• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen So Snowbelle City is only snowy because of the Gym...

Years
  • If you've seen the in-game text for Snowbelle City, it says, "They say the cold air flowing from the Pokémon Gym is responsible for this city's frozen state." I never really noticed that until I was watching one of Aquablade11's Wonderlocke streams back in November where he brought up that fact, that it only snows because of the Gym. He ranted about how they had to take an Ice-type Gym for the town, and that if he lived in Snowbelle, he'd say HEY CLOSE THE STUPID GYM WHY DID THEY HAVE TO HAVE AN ICE-TYPE GYM.

How does this happen? Did Snowbelle City get its name because they had an Ice-type Gym in mind? Did they want to make a snowy city? What do you think you would do if you lived in Snowbelle City? Did the cold never bother you anyway? Or would you hate it for the Gym and want it as well? What other type do you think would have been better for a last Gym instead?

Discuss.

Ars Arcanum

The North Remembers.
    Years
  • Its my favorite city/gym in Kalos. I love snow, and i love cold weather. Im not really affected by it. Ice isn't my favorite type though. Ironically its fire!

Reactions: Zet

DoktorGilda

I will steal your lunch money
    Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2014
    Snowbelle has one of my favorite theme songs in XY. I can't say if I'd like living in it though, I have never seen snow! :B

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    How does this happen? Did Snowbelle City get its name because they had an Ice-type Gym in mind? Did they want to make a snowy city?
    That's probably what it is. They just wanted to make it a snowy city or have it as the town that has the Ice-type Gym. And it'd be a little weird if the Ice gym was at the beach.
    What do you think you would do if you lived in Snowbelle City?
    I wouldn't live there. I hate the cold.

Did the cold never bother you anyway?
    lol dat welcome message reference

What other type do you think would have been better for a last Gym instead?
    They should've done a Dark type gym. Why is there still no Dark type gym?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    If I were in Pokémon world and born in Snowbelle City, I would have moved elsewhere later on when I'd grown older. xD;; Although, I probably would have gotten used to the snow by then, but… still, it's a possibility. As for gym, it makes sense for it to be ice-type, but if it were to change, I'd switch it to either water or normal.

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2015
    Snowbelle city itself didn't really make much sense to me. It genuinely felt like there was an ice gym just for the fact that most regions have ice gym leaders late in the game. Worst thing though is that there was a perfectly good ice-themed area...that appears EARLIER in the game. Why not just put it up there and make you go back later? They've done that approach in the first game after all.

I'm kind of glad that the Dark type wasn't given a gym this generation, I just feel like it wouldn't have been done much justice in the Kalos region.

SamStyle

Mega Bidoof
    Years
  • That's probably what it is. They just wanted to make it a snowy city or have it as the town that has the Ice-type Gym. And it'd be a little weird if the Ice gym was at the beach.

I don't think it would be weird i think it would have it's own special ice cream shop or something along those lines of it being a cool area at a really hot beach maybe called groudon beach

AZ Jr

There is a fine line between fishing and just stan
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 9, 2014
    I can't think of anything clever and witty to write. Besides, the cold never bothered me anyway.

Years
  • Well, the DS era games had both Sunyshore City and Humilau City, which are both beachside areas, not to mention to get to Humilau you had to go through the Marine Tube in Undella Town. (Although in BW2 there are seasons, so you can be there during winter.) So it's not completely unreasonable or crazy that they'd want to do the opposite for this one.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • I noticed that too, and I honestly thought it was completely ridiculous (and still do). The entire town is refrigerated by the gym? The electric bill for that must be an absolute nightmare...

Years
  • That is also a good valid option, but I was talking about more of a romantic option ;)

Can't argue with that reason for the option.

Here are the lyrics for the perfect song in Snowbelle City:

Oh the weather outside is frightful
    But the fire is so delightful
    And since we've got no place to go
    Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!!

Oh, it doesn't show signs of stopping
    And I've brought some corn for popping
    The lights are turned way down low
    Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!

The fire is slowly dying
    And my dear were still good-by-ing
    But as long as you love me so
    Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It snow

When we finally kiss goodnight
    How I'll hate going out in the storm!
    But if you'll really hold me tight
    All the way home I'll be warm

Oh, it doesn't show signs of stopping
    And I've brought some corn for popping
    Since the lights are turned way down low

When we finally kiss goodnight
    How I'll hate going out in the storm!
    But if you'll really hold me tight
    All the way home I'll be warm

The fire is slowly dying
    And my dear were still good-by-ing
    But as long as you love me so

I would so live there with my wife (if i had one, or a girlfriend for that matter :( ), and do that every night, with the Charizard as well. *gets blank stares* What? It saves money on the utility bill.

Last edited:
    Back