• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

So, what exactly makes a good game?

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
    Exactly as the title says? Is it the music, the gameplay, the plot, or even the graphics? Is it the genre? Discuss some stuff here. :3

To me, I think what makes a really good video game is a lot of things, but one of the biggest things that make a good game is replay value. What I like to see in a game is something which is always different, in a sense of how you go about playing it. Something which is fun to play over and over again. One of the biggest games I think that accomplishes this would have to be Starfox 64/Lylatwars. The game levels are always the same, but you're always trying to improve and get better, so you keep playing and playing just to get everything you want. It's always different as well, as there's several different combinations of planets which you can traverse.

Replay value has got to be one of the biggest things to me in a game. If you can't replay the game again, what's the point of even getting it, especially if it's short.

Years
    Gameplay is a must, music is a bonus, and plot isn't necessary if it's designed to have open-ended gameplay and the story isn't the main focus, if it even has a story. Also, there has to be high replay value, at least in my opinion, and I like my games to be immersive. The standards do vary by genre, though.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Replay value is probably why I like Pokemon so much. They're not short, but not insanely long (some of them...) and the gameplay is nice. That being said, replay value and gameplay are the most important to me. Plot is nice, but honestly, a game can have a crackpot wacked up stupid plot, but as long as the game is fun and keeps me entertained, I really don't care. Music, like donavannj said, is just a bonus.

DarkAlucard

Seek me. Call me...
    Years
    Gameplay, Replay Value and plot are my options because I'm a big fan of RPG genre.
    Everything else is just a bonus, especially the graphics, I am not interested in a game that looks great if the gameplay and replay value is very low, it would be a foolish waste of money.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    The plot, graphics and gameplay are factors I take into consideration when I choose a game to play. If the game has none of those, I don't take it.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    A game that makes you waste time and makes you want to play it again.
    For this to happen, the plot and gameplay must be good. Graphics isn't so important. (imo)

Wansen

Regal Bryant
    Years
    Mostly if it has good characters and enviroments coupled with gameplay. It's nice having an enviroment you can actually interact with my perfect example would be Ghost Trick.
    Replayablility is nice but I only do it if its a game like Mass Effect or there is something else to do other than just getting better and doing 100% completion.

Years
    There are many important features in a game that different people look for. Graphics, Storyline, Audio, Gameplay and so on, but certain things can be sacrificed for others and a came can still be a classic.

For me, storyline, audio (Music, SFXs, Voice acting and so on), gameplay (fighting system if RPG or so on) make games that I will normally love. If these three parts have been perfected then the chances are, I am going to love the game!​

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2011
    Gameplay and length of the game are all that matters to me. The game could have no sounds at all and be a bunch of blocks for all I care =P

Twiggeus

Get Twiggy With It~
    Years
    Gameplay should be first in everyone's list. If you can't enjoy the gameplay, then there's no point replay value, let alone all the other things. You buy a game to play a game, not to watch a beautiful animated movie.

The right genre is also an important factor. I'm not a fan of shooters, especially first person shooters. Obviously, everyone has different tastes.

Plot is optional, depending on the genre. If it's an RPG, the story plays a pretty big role. If it's a racing game, you don't even need a story.

jcsimpson

Sing into my mouth
    Years
    Story, game play and characters are what make or break a game for me. I don't care what it looks like as long as it has those three elements done well.

NurseBarbra

くら くら?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Feb 4, 2017
    Gonna write a reasonable paragraph for each title. Ok Let's start.
    -Gameplay: Gameplay in games should be balanced, just enough that you feel a sense of achievement when you complete a game, yet have enough difficulty to give some challenge, such as a well timed jump which either kills you or lets you continue in the game. Sometimes the simplist gameplay mechanics are the best. Original concepts are also key, such as weapons. If every game had a P-90 as the main gun, games would feel like cookie cutter ripoffs of a previous games (Which some games pull this off QUITE well, don't ask me how...) and that would just make it seem boring and repetitive.
    -Story: While story is excellent if well written, it has to make sense to a player. You can't have a war game suddenly start talking about how some random guy 4 missions ago suddenly is the main villian. I also am a firm believer that if a game is going to have a plot, it should go by chapters. 10 chapters at about 30 minutes of gameplay each is reasonable and lengthy enough to occupy players. Games that have a slow progression on just 3 or 4 characters are normally much better than games which throw you into the middle of the plot and speed through 12+ important characters in the space of 20 minutes. Cutscenes are a big annoyance in most video games. There have been some videogames which have no cutscenes that are able to provide a rich experience to gamers and common folk alike, which adds to the replay value, while other games have cutscenes every 10 minutes of game time, and by the end the game, there has probally been more cutscenes and mandatory plot development at unneeded times than actual game play, as in a 2 to 1 difference.
    -Audio: Game audio is very important in games, as it sets the game tone, for instance, Final fantasy 10 had a more traditional musical theme to it, while its sequel X-2, had poppy, upbeat music to reinforce the fact that the land the game is set in has changed. This is also important with sound effects. You can't have a sledge hammer sound like one of the hammers off of a child's play bench,(The one's with the squeakers..) because while it may be outright and funny, it would get really annoying really fast.
    --------------------------------------
    [Comments beyond this point shall be added later as it is 2:30am in Ireland and I need sleep]

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
    Years
    For me, graphics mean almost nothing. I don't care if the game looks like a NES Game, Next-gen game, or an N64 game. What sells a game to me is the story and gameplay. And in some cases, the music.

Years
    What i really like in a video game is the Story.
    Example of Naruto Shippuden: Kizuna Drive(PSP).
    Bad Gameplay and Medicore graphics.
    SOO hard but good Story.

The music is also what i critique.
    Haha, Black and White has a good taste..
    But i wish on their next game-- The Music Will Be Metal.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Interest. If a game can keep you interested enough to beat the whole game regardless of other qualities, then chances are it's a good game.

Years
    • Seen May 23, 2011
    There are so many different elements required in making a good game, and every player has their own preferences. For me, variety, attractive graphics and a developing storyline are essential, otherwise I get bored quickly! A game with strategy like Age of Empires Online or Grepolis genreally keep things interesting enough for me, but as I said everyone has different tastes!

Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2013
    To me, the most important parts of a game should be its gameplay, plot, and characters. I love those kinds of games that are driven by a good plot, such as 999, and Theresia, mainly because of my love for reading books. Characters are really important, since they're part of the story overall, and make the game more interesting to play.

And of course, bad gameplay makes me want to stay away from a game if that ever happens. D:

Bohemian_Rhapsody

Professional Daydreamer
    Years
    I would say plot and artwork means a lot to me when it comes to a game. I generally don't replay games in the first place unless there's something I missed when I first played through it. If there isn't anything to push me forward, I probably won't finish it which is why I need a plot. Without a plot, I get bored easily. I'm not motivated that much by rewards or trophies.
    Also I love it when a game dazzles me with their artwork. Graphics isn't always a key factor but I do appreciate it.

Back