it's resetting over and over again, not just sitting there :P)
    11. They were available through events a little while back...but not anymore, sadly.

Hope that helps!

1) Ergh. :(
    2) So you can't dupe items via putting them in the nursery? I heard (I know that online "I FOUND A CHEAT!" sites aren't the most reliable, but let's end this now) that you can put an item in either of the parents and somehow it pops out another item on the newborn. Yes, no, maybe so?
    3) Thanks for the answer (darn it) :P
    4) I've encountered my Raikou 3 times now, and he's booked it instantly.
    5) Still looking for help!
    6) Booooorrrrriinnnnnggggggg
    7) Oh, whatever the e-reader is... (isn't that the thing to read game cards or whatever)?
    8) THANKS FOR THE ADVICE.
    8b) Now I'm just afraid we'll get in a fight someday and you'll have 6 Dragonairs :P
    9) But once again, I only get to use it once. Where can I at least find the TM? :(
    10) Okay, good call.
    11) :O How do you "catch" them then??

Finally

12) Where can I find information on all the base stats of all Pokémon (online, that is)

Last edited:

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Answers in bold:

No. The lottery is replicated in RSE, but not in FRLG. You can cheat to get more, but no one likes a cheater. You only need one Master Ball in the game anyway.

Ichapokemr answered this one very well.

Covered this one as well. Just want to add my opinion that shiny Pokes are nothing more than a complete and utter waste of one's time. Some love them for being "rare", I just laugh because usually having a shiny meant you had enough time to waste turning on/off your game about 8000 times in order to get one. That is a lot of doing nothing. To each their own though. Now, if you reset enough to get, say a Legendary Poke with a proper nature and perfect IVs in more than two stats, then THAT would be impressive.

The only Master Ball in the game should be reserved for your wandering legendary canine/feline. All the other Pokes in the game, including any one of a different color, will remain stationary. Ichapokemr was half right about them disappearing though. It isn't if they run though, but rather if they use Roar, and only Entei and Raikou have that. Now, I still haven't tried to test it myself to see if that it true, but I got the info from one I would term as a reliable source.

The top stat of a Poke has nothing to do with what EVs a Poke will pass on to you. They can be skewed by the wrong nature. In the Breeding section, there is a list of all Pokes and the EVs that each one will award your Poke(s). You can also find one online (www.smogon.com) or you can even download Metal Kid's offline program (https://metalkid.info). For the best natural Pokes in FRLG to gain EVs in each stat, they are as follows:

HP: Wooper (FR) or Marill (LG), Ruin Valley (Surf)
    Atk: Goldeen/Seaking/Gyarados (FR), Berry Forest (Super Rod) or Krabby/Kingler/Gyarados (LG), Bond Bridge (Super Rod)
    Def: Tangela, Route 21
    SAtk: Psyduck/Golduck (FR), Cerulean Cave B1 (Surf) or Gastly/Haunter (LG), Pokemon Tower 7F
    SDef: Hoppip/Tentacool/Tentacruel, Memorial Pillar (Surf)
    Spd: Diglett/Dugtrio, Diglett's Cave

Ichapokemr covered.

Yes, it is the eReader and yes they were a horrible idea and thankfully scrapped.

Dragonite is awesome, Dragonair and Dratini are not.

Dragonite gets a 4x to Ice and an added Rock weakness, but it still has a resistance to Fire and Water, gains additional resistance to Bug and Fighting, and has a very good immunity to Ground. If you think it is worthwhile to evolve, let's just compare base stats, shall we?

Dragonair: 61 HP / 84 Atk / 65 Def / 70 Spd / 70 SAtk / 70 SDef
    Dragonite: 91 HP / 134 Atk / 95 Def / 80 Spd / 100 SAtk / 100 SDef

Not much of a comparison afterall.

As Ichapokemr said, Dragon Claw is the ONLY Dragon move to use. The rest are complete crap and should be avoided. That said, Dragon-types are better physical attackers than than special attackers so you should use physical attacks anyway and save that Dragon Claw TM for Lati@s, that would actually benefit from it.

That all depends on how you value your free time, I guess. To me, taking time to get a Legendary with a good nature and good IVs is worth it. Taking time to get a Legendary that is a different color, but is a horrible nature (i.e. Adamant Kyogre) and has bad IVs (i.e. Adamant Kyogre with 2 SAtk IV), is definitely NOT.

As Ichapokemr said, there are no more events. You are left to either flying your GBA and cart to New York to get them, paying for them from someone on eBay, or finding a nice friend in the cyberworld that you can mail your cart to and have them trade and mail it back to you.

A few more answers in bold:
    1) Ergh. :(
    2) So you can't dupe items via putting them in the nursery? I heard (I know that online "I FOUND A CHEAT!" sites aren't the most reliable, but let's end this now) that you can put an item in either of the parents and somehow it pops out another item on the newborn. Yes, no, maybe so?

Still lolling at the nursery cheat. No, it doesn't work. Just one of many stupid and untrue rumors.

3) Thanks for the answer (darn it) :P
    4) I've encountered my Raikou 3 times now, and he's booked it instantly.
    5) Still looking for help!
    6) Booooorrrrriinnnnnggggggg
    7) Oh, whatever the e-reader is... (isn't that the thing to read game cards or whatever)?
    8) THANKS FOR THE ADVICE.
    8b) Now I'm just afraid we'll get in a fight someday and you'll have 6 Dragonairs :P
    9) But once again, I only get to use it once. Where can I at least find the TM? :(

Dragon Claw can be gotten when you enter Victory Road. It is to the right where there are two item balls and one rock, move the rock to the left to free a path to the top ball and you got it.

10) Okay, good call.
    11) :O How do you "catch" them then??

Covered above.

Finally

12) Where can I find information on all the base stats of all Pokémon (online, that is)
    https://www.smogon.com (online) or https://metalkid.info (offline)

Years
  • The dogs don't run away forever. I've seen Raikou about 17 times now, but stupid me used the master ball on Mewtwo cause I ran out of Ultra Balls before I caught him...stupid....

Paranoia

FC: 1375 3660 8982
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    The dog always runs, but what i did was catch 2 golbats, one lvl 40 and one lvl 50, both with mean look, which makes it impossible for it to run away.I got 2 so that i can chuck a repel on and walk through the grass with my lvl 40 golbat then switch out to lvl 50 if its having trouble. (I also maxed the Golbat's speed EVs so they would attack first) which let me get it in a pokeball! (i have 999 lol)

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    As I said before, it isn't about them running away. It is when Entei or Raikou use Roar. That is when they will never come back. I was told that after they use Roar, you cannot even track them on the Pokedex. Again, I have yet to test this myself, but I believe my source to be an incredibly reliable one.

Siigari

NU Addict
    Years
  • shane and Ichapokemr, you have both been a good source of information.

Now.. let's analyze Dragons more closely.

With what shane said:

[quote="shanecdavis]Dragonite gets a 4x to Ice and an added Rock weakness, but it still has a resistance to Fire and Water, gains additional resistance to Bug and Fighting, and has a very good immunity to Ground. If you think it is worthwhile to evolve, let's just compare base stats, shall we?

Dragonair: 61 HP / 84 Atk / 65 Def / 70 Spd / 70 SAtk / 70 SDef
    Dragonite: 91 HP / 134 Atk / 95 Def / 80 Spd / 100 SAtk / 100 SDef

Not much of a comparison afterall.[/quote]

Let's look at this:

With Dragonair's base stats being considerably lower, keep in mind that you will likely go up against a very strong Ice user with high SAtk. Because of this, having a 4x to Ice would be undesirable, from what I understand. The added resistance from Ground, Bug and Fighting though is very nice. How often though do you find a bug move that actually poses a threat? From what I know, there's only one GOOD bug move and I forget what it is right now. Fighting is nice to have resistance to, but with dragons having a nice base Def and SDef stat, you could go either way.

Let me tell you so far what I've done with my now level 56 Dragonair (I have a lot of breeding and work to do.)

Dragonair lv. 56 (male):

Quiet Nature
    Met @ lv 15 in Safari Zone as Dratini

HP: 136
    Atk: 122
    Def: 92
    SAtk: 133
    SDef: 99
    Spd: 99

Ability: Shed Skin

Moveset:

Twister
    Outrage
    Thunder Wave
    Waterfall

--------

Eventually I'll replace Waterfall with a fire move of some type, I imagine, as it would be great vs. an Ice type, and having high SAtk gives me the upper hand on Dragon moves as well. I'm working on this specific one to be an anti-dragon/anti-ice machine, and so far it's doing so-so, but there are some certain improvements I could make. (such as evolving it, lol.)

I've been playing Pokemon Stadium 2 (Don't own Colosseum) and have been looking at that as a reference for stats. Dragonite has WAY HIGHER base stats than Dragonair, but so far I've just kept it as Dragon only. With so few Dragon Pokemon, I'm trying to find a good balance.

So, I guess in conclusion here, I'm sort of befuddling myself and backing into a wall. Dragon type = good, Dragon type + Flying type = good.. but better... only because the only two real Dragon-only types suck.

argh frustration!

Okay, okay.. so here's one final question. You know Carbos and Zinc and all that... can I only use a fixed number of base stat boosters on Pokemon now.. instead of the 10 of EACH I could use back in RBY?

Thanks again, this is a good discussion.

edit: I just took a look at Smogon's website... yeesh. Dragonite is undoubtedly better than Dragonair. But, with this one possessing Quiet Nature, I think I'll stick with this as a SAtk for now, and work up a new one to Dragonite.

-sigh-

The pains of learning something you love sucks is the pits.

Last edited:

Drifblim

Banned
    Years
  • As I said before, it isn't about them running away. It is when Entei or Raikou use Roar. That is when they will never come back. I was told that after they use Roar, you cannot even track them on the Pokedex. Again, I have yet to test this myself, but I believe my source to be an incredibly reliable one.
    It didn't work that way in Gold, Silver, and Crystal, and I highly doubt it works in Fire Red or Leaf Green. Nintendo wouldn't be that cruel.

Samson

no, i don't know milk drink
    Years
  • The dog always runs, but what i did was catch 2 golbats, one lvl 40 and one lvl 50, both with mean look, which makes it impossible for it to run away.I got 2 so that i can chuck a repel on and walk through the grass with my lvl 40 golbat then switch out to lvl 50 if its having trouble. (I also maxed the Golbat's speed EVs so they would attack first) which let me get it in a pokeball! (i have 999 lol)

yes, when they use roar, i think they don't every reappear. i'm sure roar overrides mean look. but look at the positive side, if you raise one of your golbats to like you, it will evolve into an awesome crobat XD

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back