• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Snivy, Oshawott, or Tepig?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    In fifth-generation games, including both BW and BW2, selection of our starter Pokémon ranged from Snivy, Oshawott, and Tepig. Of them all, which did you like most? Competitively, which did you find to be most helpful? In terms of design, which do you say you dislike, and why? If you were to change anything of them, what would it be? Would you like to see mega-evolutions for these Pokémon in future? If so, how do you expect them to turn out?

Years
  • My starter of choice in my 5th Gen games would be pretty obvious if one doesn't know it already... but yes I'm always on Team Oshawott here. I also like how the little otter and its evolutions are the most balanced of the Unova starters - Snivy's line are speedy with good defenses but they are weak attackers, Tepig's line are hard-hitters but they're on the slow and defensively frail side, but Oshawott's line is right there in the middle as the one with the most balanced stats of the trio.

And of course I think Oshy has the best design concept of the three, that samurai theme really makes him awesome and even moreso given they use their shells as weapons.

Years
  • Compared to past starters (and even the Kalos ones), the Unova ones are among my least faves. The only one I really like is Snivy due to it and its evos.' designs, typing, HA, shiny color palettes and movepool. I also found Serperior to be the best of the bunch competitively speaking, with access to Contrary + Leaf Storm, Leech Seed for health sapping, and Dragon Pulse to deal with Dragons.

Tepig I might've liked more if its evos. weren't Fire/Fighting and had better designs. It's a cute pig, but making its evos. part Fighting felt like a bad move, and Pignite's design isn't that good. iirc in Blaze Black and its variants Emboar is Fire/Ground, so if that could apply to it in the actual games, then i'd like it more. (Would also like Pignite to have a better design, but since I usually fully evolve my starters it doesn't really matter.) As for Oshawott, I like its and Samurott's designs, but that's about it. I'd like to add another typing to them, though I really dunno what would work. Maybe Steel, but then it'd nearly be Gen. IV all over again.

If these guys got Mega Evos., I can see Serperior being Grass/Dragon just like Sceptile, but I can't imagine how the other two would turn out.

isthatyoudan

doesn't work well with others...
    Years
  • I'm one of those appearance-driven gamers when it comes to starters. I normally like oshawott the most because of its appearance. So it's weird that I chose tepig in the game. It just had something that I liked about it.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    When I first started off Black, I chose Tepig, if I remember correctly. I'm not sure why, but every time I start playing a new Pokémon game, I always have tendency to go along with the fire starter. Was pretty satisfied with it, to be honest; its attacks were quite powerful, and was able to take down plenty of opposing Pokémon without any trouble. Only thing I was disappointed by was Emboar's design; to me, it just didn't look that great, sadly. In White, I picked Snivy, just to see how it'd feel to play with some grass-type Pokémon (been a while since the last time I selected any grass starter). In Black 2, I went with Oshawott.

Years
  • In my first play of White, I picked Tepig, and it did me fairly good for what it had. But when I played White 2 for the first time I chose Oshawott and it served me well also. In my most recent challenge that I did on White 2 I had Snivy, and it did become a Serperior and live to the end, even if it didn't get much action against the Elite Four at all.

I like the Unova starters as far as in-game usability goes, even Emboar which I tend to feel sorry for because of all the hate it gets. I really like Serperior's design in particular and Samurott has always looked cool to me for that matter.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • Every time I played a 5th generation game (not counting if I played a specific challenge) I always chose Oshy, it's my #1 favorite starter of all times (so far still is) - main reason its based on a cute looking sea-otter - & - evolves to even cuter looking Dewott...

along the way I learn to like it in battles, and using it's scalchop for battle (Razor Shell), being water type I also use it for surf.

Dislike? - didn't dislike any this gen (one of my B2 games I used all 3 in the same team) - chosed/used Oshawott more because it's more cuter.
    Changing them? nothing - other than making Oshy be introduced in the 1st gen rather than the 5th gen.

Mega-Evolution? - all 3 should have them, than I would use Samurott a lot more, many times I try not to evolve my Dewott.

Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2023
    Oshawott. So cute <3

Seriously though it's adorable. I want to hug it soo bad! Also mentioning that it evolves into the most badass Pokémon ever. Dewott. Just look at those guts in-game. You know you don't want to deal with it. The only problem I have is that Samurott doesn't have a second typing. They could of have easily given him Ice Type. But then he is a otter, lol

I don't really dislike any of them. Tepig and Snivy are still really good starters. And yes, if they did get Mega Evolutions, I can see him getting bigger shells and 2 giant swords. Maybe standing on 2 legs?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2020
    My personal favorite of the three is Tepig, but the one I've used most often is Oshawott, just because there aren't a lot of solid choices for Water types in BW, so I usually go with Oshawott when I replay one of them.

I just like the Tepig line. It's got solid, if not stellar, stats and a decent enough movepool, with pretty much everything it needs to fulfill its role. And I couldn't care less how many starters have been Fire/Fighting, so that doesn't make any difference to me.

Oshawott is pretty solid all in all, and is arguably the best Water available in BW. I rarely use it in BW2 though, since there are so many better ones available. It's got pretty good stats, though its movepool leaves a bit to be desired.

I've never actually had Serperior on my final team in any of the games. In fact, I have one game in which I didn't even evolve it to Serperior. It's unfortunate, because Grass is probably my favorite type, but I just don't care for the Snivy line at all. They look good, but they can't contribute anything really useful to a team, particularly with all the other really good Grass types in the Unova dex.

Years
  • Oshawott is my favorite of the three, he's just so darn cute. When I first got Black and White I couldn't decide between the otter and Snivy. Tepig, unfortunately, was out of the question. At first glance, it was an adorable Pokemon with promise, but Emboar really ruined any chance of me picking the fire-type in Unova. I ended up going with Oshawott in Black, and then when White 2 rolled around, I got to try out Snivy. After playing the game with both, I feel like it was easier to progress with Oshawott, but Snivy did come in handy for taking hits; not really a great offensive Pokemon.

Years
  • Im more of an Oshawott kind of girl. I really like its evolutions plus Oshawott is really cute.
    Not to mention one of my favorite pokemon. I didnt really have much of an interest in Tepig and Snivy

Years
  • In Pokemon Black I chose Oshawott then in Pokemon White 2 I chose Snivy with Not having much love for Tepig due to it having the Fire/Fighting typing personally that typing got boring with Tepig.
    Blaziken & Infernape had the speed while Emboar lacks it mind you with Trick room it can be good and I've used Emboar in Blaze Black before

Years
    • Seen Dec 7, 2014
    I Personally always pick Tepig since it's the outcast of the starters. I just love me some Tepigs ^_^ & Emboar is a badass design even though it gets a lot of hate

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    Tepid for days, lemme tell ya. I know it's another Fire/Fighting line, but I just love them all. Great HP, great Attack, and really cool moves. I love Heat Crash and Head Smash for them, and the fact that they're the only non-water type line that can learn Scald is amazing to me. <3

Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2021
    Snivy all the way for me. From the moment it was revealed back in May 2010 I was in love with its design.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Design wise, I think Tepig was the best. It's entire evolution line, besides being Fire/Fighting, was really well conceived. That said, when it comes to my personal preference, I'm more inclined to choose Snivy. Just the way it was presented in the anime was so cute and I feel in love with the little guy. :)

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
    Years
  • Tepic helped me the best in BW game, it was my first ever choice in BW

Braxien

Banned
    Years
  • I would have to choose Tepig, seeing as the little dude helped me through both Pokémon White and Pokémon White 2. When I first saw it, it was love at first sight. His future evolutions are extremely powerful so for me, Tepig was the dream.

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
    Years
  • I picked Snivy in my first play through becuase I liked its design. The memes spawning from snivy itself was further reason for me to pick it even tohugfh grass types are weak so so many things.

On ROM hacks like blaze black where hidden abilities are available, Contrary Snivy is actually a really good starter.

Back