• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

SOPA & ACTA

Should the SOPA Bill be passed?

• Total voters

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
    [SIZE="a"]I Am totally against SOPA and PIPA,
    as you can see from my sig. I mean, I
    Believe in copyright and all that, but SOPA goes way overboard. Like, if I upload a song to YouTube, I could get arrested. That's crazy! And, as has been noted before, it would nearly eliminate ROM hacking from PC.
    We must stop this.[/SIZE]

Agreed. Farcical way to "solve" copyright problem. (Also, current 2:58 like to dislike ratio basically sums up how many are against this piece of junk)

If SOPA was in "full swing," I would've been arrested and put into jail for 5 years for putting up that link to lifehacker website on my previous post and PC would have to shut down. Scary... in a completely ludicrous way.

I think SOPA is a perfectly fine thing.
    I don't get what the problem is.

I hope you're trolling. :cheeky:

Akio123

Sadness forever...
    Years
    How the ROM is obtained doesn't have to be illigal. You need the official game in order to legally own a ROM. Like I said, there's a difference between hacking and piracy.

I just want to point out, I love how that's the ONLY thing in my post you tried to argue (btw it's illegal >_>).

Let me ask you a question:
    How many people do you think own have the ROMs they hack?
    A good number probably do, but the vast majority probably don't own it (or are just saying they do). Anyone can say "I own (insert game here)," No one is really going to check.

Yes there is a difference between hacking and piracy, but people still pirate the ROMs they hack. You sort of missed my point there.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    You can, but can you guarentee that rom hackers and people who play rom hacks can?

Your the minority. The overwhelming majority must pirate the roms.

Besides, the backup is only legal if you still own the original gamecart. And if you dumped to rom yourself. (Even though you own the game, your not legally allowed to download a rom version.)

Last edited:

2Cool4Mewtwo

Years
    Threaten the ROM hacking community? That's an understatement.

If SOPA passes, I guarantee that it'll be near impossible to make a ROM hack without bypassing SOPA, maybe even if you're savvy on this subject. You'd need your own game cartridge (and maybe even program a game boy emulator program and program that converts files in cartridge to .gba files, all from scratch!)... it'd be hundreds, if not thousands of times harder to make a ROM hack if you plan to hack it from the scratch. Even if you manage to make a ROM hack, how will you be able to distribute it without uploading/downloading websites?

Good luck, though. Not saying it's impossible, but you'd have to be extremely dedicated to continue ROM hacking if this passes.

SOPA is the best thing for the internet and our society. Without these controls, piracy will continue to run rampant, and everyone knows that criminal gangs, and terrorists, make a large amount of profit from piracy to further their criminal activities.

If you oppose SOPA you are a thief, pirate, terrorist sympathiser and a paedophile (we all know they love to share illegal files).

It sounds like you don't actually know what this law does... It sounds good on paper, but the proposed implementation of it is rubbish at the very least. (If you want to know what this actually does, then go to my very first post in this thread, find the link to lifehacker on the issue, then get informed about it.

Last edited:

Akio123

Sadness forever...
    Years
    SOPA is the best thing for the internet and our society. Without these controls, piracy will continue to run rampant, and everyone knows that criminal gangs, and terrorists, make a large amount of profit from piracy to further their criminal activities.

If you oppose SOPA you are a thief, pirate, terrorist sympathiser and a paedophile (we all know they love to share illegal files).

I'm sure you're trolling right? No SANE person, or someone over the age of 14, would support SOPA.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    SOPA would bring a lot of trouble to taxpayers too, and we're not even counting how much money companies would have to use to properly censor their websites so that they abide with the law. Especially big ones like Youtube or Facebook. I also heard that if someone posted a video of them singing a cover to some pop song, then the whole website could be in trouble. The liability is on the website now instead of an individual...

2Cool4Mewtwo

Years
    I also heard that if someone posted a video of them singing a cover to some pop song, then the whole website could be in trouble. The liability is on the website now instead of an individual...

Yup, it's true, except the person who posted the video may face around 5 years in prison.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years

It's one thing to haveva differing opinion, but it's unnesessary to insult people. We didn't say SOPA isn't good, we're saying it does a lot more bad than good. Just because we oppose it doesn't mean we're all thieves, I'm sure none of us have to do with terrorism, and don't you EVER call me or anyone else a pedophile! That is an empty accusation and it ****ing pisses me off! I suggest you look at everything SOPA does, not just the good.

Years
    Threaten the ROM hacking community? That's an understatement.

If SOPA passes, I guarantee that it'll be near impossible to make a ROM hack without bypassing SOPA, maybe even if you're savvy on this subject. You'd need your own game cartridge, and you'd need to make your own script editor, your own AdvanceMap (or whatever map editor)... it'd be hundreds, if not thousands of times harder to make a ROM hack if you plan to hack it from the scratch. Even if you manage to make a ROM hack, how will you be able to distribute it without downloading websites?

Good luck, though. You'd have to be extremely dedicated to continue ROM hacking if this passes

I'm pretty sure you won't need to recreate a script editor and map editor to make a ROM hack if SOPA passes. After all, they're only making the 'pirated software', or the ROM, more illegal than it is now to distribute.

These laws have more or less already been in place, they're just being re-emphasized along with laws against distributing prescription drugs without a prescription and transmitting harmful classified documents to terrorists. If you're complaining about this bill because it brings the legality of distributing commericial roms into question, you might as well rethink the whole "using and distributing commerical ROMs to make new ROM versions" mentality, because it technically is still illegal, you're just getting away with it.

Last edited:

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years

I'm pretty sure you won't need to recreate a script editor and map editor to make a ROM hack if SOPA passes. After all, they're only making the 'pirated software', or the ROM, more illegal than it is now to distribute.

These laws have more or less already been in place, they're just being re-emphasized along with laws against distributing prescription drugs without a prescription and transmitting harmful classified documents to terrorists. If you're complaining about this bill because it brings the legality of distributing commericial roms into question, you might as well rethink the whole "using and distributing commerical ROMs to make new ROM versions" mentality, because it technically is still illegal, you're just getting away with it.

Distribute ROMs? No one here does that, it's illegal here too. We distribute patches. The method of obtaining the ROM is left to the individuals. Besides, hacking is like making a fan game. We don't claim to be associated with GameFreak or Nintendo, we distribute our work for free (let me emphasize again that we distribute patches not ROMs) and we give clarify that the game wasn't made from scratch, credit is given. Nothing is stolen in the process of ROM hacking. I doubt it's illegal under these circumstances, and companies aren't against it.

Years
    Distribute ROMs? No one here does that, it's illegal here too. We distribute patches. The method of obtaining the ROM is left to the individuals. Besides, hacking is like making a fan game. We don't claim to be associated with GameFreak or Nintendo, we distribute our work for free (let me emphasize again that we distribute patches not ROMs) and we give clarify that the game wasn't made from scratch, credit is given. Nothing is stolen in the process of ROM hacking. I doubt it's illegal under these circumstances, and companies aren't against it.

Most ROMs aren't taken directly from the game cartridge and then hacked on, they're usually just cloned copies of a single ROM that was ripped from a cartridge and then distributed through a file-share system. And let's face it, I personally am not gonna buy every single Pokemon cartridge and then rip the ROM from that to play these hacks. It's just stupid. And I doubt many other people will do the same.

That's obvious from the fact that right now 2Cool4Mewtwo just said:
    If SOPA passes, I guarantee that it'll be near impossible to make a ROM hack without bypassing SOPA, maybe even if you're savvy on this subject. You'd need your own game cartridge (and maybe even program a game boy emulator program and program that converts files in cartridge to .gba files, all from scratch!

If there was no problem with these hacked ROMs, it would be easy to rely on this legal methods to get the base commercial ROMs. Why? Because if more people were doing this legally than not, we wouldn't be complaining about it right now. All the effect this SOPA crap would have on us is to eliminate the sole minority that gets ROMs from file sharing websites and the like to actually play the games. Sadly, the majority of this thread (and the poll) reveals to everyone looking at this website that the majority of the people on these forums don't get the ROMs legally.

Think about it. Sheesh. >.>

jpp8

Producer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2013
    Even if people did get their ROMs legally, the ability to create and distribute hacks with them would illegal under SOPA. That thing they have at the end of the credits: "All things in this game including program, music, and characters are Copyright Nintendo" or something. Merely modifying the game and distributing it in whatever kind of form is liable for a felony in the same way that singing a karaoke cover on Youtube or having a pop song in the background of an uploaded wedding video would be a violation of SOPA.

Brolijah

Secretly (Not) Active
    Years

correct me if im wrong, but yu make it sound like there just merely enforcing things a bit. wat the corporations will be able to do is about as biased and quick judged as wat

the NDAA allows. this bill is literally screwing ppl in the a$$

Last edited:
    Years
    If there was no problem with these hacked ROMs, it would be easy to rely on this legal methods to get the base commercial ROMs. Why? Because if more people were doing this legally than not, we wouldn't be complaining about it right now. All the effect this SOPA crap would have on us is to eliminate the sole minority that gets ROMs from file sharing websites and the like to actually play the games. Sadly, the majority of this thread (and the poll) reveals to everyone looking at this website that the majority of the people on these forums don't get the ROMs legally.

Think about it. Sheesh. >.>

The biggest reason I'm against these bills is that they circumvent due process, a right guaranteed in the Constitution for residents of the United States, which is a very important right when it comes to the criminal justice system. These bills allow individuals and institutions, rather than the individual or institution in question, to waive someone's right to due process without their consent.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years
    ROM distribution isn't the only thing that's threatened. SOPA goes too far, it's going against freedom. It isn't just piracy that's threatened: parady, fan games, fan anything, various memes, etc. he punishment is too extreme too. I'll express my opinion in the form of some memes I found.

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
    O.O Here's a list of companies supporting S.O.P.A. It's no wonder the government is pushing the bill. If the opposition is large, so is the number of supporting companies as well... but the thing is, most of these companies are unrelated to the world wide web, unlike the opposition, who are mostly related to the web or are parts of the web themselves.

Spoiler:

Akio123

Sadness forever...
    Years
    Can I point out that some of those company (Like Loreal and Nike) really would not be affected by SOPA?

"Gee guys, let's pirate some Shampoo =D!" >_>

Back on track:
    I mean guys, ROMs again aren't the biggest issue. Yes in the scope of this form where ROM hacking is a practice that many of us indulge upon, (Seriously I use advance map on already made ROM hacks to make it more fun (Garchomp 1st route ftw!!)) but guys it's affects alot more. It infringes on our rights as internet users. Again, it seems like it only afffects the film industry, thusly Hollywood just needs to get with the program and learn how to properly distribute media.

Years
    If SOPA does get past, it will never work 100%. There is not enough people to police the Internet, plus tech-savvy people will find ways to get around SOPA. I see it like this...

Imagine there is a lake is held back by a dam. The water in the lake being Internet users and the dam represents SOPA and the dam is to prevent the lake from flowing a dried up river that represents all the sites like Youtube and the Pirate Bay. The sites that you can watch all kinds of stuff and not pay for it. Overtime, leaks will begin to appear in the dam, letting water out into the dried up river. Users found a way past SOPA and are back to watching or downloading. Then a guy appears to plug up the holes in the dam, the guy being people paid by the Government to close the holes discovered by tech savvy users. Just as the guy does that, ten more holes will appear in the dam. And soon there are so many holes appearing that he can't do it all at once without major help. And even if he does get help, it will be too late and the lake will keep on flowing into the river.

In short, the reason this crap is going on is because Hollywood ain't making as much money as before and they are crying to Washington to make us pay for watching TV shows on Youtube. It's not about losing jobs and everything else that SOPA is claiming is happening.

It's all about the money. And they are greedy bastards who want it since we don't want to pay for it anymore.

Am I against it? Yes. We claim to be a nation where people can be free and cry foul on other countries who restrict the freedoms of their people, but if this passes, we'll end up with something worse than what China has and America will once again make an ass out of ourselves in front of the world.

SS01

#PoC Collab
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    [SIZE="a"]Omg… The NHL is on that list…
    NOOOOOO!!!

All Kidding aside, you're totally right in saying half those companies won't even be affected by SOPA. Pokécommunity should really black out, but I guess then we wouldn't have this thread. I Also didn't realize About thé cover vidéos thing. I mean, all of thé young artists (off thé top of my head: Ariana Grande) who are doing
    Covers would be in jail.
    I'm canadian, but it's scary Joe much this would affect me. I suppose they could move the entire Wikipedia to Canada, but they just wouldn't do that.
    Besides, they'd suffer from losing American traffic.

( sorry about the misspellings and typos, my keyboard, and therefor autocorrect was accidentally in French . And I just hate autocorrect in the first place. I'm on my iPod touch posting this.[/SIZE]

Back