• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Simple Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
    Don't throw bait. Either throw ONE rock or just chuck Safari Balls. Catching the rare Pokes like Chansey are totally based on luck. There is no skill involved. Either the Safari Gods smile on you and allow Chansey to stay in the ball, or they let it escape only to snicker at you in the safety of the tall grass.

You're not kidding. Throughout all the years I've been playing these bloody games (which is since they first came out, Red and Blue - you do the math), I have only ever caught Chansey TWICE. I've caught more Mewtwos than Chanseys. My first was in the originals, before school one morning... I was thrilled! And the second was but a few months ago in Leaf Green. I transfered it to Emerald and bred it blue.

I think Chansey is by far the rarest in-game-non-legendary (that's a mouthful) in the Pokemon games. And when you DO catch one, man oh man does it feel good. :-D

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
    You're not kidding. Throughout all the years I've been playing these bloody games (which is since they first came out, Red and Blue - you do the math), I have only ever caught Chansey TWICE. I've caught more Mewtwos than Chanseys. My first was in the originals, before school one morning... I was thrilled! And the second was but a few months ago in Leaf Green. I transfered it to Emerald and bred it blue.

I think Chansey is by far the rarest in-game-non-legendary (that's a mouthful) in the Pokemon games. And when you DO catch one, man oh man does it feel good. :-D

Yeah, it took me forever, but thanks to you guys I caught one about 10 minutes ago. But I have another question... why is it not letting me trade with my Emerald Version?

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    One of two things. Either you don't have the National Pokedex in your FRLG version, or you do but don't have the NP on your Emerald version.

Game Freak decided to be royal retards and prevent us from being able to trade non-region Pokes from one game to another. In FRLG, you cannot trade Johto or Hoenn Pokes until you have completed the sidestory that includes getting a Ruby and Sapphire gem for Celio to complete the Network Machine that allows you to trade with people "far away". In Emerald, it isn't that bad. You just need to go visit my esteemed, albeit less intelligent, colleague Prof. Birch after you have defeated the Weak Five and he will reward you with the NP.

Ruby and Sapphire don't have that restriction, but they aren't nearly as good as Emerald or FRLG.

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
    One of two things. Either you don't have the National Pokedex in your FRLG version, or you do but don't have the NP on your Emerald version.

Game Freak decided to be royal retards and prevent us from being able to trade non-region Pokes from one game to another. In FRLG, you cannot trade Johto or Hoenn Pokes until you have completed the sidestory that includes getting a Ruby and Sapphire gem for Celio to complete the Network Machine that allows you to trade with people "far away". In Emerald, it isn't that bad. You just need to go visit my esteemed, albeit less intelligent, colleague Prof. Birch after you have defeated the Weak Five and he will reward you with the NP.

Ruby and Sapphire don't have that restriction, but they aren't nearly as good as Emerald or FRLG.

So I guess I'd have to have the National dex in FR and Emerald? I already have it in Emerald. And one more thing (sorry), if I was to trade to Sapphire/Ruby would I still need the National Dex in FR?

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
    Game Freak decided to be royal retards and prevent us from being able to trade non-region Pokes from one game to another. In FRLG, you cannot trade Johto or Hoenn Pokes until you have completed the sidestory that includes getting a Ruby and Sapphire gem for Celio to complete the Network Machine that allows you to trade with people "far away".

One thing I've always been curious about: does that restriction hold true when dealing with trade-evolutions? For example, let's say you have FR and LG, but you don't have the NP in either. You've gone far enough to get the Metal Coat in one of them, and you have an Onix. If you trade the Onix with the Metal Coat to the other (that also lacks the NP), will the evolution just not happen, or will the Onix evolve and Steelix's data wouldn't be registered? I've yet to try this, but I'm curious as a cat.

Years
    Unfortunately, I am not that far with my pidgey. I don't know how I managed to beat him in the past (on Nugget Bridge) but I did. I guess I'll just work on using Pidgey and hope it'll be able to learn enough to beat vine whip attacks.

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
    Unfortunately, I am not that far with my pidgey. I don't know how I managed to beat him in the past (on Nugget Bridge) but I did. I guess I'll just work on using Pidgey and hope it'll be able to learn enough to beat vine whip attacks.

If you can pick up a Spearow, it has Peck already learned.

Also, depending on where you are (assuming Vermilion), go to the far right and catch a Drowzee. He will have Confusion already learned, and since Bulbasaur/Ivysaur are dual Grass/Poison types, Psychic attacks will also be super effective, and STABed from Drowzee.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    So I guess I'd have to have the National dex in FR and Emerald? I already have it in Emerald. And one more thing (sorry), if I was to trade to Sapphire/Ruby would I still need the National Dex in FR?
    Yes, you still need the NP in order to trade to RS.

One thing I've always been curious about: does that restriction hold true when dealing with trade-evolutions? For example, let's say you have FR and LG, but you don't have the NP in either. You've gone far enough to get the Metal Coat in one of them, and you have an Onix. If you trade the Onix with the Metal Coat to the other (that also lacks the NP), will the evolution just not happen, or will the Onix evolve and Steelix's data wouldn't be registered? I've yet to try this, but I'm curious as a cat.
    I know it prevents Pokes from evolving (i.e. Chansey, Golbat), but I haven't tried trading. I would assume that it won't allow the trade. My middle son just started my FR cart over so I will try it and let you know.

Is there anyway to beat the Bulbusaur's Vine Whip attack? (When your rival has one)?
    Vine Whip isn't an attack you need to worry about. At 35 Attack Power, it is one of the weakest Grass moves in the game. All you need is a Poke that isn't Ground, Rock, or Water and you will be fine. As others have said, getting a Flying (or Bug/Dragon/Fire/Grass/Poison) Poke will definitely. Grass Pokes really shouldn't be feared as there are plenty of counters in the game for them.

What is the mod shop code because I never heard of it.
    You won't get much help on cheating here. I would point you to the stickied Code Thread for all the cheaters at the top of the page.

As graceofbaal mentioned, get rid of the crappy Pidgey and get Spearow instead. Fearow is far better Normal/Flying-type than Pidgeot, although it also pales in comparison to the ultimate Normal-Flying-type - Dodrio.

Siigari

NU Addict
    Years
    Success rate of various balls?

What are the success rates of the various balls? Especially the Luxury Ball? I'm trying to get a few various catches going with differing balls for variety.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Here you go:

Poke Ball: Unknown success rate
    Premier Ball: same rate as Poke Ball
    Great Ball: 1.5x success rate of Poke Ball
    Ultra Ball: 2.0x success rate of Poke Ball
    Net Ball: 3.0x success rate of Poke Ball on Water and Bug Pokes and same rate as Poke Ball for all other types
    Nest Ball: Rate of success is (your level - enemy level)/10, to a maximum of 4.0x
    Timer Ball: Rate of success is (rounds passed)/10, to a maximim of 3.5x
    Luxury Ball: same rate as Poke Ball (Pokes caught in a Luxury Ball gains happiness faster than normal)
    Master Ball: 100% success rate with no modifiers

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    You actually get Togepi in the form of an egg. It is in the Water Labyrinth that is west of Five Island. Make sure that you have an extra spot in your party for the egg and remember that the old man won't give it to you unless your lead Poke has max Happiness.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    I think Chansey is by far the rarest in-game-non-legendary (that's a mouthful) in the Pokemon games.

It falls to Feebas.

shanecdavis said:
    I know it prevents Pokes from evolving (i.e. Chansey, Golbat), but I haven't tried trading. I would assume that it won't allow the trade. My middle son just started my FR cart over so I will try it and let you know.

The trade goes through. It just doesn't evolve.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Ahhhh, that's right. Simple. Thanks.

Feebas is rarest Poke in the game. Chansey is the hardest to catch in the game.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    Ahhhh, that's right. Simple. Thanks.

Feebas is rarest Poke in the game. Chansey is the hardest to catch in the game.

Exactly, and that's what I was talking about.

graceofbaal said:
    I think Chansey is by far the [S-HIGHLIGHT]rarest[/S-HIGHLIGHT] in-game-non-legendary

And I actually got that answer from YOU, so......

Paranoia

FC: 1375 3660 8982
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    Where is Chansey? Is she only in the Safari Zone, or can you catch her at Cerulean Cave, like in R/B/Y?

And if she is only in the Safari Zone, can you still get the elusive item, Lucky Egg, From her?

Years
    I can't seem to find a Krabby in Fire Red. All I seem to get are Horsea & Tenacool, and then the occasional Goldeen and Poliwag. Is there any guarantee or does Krabby not appear that much (like only 5%?). Thankies!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back