• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spooky areas in mainline games

Years
    It kinda dawned on me that spooky areas havent been a thing in the mainline games since gen 5. Every gen for awhile had its own spooky area; lavender tower, old chateu, what have you but then just kinda gave up with gen 6s """spooky""" house. Do you think spooky areas should come back?

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Disagrees on them disappearing. Views Glimwood Tangle and especially the Abandoned Thrifty Megamart as "spooky" areas. Argues for Po Town, Aether Paradise (with the frozen Pokemon), and Ultra Space (with Lusamine) being a kind of spooky too.

Appreciates these kind of places in Pokemon for variety. Would not mind more spooky places in future games.

Years
    Glimwood tangle comes off more mystical rather than spooky, the abandoned thrifty market has nothing after the trial, po town is just dilapidated/ trashed not scary, i dont think one room makes the entirety of the aether paradise scary, and the ultra work holes are kinda just alien feeling which at that point would depend if you find nihilego scary which i dont. I think the last beginning to end scary area was the strange house from unova

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
    They... haven't? As Devalue said, Alola's Abandoned Thrifty Megamart and the Hau'oli Cemetery are definitely traditional spooky areas, as are Galar's Glimwood Tangle and the Old Cemetery in the Crown Tundra. Spooky areas haven't gone anywhere - they have been slightly shaken up. I love them, so I'm excited to see where they go next.

Years
    Ok when i say spooky area im talking like an area with memorable legit scares or is actually unnerving. Going up a literal tower of the dead or exploring a abandoned building with ghosts showing up all over the place. Not like a forest that is VAGUELY scary or just a cemetery that is just kinda scary by association. I guess im saying that scary areas have gotten less scares in them that id like to see return. Make them memorable again and not a local you just sorta pass through/by

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    Ok when i say spooky area im talking like an area with memorable legit scares or is actually unnerving. Going up a literal tower of the dead or exploring a abandoned building with ghosts showing up all over the place. Not like a forest that is VAGUELY scary or just a cemetery that is just kinda scary by association. I guess im saying that scary areas have gotten less scares in them that id like to see return. Make them memorable again and not a local you just sorta pass through/by

For me, about 80% of everything that has ever spooked me in Pokémon existed in generation IV, namely the Sinnoh games. The Old Chateau is, hands down, the most terrifying location in all Pokémon for me. Everything about it, from the extremely creepy music, the "empty room feeling," pictures with eyes that glow red when you're not looking at them, the occasional human ghosts that appeared throughout the place, and so on, was terrifying. I was a very small child when I first played it in Pokémon Platinum and even today, when I played Brilliant Diamond, it still crept me out. Before I visited The Old Chateau, I've never had that feeling in any sort of fictional world where I felt that I need to just get what I need to get and get the heck outta there! On top of that, Newmoon Island for the Darkrai event, the Distortion World where Giratina lives (both of which are terrifying Pokémon), and Turnback Cave where Giratina also stays were creepy as well. Pokémon Black and White had the Strange House, which was a lot like The Old Chateau and was related to more Darkrai lore. By the way, when I say "empty room feeling," whenever I enter an empty room in a video game and everything is ominous, I get that same feeling that a Five Nights at Freddy's player would experience and expect a jump scare even if I may not have a logical reason to feel that way. lol

Other than that, I have to disagree. The other generations did indeed have spooky areas. However, while this might not count as a spooky location, the random building in Lumiose City where the ghost girl appears is still creepy to me. It's different because the actual building itself isn't scary, but instead, it becomes scary because of what happens. Although you might disagree with this, I also found the back alleys of Lumiose City to be somewhat unsettling as well. Again, I tend to experience that "empty room feeling" a lot and some of those alleys are completely empty. I don't know; maybe I'm just a big scaredy-cat? Generation VII however, in my opinion, did indeed have scary locations. The ordinary Trainers' School became a spooky location in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon when you accepted the quest to uncover the seven mysteries for a mysterious little girl with her Driftloon. It's night-time, the music becomes ominous, the school becomes completely empty, giving you that "empty room feeling," and strange things happen throughout the quest such as stairs leading to nowhere, and so on. You also have to deal with Driftloon, Gastly, and even a Hypno disguised as a teacher teaching a class full of ghost kids (despite Hypno not even being in Sword and Shield).

In addition, Thrifty Megamart, the abandoned grocery store where you partake in Acerola's trial, is also a spooky location, especially during the trial. Don't tell me you forgot about the sequence where somebody or something that appears to be "Acerola" shouting for you to get out, and the back area of the store where you battle Mimikyu completely vanishing after you finish the trial. While the store isn't on the level of Old Chateau or Strange House to me, it still remains fairly creepy even after the trial. Everybody has their opinions, but for me, Po Town wasn't a spooky place. It was just the ghetto part of town experiencing rain. lol I didn't really view Ultra Space as spooky either. In generation VIII, a somewhat spooky location for me was the Slumbering Weald, especially in the beginning of the game when you encountered Zacian or Zamazenta for the first time. Just the dark foggy atmosphere, along with the ominous music made the place somewhat spooky, but it doesn't compare to any of the spooky places in Sinnoh for me. That's about it. Glimwood Tangle, at least to me, isn't spooky. If anything, I'd say it's downright fascinating, as it looks like something straight out of Alice in Wonderland. In Pokémon Sword, I actually used Glimwood Tangle for my background for my trainer card and it looks nice.

Last edited:

soulzzii

We don't wanna watch the news, we just read statem
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2023
    Other than that, I have to disagree. The other generations did indeed have spooky areas. However, while this might not count as a spooky location, the random building in Lumiose City where the ghost girl appears is still creepy to me. It's different because the actual building itself isn't scary, but instead, it becomes scary because of what happens.
    i was waiting for someone to mention it! i remenber being a child and being shocked with the youtube videos about it at the time lol
    one thing that definely adds to it that it just looks like a regular building: the first and third floor are normal, with some npcs, something you would expect from a building, then the second floor just hits you with that ghost girl, i can say it got child me in shock lol
    The Chamber of Emptiness is... weird, it just has two items: a spooky plate and a Banettite (which just spawns at a specific time) but it kinda gives a strange vibe, no pokemon, no trainers, only two lonely items.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    i was waiting for someone to mention it! i remenber being a child and being shocked with the youtube videos about it at the time lol
    one thing that definely adds to it that it just looks like a regular building: the first and third floor are normal, with some npcs, something you would expect from a building, then the second floor just hits you with that ghost girl, i can say it got child me in shock lol
    The Chamber of Emptiness is... weird, it just has two items: a spooky plate and a Banettite (which just spawns at a specific time) but it kinda gives a strange vibe, no pokemon, no trainers, only two lonely items.

Yes indeed. It's literally just a random building like any other, but out of nowhere, you get hit with a random ghost girl sequence. As for the other place, that's interesting. I don't think I've ever been inside the Chamber of Emptiness...

I lovelove spooky areas. The Old Chateau in DPPt creeped me the heck out as a kid, that music was so eerie and almost no areas in the series gave me that same feel (even Vermillion's Pokémon Tower). Please bring the creepy areas and music back!

The ghost girl in Lumiose was also really cool. I don't think I thought much about it all or didn't realize what was going on at all at the time of playing, but learning more about it later was interesting. So was the ghost girl in Sword and Shield - was short, but I thoroughly enjoyed that sidequest and hope to see more. As sad as her story was. :<

Back