• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] starters final typing speculation

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2021
    My first instinct is to go with Sobble. I've always liked the water types, plus I love lizards and most amphibious creatures. Never really been a fire-typer before, except with Typhlosion. I loved typhlosion. But I usually picked Totodile becuase I liked alligators/crocodiles better. The other two just don't appeal to me enough. I've never been that much of a fan of monkeys, even though I love the grass types, but if Grookey has a cool evolution, I'll defs go with the Grass type! Though I love bunnies, I'm too afraid that Scorbunny is going to be a fighting type... Hopefully not. I dunno, fire just isn't my game.

Sobble: I have a feeling that Sobble is going to be Water/Ghost, on account that he's able to dissapear, similar to Decidueye. I'm doubting that it'll be any other type, but I think the next most-likely type would be Psychic or Fairy. I'm hoping that he won't be Water/Psychic since there are already so many of them. But I think Ghost typing would be a cool type. But it just adds too many weaknesses.

Grookey: This one could really go any way. I think the most likely types are Grass/Dark or Grass/Fairy. It has a curious personality, so I dunno, it could be dark because of that. Maybe it's a stretch. I think it would be awesome if it turned out to be a steel type. I heckin' love steel types. I be the wooden stick will become a sword in a later evolution. Maybe that'll play into it's type. If that's the case, it'll have a 109% chance of learning leaf blade.

Scorbunny: My my... The tape above the nose gives it away. I hate saying this, but I think we're just going to have to accept that the Pokemon Company cannot resist it at this point: THE FIRE STARTER MUST ALSO HAVE A FIGHTING TYPE!! With every fiber of my being and all the sincerity of my heart, coupled with the fiery passion of a thousand suns, I hope that it will not be cursed to be a fighting type. BUT... We still have room to hope that it'll have a new typing! A couple of members mentioned earlier that having a Fire/Electric type would be interesting and exciting. I'm joining those members! They describe Scorbunny to love running around and being fast. Well, I think most fast creatures are associated with electricity (The Flash, Mas & Menos (DC comics), Cyborg 10 (Cyborg 009)), therefore, I believe that Scorbunny will be our very first Fire/Electric type! But if not, then I'd like it to be Fire/Steel. Obviously. If not, then I'd also love to see a Fire/Fairy.

All-in-all, I'm HYPED for the new games, regardless of whether or not a certain fire type will join the norm of unwanted typing. I've visited England several years ago and stayed there for a couple of years, and I grew to LOVE IT. It'll be fun to see how the Gala region is potentially patterned after the United Kingdom.

Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2019
    I only have ideas for Grookey and Sobble.

My main theory is that Grookey is going to be Grass/Psychic and be based on a court Jester/Harlequin called Barlequin (Barley + Harlequin)
    I also think/ want Sobble to evolve into Water/Dark pokemon based on Robin Hood as it is described as liking to attack while hidden that could develop into creating traps to ambush would be "rich" Pokemon
    (and i know people consider Decidueye as Robin Hood inspired but i personally just see them as a generic dead eye archer)

Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    Scorbunny - Fire Electric. Why? All we know, electric types are fast (sometimes) and Scorbunny has Score in its name, it runs, so its a runner. Runners are fast... Te first starter with that type
    Sobble - Water Fairy? Maybe another thing that we'll hate like fire fighting. So, Water Psychic, Poison or even Normal, the first starter with that type
    Grookey - Grass Fighting or Grass Rock. Why rock? maybe will be something like now it uses a fossil? idk i just wanted other new type for startes :p But Grass Fighting sounds good to me

Years
  • With all the speculation about secondary types, I would find it very funny if they would all just be pure Grass, Fire and Water. It happened before in Gen 2!

Mikachu

Veteren Trainer
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Cali
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Given the 'leaks' I saw earlier today (from 4chan so they're iffy if real but ya know) I think, looking at Sobble's final evolution it would be Water/Steel, so then to keep things balanced in terms of secondaries strong to the ones pokemon that the base starter is strong too, Grookey's would be Grass/Fighting and thus Scrobunny will be Fire/Fairy. Even the appearance of the 'leaks' seems to fit those types mostly (though one could argue Scrobunny's my look fighting if Sobble 's is steel then well, I doubt they would screw over the starter's type advantages to each other but then again they did that with Infernape and Emopleon in gen 4...)

Leaks in the Spoiler below:
    Spoiler:

btw, did any of that make any sense? I'm a tad to tired to tell ^^;

Years
  • Spoiler:

gen 8 looking good
    i mean tbh, i can see the ff.
    sobble - water (yes, pure. don't know. seems to fit sobble right. if not, then psychic or ghost)
    scorbunny - fire/electric (i know, i know. scorbunny may be the new fire/fighting starter but looking at its speed and some yellow stripes, i think it has a chance to be fire/electric)
    Grookey - idk, i can't read what grookey is. maybe grass/dark? grass/fairy?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2022
    Grass - Rock/Ground/Fighting: This is the one I feel most confident in and I'd be shocked if it didn't end up being either of these
    Water - Ghost/Psychic: Ghost because of the trailer, but the chameleon part makes me think Psychic
    Fire - Fighting: I know we've had a few but I feel like we've had one so I won't be too bothered

Of course they could all end up being pure and I wouldn't complain :-}

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • Fire - Fire/Ground or Fire/Steel. Definitely not Fighting, and something to counter Rocks sounds good.

Water - Water/Psychic, Water/Fighting or maybe even Water/Ghost. But if it ends up as Fighting then hopefully that's the last Fighting starter since we already had a bunch.

Grass - Don't know, maybe pure.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • sobble to be water/dragon or water/poison
    scorbunny to be fire/fairy or fire/electric
    grookey to be grass/dark

i would seriously love those typing combinations but knowing GF they'll prob throw us another fire/fighting starter just for the bants

Last edited:

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • Sobble screams Ghost-type with its ability to hide in the water. Scorbunny could be -groans- Fighting-type, but with it having "spark" in its Japanese name, we could see it gain Electric-typing which would be awesome. Grookey could be a Dark-type based on its mischevious tendencies, but plenty of Pokémon have been playful and mischevious without being Dark-type.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • Gonna share my thoughs here since I didn't see this in my prev post:

Given the 'leaks' I saw earlier today (from 4chan so they're iffy if real but ya know) I think, looking at Sobble's final evolution it would be Water/Steel, so then to keep things balanced in terms of secondaries strong to the ones pokemon that the base starter is strong too, Grookey's would be Grass/Fighting and thus Scrobunny will be Fire/Fairy. Even the appearance of the 'leaks' seems to fit those types mostly (though one could argue Scrobunny's my look fighting if Sobble 's is steel then well, I doubt they would screw over the starter's type advantages to each other but then again they did that with Infernape and Emopleon in gen 4...)

Spoiler:

btw, did any of that make any sense? I'm a tad to tired to tell ^^;

I think this is.... a 90% fakie. It actually seemed real, until we go to Grass's evos. Doesn't even look like an animal, let alone the Grass starter. Secondly, I don't think the creators would design a mon like that anyway.

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
    Years
  • I'm really hoping for a Water/Ghost Sobble. >_< It'd be so cool!

Fire/Electric Scorbunny is my secondary hope - I'd like a Pokemon of that Type besides Rotom, and it seems pretty likely for the Bun.

I'm fine with anything for Grookey, but it's sort of giving me Grass/Fighting vibes, or even Grass/Ground. But I don't know - perhaps it'll be pure Grass? Not like there's a rule against that...

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Spoiler:
    Why would Grookey evolve into Ivern? Sure it makes Grass/Rock more plausible but doesn't make sense unless Riot is codeveloping these games.

Realtalk: the Grookey evolution is uncanny-valley humanoid, and the pose is in complete profile, which makes readability awkward and as far as I can think of hasn't been done in any Pokémon art until now (and for good reason)--not to mention his hand behind his rear looks awkward, as if it should be in front like he's resting his hand on his hip. And look at the angle of the paper in each of these pictures, where the dark of the background shows the edge of the page: none of these "Pokémon" are aligned to sit straight on the paper. That's one major print mess-up. And most, if not all, real concept arts come with the entire line together, so the lack of the basic stages is another red flag. I'm more inclined to believe they actually do all become Fighting/Fighting than these.

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2023
    These leaks have already been dismissed months ago. They look exactly like those SM leaks that had Popplio evolve into a creepy clown.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    It would be a ballsy move to finally make another Fire/Electric pokemon, and a starter to boot. However, Water/Dragon for a starter feels a bit too OP.

I'm still gonna go with Psychic for Grookey's final evo, perhaps Ghost for Sobble evo, and Electric or Fairy for Scorbunny :) The Steel looking idea for Sobble evos was cool though! Using the tail as a shield hmm.

JoyStar

We're all mad here...
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2019
    Grooky: Grass/Dark due to being mischievous, or Grass/Rock to go with rock music (the name in other languages references things like tempo)

Scorbunny: Fire/Electric or Fire/Fairy. Leaning toward the latter since we already have a Fire/Electric type in Victini, plus hares have a place in Celtic mythology

Sobble: Leaning towards Water/Ghost, though could be Water/Dragon if they go the Loch Ness Monster route.

Back