• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Small Writing Competition!

Years
  • As a judge, Astinus cannot legally lose his objectivity. And to be honest, you're sounding like an ass assuming he would anyway. <_<.

All creative competitions are subjective, by definition. There are no wrong or right answers. It's not multiple-choice. It's not objective, nor should it be. All subjective decisions are subconsciously influenced, to some degree, by related outside factors. Sorry if I "sound like an ass" for acknowledging that I've done badly for myself there.

Have I been knocked about enough today, or is there more?

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
  • All creative competitions are subjective, by definition. There are no wrong or right answers. It's not multiple-choice. It's not objective, nor should it be. All subjective decisions are subconsciously influenced, to some degree, by related outside factors. Sorry if I "sound like an ass" for acknowledging that I've done badly for myself there.

Have I been knocked about enough today, or is there more?
    This isn't about you. We in FF&W hold Astinus in high esteem as a mod and judge of integrity, so we don't appreciate people implying that a little kerfuffle like this is going to affect his judging in any noticeable way. That's all. If you want to quit being "knocked around," then stop making at least one provocative statement per post! Really, just drop the whole thing and the knocking around will cease.

Back to the topic at hand, I can't say I'm not excited about the news of the judging being almost over. I think Asty likes making us all squirm in anticipation. :D

Townes

Gentlemanly Hazard...
    Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2011
    I think I should jump in a cyber-hole for the next few days -.-
    Oh well. My work was one of sleep-deprivation and rushed-ness. Good luck to all the participants, and thank you to all the mods for your time and thoroughness in organizing and judging the contest.

And Nemesis, I really don't think you're being knocked about. We're all entitled to an opinion as you say, but the thing about freedom of speech is that it must be used responsibly. And I really don't think that any of the judges are biased enough to penalize you for arguing. So don't take it to heart- you'll be judged on the quality of your work.

Years
  • This is just to let you know, that I've read your replies, I don't necessarily agree with all points made, and I don't necessarily disagree with all points made. Since I haven't been told off for things I didn't do this time, I don't have to respond and it's generally wiser not to, but I wanted you to know that yes, I know and this time fully respect what people are saying, rather than remaining silent and leaving you to think I'm in denial or... something. And if I just say "sorry" it might sound as if I'm not actually sorry, or... something.

I should not have speculated on my chances in the contest in context of this... rather stupid argument. The reason I did was because at the time (and I'm not saying it's a good reason - I just want you to understand), I felt as if whatever I said was going to inadvertently put someone's nose out of joint regardless of my intention (several peoples' noses, really), so the response I was currently making, I thought, was definitely going to do that even more because there were many more words to possibly take offence to - regardless of how I tried to arrange my wording to make a defence without being simultaneously offensive. I know it's not totally logical, it's just how I felt at the time. In my mind, Astinus, among others, had me as a rather nasty piece of work, an arrogant trolling hypocritical philistine bent on mocking other peoples' work and being generally rude. That's just what it felt like, I'm sorry. I made the mistake of stating, out loud, that I thought I'd therefore ruined my chances of doing well in the contest. When all's said and done, arrogant trolling hypocritical philistines just generally don't do well in creative contests (they really don't), and everything I said just seemed to add another adjective onto the front of that train-wreck of supposed character flaws.

And ironically enough, nobody did take offence to my actual argument, but to my suggestion (very well, outright statement) that I had caused damage to my chances of placing well in the contest. At that point I simultaneously thought "Argh, how stupid am I?", and "I have to assert that I am not challenging the honesty of judges here, regardless of the actual sincerity of my initial comment".

My comment that I had wrecked my chances in this contest was not entirely sincere, but I knew (thought?) that "I didn't really mean it as much as it seems", is generally worse than "I was not accusing people of dishonesty". Yes, I shouldn't have said it if it wasn't totally sincere. I know that, and I wish I hadn't.

So there you go. In short, I had a very bad evening, I wasn't thinking entirely straight, I said something I didn't mean, and I consider it all to be something of a disaster. Sorry.

On topic: (this cover-all-bases facade is getting to be the worst part of whatever I have to say, it seems) I... like... writing competitions? I hope the winner won, and will get something nice.

Last edited:

Townes

Gentlemanly Hazard...
    Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2011
    An apology is a grand thing indeed. Now then, I hope the feeling is mutual between everyone here that we should leave the past where it belongs, behind us, and walk on forwards to the long awaited results and awarding of prizes, hm?

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
    Years
  • I've got a feeling that today will be the big day! lol
    idk, it would be nice though; I wonder how many pages each judge had to read!!!

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • The results!

Well you are correct - today is the day!

The scores are posted in order from lowest to highest grand total score. Included is the scoring layout for each judge and comments by myself for each one because I, uh, had a lot of free time before uni started for myself so I did it all pretty quickly, and the judging would have taken longer if the other judges did comments as well with their scoring. (After all 21 entries is a crazy amount). Hopefully those are of benefit for you! Note they were written before seeing the other scores.

As a reminder, scoring for each category is out of 10 so each judge's score is out of a total of 30, so the grand total is out of 90. Emblems will be given when they are uploaded by the higher ups and all.

And please do post your entries in the FF&W section! Keeping some of these out of sight of the rest of the forum would be a crime. =p

21st: LightOfTruth

Title: The tales of the cast aside
    Grand total: 34

Score Breakdown + Comments:
    Spoiler:

20th: Tomandgreen

Title: Nice Weather We're Having
    Grand total: 48

Spoiler:

19th: -ty-

Title: Chained Hearts
    Grand total: 53

Spoiler:

18th: RedDragonSilver

Title: Blasting Off from being Cast Aside
    Grand total: 56

Spoiler:

17th: Destiny Demon

Title: Unneeded
    Grand total: 65

Spoiler:

16th: moonlightning

Grand total: 66

Spoiler:

15th: Alley Cat

Title: Shades of Gray
    Grand total: 68

Spoiler:

14th: Elite Overlord LeSabre™

Title: A Champion's Revenge
    Grand total: 69

Spoiler:

Equal 12th: Scarf

Grand total: 70

Spoiler:

Equal 12th: Daydream

Title: Cast Aside
    Grand total: 70

Spoiler:

Equal 10th: ElectricScyther

Title: Banished
    Grand total: 71

Spoiler:

Equal 10th: Shining Raichu

Title: Day One
    Grand total: 71

Spoiler:

9th: Mizan de la Plume Kuro

Title: Havisham
    Grand total: 73

Spoiler:

8th: [Imaginative]:[Clockwork]

Title: If We Walk, It'll Last Longer
    Grand total: 74

Spoiler:

Equal 6th: Pheonix987

Grand total: 76

Spoiler:

Equal 6th: IanDonyer

Title: Phasmophobia
    Grand total: 76

Spoiler:

5th: Mira

Grand total: 77

Spoiler:

4th: Townes

Grand total: 78

Spoiler:

And for the top three (sorry but only the top two get special emblems):

3rd: Cutlerine

Title: The Beastman
    Grand total: 79

Spoiler:

2nd: (=Nemesis=)

Grand total: 83

Spoiler:

And the winner!

1st: icomeanon6

Title: Left by the Roadside
    Grand total: 87

Spoiler:

Congrats to the winners and also congrats to all those who entered! Overall the entries were of a quite high standard I thought and it was quite enjoyable reading them. Once again, emblems will be given when they are uploaded and all and please post your stories in the FF&W section!

Years
  • I can definitely agree with the criticisms of my own piece, but I think people ought to avoid the comments if they don't want spoilers. (no, honestly)

I'll be posting my entry here if that's OK?

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Yes, ideally people should just look at their own comments if they want to read the others, hence the double spoilers for each set of comments. That'd likely be the case for most entries after all.

And if you mean posting your entry in this thread then I'd suggest against it because in a few days it'll be closed and this forum section hidden from the public, so you'd definately want to post it in the Fan Fiction and Writing section instead imo. Unless you want to do so in both but I don't seee much reason for that. *shrug*

Years
  • I was thinking of sticking it in a blog, personally, I need to put something in it. I just thought contestants might like seeing each others' entries very very quickly.

Looking through that list of names to find mine made me think of Top Gear's hot lap. "It's faster than the Gallardo... faster than the McLaren... faster..."

Right, here's my entry; I may or may not correct the bits I was marked down on at some point, but what's here is untouched.

Spoiler:

Townes

Gentlemanly Hazard...
    Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2011
    4th out of 21? That's more than good enough for me! And some of these other ones are really good... Well then, until next year, folks!

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
  • Well, this is unexpected. O_O I'm not really sure what to say.

I guess thanks to the judges for all of their hard work, and I'd like to say congrats and good game to (=Nemesis=). *offers internet handshake*

And congrats to everyone; it looks like some really good stories came out of this competition, so get posting! :D

Bay

Years
  • Thanks bobandbill for adding all of our scores up! LOL I realized your scores and mine are close to one another while some of Astinus's scores are a few points higher/lower than ours. Just saying. XD

Anyways, congrats to icomeanon6, (=Nemesis=), and Cutlerine for being in the top three! And everyone else, great work all! Indeed, I too enjoy reading all the entries and many of them are great quality. Looking forward to seeing the stories posted in the fanfic section!

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
    Years
  • Joint 12th out of 21? I can live with that. Especially considering the talented writers we have at PC. And the competition actually seems to have been really close, looking at the points awarded.

I'm now looking forward to see what the other entries are like.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
    Years
  • haha, I guess I sucked. This is my first time writing a PC story. I am the only one that had a script; I guess next time I should just write it as more of a narrative.

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • Hey, I wasn't last place at least.

Congrats to all the winners and such~
    If I knew I had more time when the Get-Together was extended I would have written more. Oh well.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years

Wow, mine sucks the big one... then again, I suppose that's what I get for trying to whip something up the day it's due... at 4:00 in the morning... and only taking two hours on it (ask my old high school English teacher what happens when you attempt to do that). Is it too late to issue a strategic withdrawal of my entry xD?

In any event, congrats to the winners. Just don't expect any more fiction from me (unless we get a really awesome prompt like "Quality Inn" or something, lol. That's a topic I would have no problems at all writing about :P)

Pheonix987

Nyan, nyan, myancology...
    Years
  • *high-fives IanDoyer* Sixth place! :) Take that, Sid! I was right!

I reread the fic and I teared up. I hate how I can't seem to write anything that isn't 2D/-ish. I'm going to have to squeeze that out of me until I can write with 100%.

But then...I'd have to write to do that, eh? *snickers*

Last edited:
    Back