• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen So Appalled

Harmonie

Winds ღ
Years
  • You know 'appalled' actually describes nicely how I feel about Leaf not getting proper representation.

I don't care for one second that Red was the original trainer from the original games, nor that it was only him in G/S/C. It's obvious that Gamefreak doesn't have any complaints about changing things from the original - I mean look at the fact that Crystal's female protagonist got replaced.

Overall, Crystal's female trainer getting replaced and Leaf not appearing ended up rubbing me in the very wrong way. I don't dislike Lyra or anything. It's just I get really annoyed by people arguing "They had to keep it only as Red as it was that way in G/S/C". They seem to have completely ignored the fact that the female protagonist - the one you play as, got COMPLETELY changed for HG/SS.

I don't like it. I don't like how they couldn't have implemented a simple (and subtle, of course) option of choosing who the champion in your HG/SS game would be, because Red wasn't alone in FR/LG and FR/LG were released many years before HG/SS. I can just see that epic moment that we all experienced at the end of G/S/C back in our day not being so epic for somebody who grew up with R/S/E and FR/LG - Somebody who Leaf, not Red, was their Indigo Plateau Champion.

I'd be more willing to accept that FR/LG and HG/SS exist in totally different parallel universes and have nothing to do with each other.

Yet FR/LG are connected to HG/SS via PalPark so we can't even say that. The Kanto in FR/LG IS the Kanto in HG/SS.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Yet FR/LG are connected to HG/SS via PalPark so we can't even say that. The Kanto in FR/LG IS the Kanto in HG/SS.
    I'd personally view that as more of a game mechanic allowing people to trade over Pokemon from previous gens rather than saying they are the exact one and the same, but that's me (not that it isn't arguably the case for other reasons, but via Pal Park I don't quite buy it - and who is to say Pal Park doesn't connect with 'other universes'?).

But that's probably getting off-topic now.
    Also a thing that kind of ticked me off a little bit was the Pokemon following you feature; it should have been an option other than getting on your bike.
    Yeah, although I liked it I can see the merit of having it optional.

Years
  • Several things I didn't like, with the first two being the most egregious faults.

*Red's team is still incredibly weak. Thunderstone, or better yet Jolteon or Ampharos would be helpful. So would only having one Water-type.
    *Leaf appears nowhere in game. No option to have her replace Red. Girl champions need love too...
    *Mt. Silver now involves using the pathetic Rock Climb HM. It's the reason I only went up there to beat Red once.
    *Can't delete Pokegear numbers. Had to start over and remind myself to tell Joey "NO!"
    *Can't buy coins directly at Game Corner anymore. Hence getting TM13 and TM24 was made a thousand times more difficult.
    *TR Executives were woefully weak. C'mon, Archer at least needed 4-5 Pokemon, fully evolved, with better diversity and movesets. Higher levels wouldn't hurt either.
    *Safari Zone so confusing I didn't even try it. At the end of the day, it's still the old Rock/Bait system anyway regardless of the number of bells and whistles they put on it.

That's actually a really good point about Leaf :)

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2012
    Two things annoy me in Soul Silver (& Heart gold) 1, theres no way to transfer your Pokemon over to Dimond unless you trade with yourself, which is a wast of pokeballs if.
    2, the legendaries seemed a lot harder or more stuburn to catch than ether Black or Dimond

Last edited:
    Years
  • Crystal's "replacement" irritated me somewhat, but the lack of a VS Seeker was inexcusable. I also didn't quite like the way Gym Leader rematches were handled, and how could they just replace Espeon? ;-; That said, I still prefer these games to BW.

I supported Leaf's representation, but personally I don't find it to be that big of a big deal.

Years
  • Things I Liked:
    - The Pokeathalon. It's has helped me so much on obtaining items I need to evolve my pokemon. Also something about pounding on the screen of my 3DS during that brick breaking games makes me so happy.

- I can have more than 10 numbers!

- I can rematch THEM, the trainers. I don't have to sit and wait for them to call me. Best of all I can re battle them over and over during a short period of time. Easy money and easy EXP.

- That place where you battle non stop. It's in that town with the lighthouse

- The radio show with professor Oak and Merry(?)

Things I don't like:
    There are only two things that REALLY make me mad
    - In GSC the trainers that often gave you items always gave me items. In HHSS I have not to receive an item that is NOT a berry. Even then I rarely get those berries. So pretty much the lack of item giving from the trainers who purpose to find items and give it to me.

- How I have to keep turning on the radio after each battle while looking for pokemon from the regions. Drives me up the wall. A simple manual on-off button should do the trick.

Other things I am not fond of but I find I can live with are...

- That games corner thing.

- Mother buying useless items with my money. I didn't like it GSC and I don't like it in HHSS. Also how she calls every other minute.

- How you can only rebattle the trainers on the boat once.

- The safari place. I was wondering why I was only getting the same small group of pokemon but that you guys claim there is more to it I am just baffled.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • - In GSC the trainers that often gave you items always gave me items. In HHSS I have not to receive an item that is NOT a berry. Even then I rarely get those berries. So pretty much the lack of item giving from the trainers who purpose to find items and give it to me.
    They still do give items, although it does seem it's less common for at least a good while into the game. (Or maybe it's just bad luck on our parts). They've also had a few trainers in HGSS give medicines (ie Proteins and the like) upon being defeated.
    - How you can only rebattle the trainers on the boat once.
    Ah, this... this was quite disappointing for myself too. I used to go on the boat a heck of a lot in GSC so to not be able to rebattle people on that was sad.

Dudypokefan89

Gen II fanboy / Loving Nidoking rn
    Years
  • The HG/SS games are better than G/S/C games by far. The games were a total improvement. My only problems were Pokealthlon or whatever, and the game corner.

The Pokemon triathalon or whatever was never that great. Like others said, I would prefer contests. We all have gotten a feel for contests. Why would gamefreak create a minigame feature, use it in R/S/E and D/P/P and then skip HG/SS? is it because it's a remake? B/W got the feature of contests back (i think..) My other grip is about the game corner. I'm losing my memory so bare with me but, didn't the game corner originally have slots? Voltorb flip pisses me off so much! I long for the game corner slots of Celadon. Damn them! turning my favorite city in Johto into a hotbed for horrid mini games.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • I guess I didn't like the fact that the dropped Kris, which saddened me a bit. That, and while it was a great remake, it felt...un-fulfilling I guess. I still hold Fire Red and Leaf Green as the epitome of what a remake should be, but HGSS did a lot of neat things, such as adding the original GS music. I don't know if I'd say they are better than GSC, I definitely had more fun with the originals, but they are pretty good remakes.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • The HG/SS games are better than G/S/C games by far. The games were a total improvement. My only problems were Pokealthlon or whatever, and the game corner.

The Pokemon triathalon or whatever was never that great. Like others said, I would prefer contests. We all have gotten a feel for contests. Why would gamefreak create a minigame feature, use it in R/S/E and D/P/P and then skip HG/SS? is it because it's a remake? B/W got the feature of contests back (i think..)
    Just going to pull you up on the last sentence; BW has musicals rather than contests, which is just 'dress your Pokemon up and watch them dance', which is pretty boring for the most part imo.
    My other grip is about the game corner. I'm losing my memory so bare with me but, didn't the game corner originally have slots? Voltorb flip pisses me off so much! I long for the game corner slots of Celadon. Damn them! turning my favorite city in Johto into a hotbed for horrid mini games.
    It did have slots in GSC, and also in Japan's version of HGSS (they were different from GSC's but they weren't bad). However the slots were removed due to a combination of anti-gambling laws in Europe (which was why European versions of Platinum had the slots hastily removed) and game rating groups which would have given HGSS a rating of PG-13 or something if it had kept the slots in, which would have most likely hurt sales. So Game Freak went and gave us a replacement game for the slots instead this time around outside of Japan (including places like Korea), which is at least better than Platinum's solution.

Years
  • Several things I didn't like, with the first two being the most egregious faults.

*Red's team is still incredibly weak. Thunderstone, or better yet Jolteon or Ampharos would be helpful. So would only having one Water-type.
    *Leaf appears nowhere in game. No option to have her replace Red. Girl champions need love too...
    *Mt. Silver now involves using the pathetic Rock Climb HM. It's the reason I only went up there to beat Red once.
    *Can't delete Pokegear numbers. Had to start over and remind myself to tell Joey "NO!"
    *Can't buy coins directly at Game Corner anymore. Hence getting TM13 and TM24 was made a thousand times more difficult.
    *TR Executives were woefully weak. C'mon, Archer at least needed 4-5 Pokemon, fully evolved, with better diversity and movesets. Higher levels wouldn't hurt either.
    *Safari Zone so confusing I didn't even try it. At the end of the day, it's still the old Rock/Bait system anyway regardless of the number of bells and whistles they put on it.

Thinking about it, I agree with all of these. I wasn't 'amazed' by the game and felt there were a couple of things missing and it did bring back good memories, but this is remake, I just couldn't get into.​

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • - "Low level" problem My biggest issue with these games was that the "low level" problem from GSC was never fixed. The wild Pokémon, the Gym Leaders, the trainers, and the Elite 4 were all so weak compared to the other games that it made training very tedious. I'm someone who likes to grind and with all the weak wild Pokémon around, it just became too much of a chore. Plus, there was little challenge.

- Can't buy coins Now, unlike the majority here, I actually enjoyed the Voltorb Flip. I found it rather addictive. However, I didn't like that you couldn't buy coins anymore.

- Specifically-timed Gym Rematches The requirements just to have a simple rematch with a Gym Leader was just way to specific for my liking.

- Complex Safari Zone Like many, I also found that the whole set up for the "new" Safari Zone was just too complex. The large time gaps in which to have a Pokémon you're looking for show up was also a bit ridiculous in my opinion.

Other than those four things, I really have enjoyed playing my SoulSilver. Actually, I find it the best remake that GameFreak has done so far. I liked FRLG too, but GameFreak did a lot of great things with HG/SS that FRLG could have really benefited from had it had the chance. I'm hoping a remake for RSE turns out even better should they be released!

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I didn't like the fact that that the Battle Frontier was the same as it was in Platinum this really bored me to be honest.

And the Safari Zone was annoying and pointless add to HG/SS.

GoombaGeek

what does this box do
    Years
  • I can't hate these games.

Pokémon Silver was my first video game ever and I spent hundreds of hours on it. Five years after I lost it, I was still humming the bike song even though I had forgotten where it was from.

When I ended up playing SoulSilver and I rode the bike for the first time, it was really powerful for me. It was parts "ohhhhh! that's what that is" and "T_T nostalgia" and it was incredible.

My only complaint is how... um...

I sat at my computer for 10 minutes trying to think of a complaint. Curse your perfection, HG/SS!

Oh wait: it's how Gold precedes Silver whenever people say G/S/C. Everyone knows Silver is the better version :rambo:

Aquarius1997

The Horoscopical Master
    Years
  • The pokemon. I hated how only kanto/johto pokemon appeared i have this tick where i have pokemon that can combat all types; this has made my team VERY efficient most of the dual type efficient pokemon were in lator generations and iad had to hack to get them(very annoying😒)

Also how you can only get dark types at the safari zone(i hate the complexity that is the safari zone also

Zephele

✧ leave it to me!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2013
    - Can't buy coins Now, unlike the majority here, I actually enjoyed the Voltorb Flip. I found it rather addictive. However, I didn't like that you couldn't buy coins anymore.

I also like Voltorb Flip (once I got used to it, anyway), but not being able to buy coins to shortcut your way to buying some great TMs was annoying. I understand why they got rid of it since coins weren't needed to play Voltorb Flip, but I would have appreciated, for example, a small reduction in the coins needed for the prizes to compensate.

Outside of that, I also remember being slightly annoyed about the cellphone rematch system. I appreciate that this was simply adapted from the original GSC games, but it felt so much more finicky coming after DPPt's Vs. Seeker.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I was okay with pretty much everything in HGSS except for Goldenrod City's music. The original song was so calming and beautiful and the HGSS arrangement was so fast and just... disappointing. That was the one thing I worried about when the remakes were announced. You can probably even go back and find all my old posts about it. I had really high hopes that the music would be amazing in there and there are no words to describe my disappointment when I finally got there and parked myself on the edge of the city to just listen. ;_;

ShadowKaiserin

Midnight Trainer
    Years
  • I love Soul Silver. It's my favorite game, taking all the aspects of Crystal and improving them. I do have a few small gripes though.
    Red's team was balanced in G/S/C with Espeon. Having Lapras just to demonstrate the horrors of Blizzard in a snowstorm is kind of ridiculous. Eevee was found in game, so it's not like it wasn't just as prominent as the others.
    I'm annoyed that you can't get any of the elemental punches until the Battle Frontier. They should have had a move tutor in Goldenrod like they had in Crystal, because the lack of thunderpunch on my Typhlosion makes battles with water types a real pain.
    The Lack of morning specific pokemon in the little off-shoot of route 46 and the switch around with Phanpy and Teddiursa. I don't care about that little teddybear, give me my little blue elephant back!
    Bell Tower...Mmm...Taco Bell...
    Why are all of Bugsy's Pokemon suddenly female?

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    So I absolutely adore HGSS. Like words cannot really describe how much. Without a doubt my favourite Pokémon game of all time. I can't possibly list all of the features that I love, but here are the main two that stick out in my mind:

Voltorb flip - I absolutely LOVED this. Seriously, I was addicted to it for so long! Particularly once I kind of optimised my strategy and was able to earn enough coins to buy everything I wanted.

Pokémon following you - loved this too, a really nice addition to the game, and a feature I wish they'd carried over into BW. I loved watching my Lugia following me :D

Now for a few dislikes:

Safari Zone - I agree that this was made FAR too complicated! I mean, some Pokémon were easy enough to get that only required waiting 5 or 7 days, but some you had to wait, like, 50+ days for, and I just thought that was a little much. It was probably added to keep people coming back to the game, but for me it just made me bored of it.

Low level problem - I found it very difficult, once my team was passed Lv.40-ish, to level-up. In the end, resorted to cheating 'cause I suck D: And I agree with the point someone made (sorry, forgot who it was now!) about how the Kanto Pokémon could've been appropriately levelled to match your approximate level once you reached Kanto.

Other than those two things, I loved the games. Whole-heartedly.

Back