• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen So Appalled

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2012
    Oh, how do I explain this?

1. At least in GSC he had a varied team. This time around he inexplicably has TWO Water-types, which means my Ampharos obliterated half his team. Of course Alder in B/W is even worse regarding this matter in what is supposed to be a type diverse team, but still... And not evolving the rat basically meant a free kill for me and reduced him down to five decent Pokemon versus my six. I see no other champion in the game series who didn't choose to evolve ALL of their Pokemon. And they provided a much more satisfying challenge as a result. And actually felt like Champions instead of a glorified Youngster.

2. So how does FR/LG fit into "canon?"
    Even so, I find it hard to say the Johto games are even based on the events of the original R/B. Let's assume for a minute that the events in the games are based off the events in R/B and not FR/LG. How then, can it be explained that my character in Blue was named "Chaos" and used Electrode and Nidoqueen among his team?

It probably has something to do with R/B/Y rather than the remakes. In Yellow they give you Pikachu, Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle (the three starters could be from R/B/G as well). You need to defeat/catch Snorlax in Route 12/16 in order to advance and some Silph Co. employer gives you Lapras. So they are pkmn that any person that played R/B/Y would have. That could be a reason why Red has that team in particular. After all R/B/Y didn't have a female player character so I find it hard if you could replace Red for Leaf. They could have given her another role though...but not as the Ultimate Trainer. Because that's something that only one person achieved in R/B/Y.

Back to the main topic. Things I disliked about HG/SS:

-I can't buy coins.
    -Safari Zone's difficult system.
    -I can't customize My Room.
    -They didn't bring back Crystal's female character. Instead there is Lyra who isn't even a trainer if I pick Gold. I find it weird since they put Suicune storyline.
    -I couldn't evolve certain pkmn (Magneton->Magnezon, Eevee->Leafeon/Glaceon, Nosepass->Probopass).
    -Gym Leaders schedules are too tight.
    -Pokeathlon? it was ok but why they didn't put Pkmn Contests?
    -I'm not sure but I found the Bug Catching Contest a bit strange...

Arcaray

Tetris God.
    Years
  • I for one am glad that they didn't have Pokemon Contests in HG/SS. It wasn't in the original, so why introduce it now? Admittedly, the Pokeathalon is a tad ridiculous, but I gotta say, I do find myself competing more often than I'd like to admit.
    The important thing to remember is that the folks at Game Freak need to balance the features of the game - Some people love the idea of dressing your Pokemon up and taking a photo, and these people need to be pleased too.

I, along with all of the veteran Game Corner Gamblers, really do dislike the lack of Coin Slots. But it's all political correctness gone mad, isn't it? Voltorb Flip is alright, but once you've figured it out it is far too simple if you ask me. And it doesn't give enough coins, so trying to get enough to buy your prize is less challenging and more time consuming.

The reason Red has two water types is that he specifically has a team consisting of Pokemon that you can only get once during Pokemon Yellow. It doesn't make him less challenging to beat, especially if you play the game right and train all your team evenly. Lvl 88 is pretty damn hard to get to!

There was something strange about the Bug Catching Contest, but I can't really decide what. And yes, the Safari Zone is completely ridiculous. Just let me catch a Shinx, already!

I don't like Suicune's story. To me, it added nothing and I just found it incredibly frustrating. I like chasing the Dogs around Johto, and this really wasn't necessary.

Maybe you can't delete the phone numbers just in case you accidentally deleted a Gym Leader? I dunno. Just a theory.

The Kimono Girls was something I didn't really appreciate either, but I can't say it annoyed me too much. I suppose it did give them more purpose, which is always good.

All in all, it's still my favourite game. It has far less flaws than any other game since the original GSC.

DarkWolf13

Battle Subway Editor
    Years
  • I didn't like that Pokeathalon. It seemed useless and the Safari Zone was FAR too difficult to understand. Also, too many trainers with only very few on their roster. ALso the wild Pokemon were weak so it's very hard to grind. But specific rematch times? I didn't mind that because if you know what trainer/Gym Leader is available at whatever time, you can battle them as many times as desired until a specific time. That's why on Sunday nights, I call it the grinding night because I battled Blue like 30 times between 8 and 11:59 PM. My Pokemon grew very strong because of this and it was very fun to use them in the Pokemon league because you can also grind there, due to the E4 powering up and having 6 Pokemon each. I didn't like the idea that the only way to get Magnezone/Probopass/Leafeon/Glaceon is in DPPl.

DARKSHADE

Waiting.. In the Shadows..
    Years
  • No option to have her replace Red. Girl champions need love too...

Cynthia has appeared in three consecutive games to date, I think they're getting a lot of love.
    You can't replace Red, the beauty was, that he was the character you played in the previous game.

As for things I didn't like, just the enviroment.. it was really good, just some parts felt far too D/P.. Johto is it's own natural place.
    It needed a bit more differentiation, and this really bugged me.

It's even small things like the Ilex forest shrine, which should be made of wood, but was just a copy of the Celestic Town shrine.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Cynthia has appeared in three consecutive games to date, I think they're getting a lot of love.
    You can't replace Red, the beauty was, that he was the character you played in the previous game.

It's the same person. And every other region has had a male champion.

And no, I know for a FACT that I did NOT play as Red in Leaf Green. Don't tell me I did, because I know what trainer I picked and what trainer appears on my trainer card in that game. I'd be more willing to accept that FR/LG and HG/SS exist in totally different parallel universes and have nothing to do with each other.

Probably the worst part of HG/SS is tossing FR/LG completely by the wayside.

Arrgh, I'm getting tired of this... My SS copy is officially going back to GameStop now.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • At the risk of being somewhat off-topic... you're giving your game back to gamestop because people don't like the female FRLG protagonist as much as you do and is fine with Red in HGSS, given it is a remake of GSC rather than FRLG? IDK... I don't think you should let other people's opinions on a character sway your thought on the game that much/to that point, is all. At any rate it's not the first instance of Game Freak changing up things with the protagonists. FRLG had a female protagonist even though RBY did not, Gold became Ethan in name and Krys from Crystal was also left behind.

Sure, I can see why you are annoyed, but people would have been annoyed the other way too. The issue is that one can't please everyone so I suspect they just went with Red only because that's how it was for the people who wanted to play HGSS for the nostalgia.
    There was something strange about the Bug Catching Contest, but I can't really decide what. And yes, the Safari Zone is completely ridiculous. Just let me catch a Shinx, already!
    IIRC Shinx is also available via Sinnoh Sound on the radio post-E4.

DARKSHADE

Waiting.. In the Shadows..
    Years

• It's the same person. And every other region has had a male champion.

And no, I know for a FACT that I did NOT play as Red in Leaf Green. Don't tell me I did, because I know what trainer I picked and what trainer appears on my trainer card in that game. I'd be more willing to accept that FR/LG and HG/SS exist in totally different parallel universes and have nothing to do with each other.

Probably the worst part of HG/SS is tossing FR/LG completely by the wayside.

Arrgh, I'm getting tired of this... My SS copy is officially going back to GameStop now.

That's not what I meant, back in the original generation 1 games, Red was the only playable character, and therefore, when Red appeared in G/S/C is somewhat of a legendary occurance.
    The champion of the first Pokemon game, linking the two together, knowing that if you played the original games you helped this guy become tough, in some sort of.. weird, not-so-literal way.
    Whilst I agree with you it would make sense for there to be an option to replace him with leaf, removing Red in return for Leaf at the top of Mt.Silver would be kind've ignorant of those facts.
    Leaf's beta artwork did exist in the beta of the original games, but never made it to the cut of the final game.

Spoiler:

And she then shared a debut with newly designed Red in the Remake of R/B, FR/LG.

I'd like to see Red as a reference to the root of the Pokemon games.
    And whilst it would make sense for leaf to fit, due to her not being present in the originals, it wouldn't have quite the same effect.

I have nothing against female champions at all, as from what I can tell, that seems to be your opinion.
    Infact I'd especially welcome Hilda/Whitea as champion in the upcoming sequels to Black and White - but that's another story.

Throwing your game would be a little drastic in response to my post.
    And above is my reasoning why, hopefully that helps~

And to stretch this back on topic, another thing I disliked about HG/SS was the lack of Kris, it was like she was wiped off the face of the earth, and she WAS in the original generation that they were supposed to be remaking.

Surely that makes less sense?

Last edited:

Joshawott

Banned
    Years
  • Nothing, really. HeartGold/SoulSilver are absolutely incredible, but I guess if I had to find something to dislike it would be the Safari Zone, as well.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
  • I love the games; I'm even doing a water monotype run on Heart Gold right now. I will admit there are quite a few things I dislike or believe should have been included.
    • Room Decoration and, to a lesser extent, Mystery Gift. I love decorating stuff, however minor, and I must admit I miss being able to put a NES in my Bedroom. :< Plus, Mystery Gift could be done by communicating to other DS' quite easily. Also, there was even room decorating in D/P/Pl through the underground, so it doesn't make much sense to me why it was excluded.
    • I believe the Rocket Admins, mostly Archer, could have been expanded on. Archer just... seems devoid of any personality or backstory (yes, I realise it was like this in the original.)
    • The renaming of Tin Tower to Bell Tower. While it is quite minor, it just annoys me and it was even referred to as Tin Tower in Platinum, so it doesn't really make much sense.

That's all I can think of at the moment. I may add more when I think/remember some more. :)

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Plus, Mystery Gift could be done by communicating to other DS' quite easily.
    In a way they have Mystery Gift, just done via the PokeWalker this time around.
    The renaming of Tin Tower to Bell Tower. While it is quite minor, it just annoys me and it was even referred to as Tin Tower in Platinum, so it doesn't really make much sense.
    Hmm... I do wonder at why it's changed, but it could be just remvoing the chance of anyone complaining about the fact that the Tin is ~ to 'Twin', with its fellow tower burned down... It is a sensative subject for some after all I imagine and I also imagine they would have rather played it safe. That's the only reason that comes to mind besides that they just wanted to focus on the Bell item aspect.

(And heck yeah monotype runs of HGSS. =D)

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
    Years
  • Hated the phone calls from mom. Every single time I beat a trainer (almost) I got a call from her.... I mean, ITS MY FREAKIN MONEY!!!! WHY ARE YOU SPENDING ALL OF IT???

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
  • Still the amount of endless calls you receive from trainers. I mean, I don't care if you defeated a Marill or a Poliwag the other day. we just met today, for god's sake.

Years
  • One thing I didn't like was that you had to wait too long in the game to get certain things. Firstly, the GB Sounds thing (isn't that's what it's called?). You could only get it after beating all of the Kanto Gym leaders, but I wanted to get it before that so I could hear the epic Kanto Gym battle music in it's 8 Bit glory. Of course this was nullified by the ability to rebattle Gym Leaders (though that was a little awkward for my liking too- having to get their numbers on various days, then having to CALL them on different days, and.. ugh.)

Another thing was getting the other starters after beating Red. I wanted so badly to be able to use a Venusaur and Swampert (along with my Typhlosion) against Red, but no cigar. Although again, this was nullified by being able to transfer in Pokemon via Pal Park, so yeah, ultimately, there are ways around most of the things I found annoying with these games :3

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I haven't really contributed much time to HGSS but I didn't like the way they maintained the levels the same as GSC yeah it's a remake but atleast make it a little more challenging.

Years
  • While I loved Heart Gold as a whole, there were three things I didn't like about the game.

1. The Safari Zone. I liked the idea of interchangeable sections to catch different types of Pokemon, but I really didn't like having to place an item, just so you could go back a few days later to possibly find the Pokemon you wanted. I also didn't like the removal of the time limit. Part of the fun (for me, anyways) was trying to catch everything I wanted, but with a limited amount of steps and Safari Balls. The infinite time limit of the HG/SS Safari Zone takes some of that challenge away.
    2. Gym Leader Rematches. Once again, this was an idea I half liked. I liked that the leaders would opt to face you again from the Fighting Dojo, so that the building actually served a purpose (unlike Gen II). I didn't like the method of the rematches, by having to acquire their phone numbers at a certain time on a certain day, and then calling them on sometimes a completely different time and day to just set up the rematch.
    3. No Vs. Seeker. While the PokeGear phone replaces the Vs Seeker, you still have to wait on the NPCs to call you back for another battle (sans Gym Leaders), and even then, I'd say only 20-25% of those trainers actually give you their numbers. This made it difficult to level up before the Elite Four, since almost all of the wild Pokemon are useless to train against. This was one of the few Key Items I would bother registering in past games, so I was very dissappointed to find out they weren't in this one.

bewbs

~Chloe~
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    Nothing, really. HeartGold/SoulSilver are absolutely incredible, but I guess if I had to find something to dislike it would be the Safari Zone, as well.

Same with me. I loved the games although I never really paid that much attention to the safari zone.

Years
  • Red doesn't evolve his Pikachu, because Pikachu is his main Pokemon. Like Red in the Pokemon Adventures Manga, his Pikachu stays a Pikachu while everything else evolves. Or like Red in Yellow Version. It just doesn't happen. Also, saying Red isn't your trainer from FR/LG or R/B/G just because you named him something different; it doesn't work that way. Even if you don't name your trainer Red, it's still Red. Just like how in Zelda games, you can name Link whatever you want, but he's still Link...

Last edited:

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • The phone calls from my mother every waking moment...it was so annoying. Also a thing that kind of ticked me off a little bit was the Pokemon following you feature; it should have been an option other than getting on your bike.

:t354:TG

Back