• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Steven Universe

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
    Years
    Steven Universe

Steven Universe, a cartoon to be aired by Cartoon Network, follows a young boy with the power of a gem embedded in his stomach. With him are three lovely woman with similar jewels aiding him. The show has yet to be aired, as such not much information has been given out. This thread is more for first impressions and hopes about what the show will bring. So what do you think, who's your favorite character shown so far, what do you expect from it?

NOTE: As the show is released I'll update the information. For now, here's a trailer to give you an idea what's to come.

UPDATES: Apparently Steven is the son of a normal human male and a once solid mystical woman. A comment from Steven's father shares that Steven was spawned when his mother turned into some type of astral being.

UPDATES Prt.2:
    Steven's Gem Weapon has been revealed to be a shield.

Trailer/Promo
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    Rebecca Sugar did a good job when she was a part of the Adventure Time staff, so I'm sure this is gonna be a good show, but I really don't know.. I mean, I'm the one who watches a lot of Cartoon Network programming so I'm probably going to watch the premiere of this show as well on Monday night. I also like how the show seems to have that cosmic feeling to it as well.

Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2022
    So, I just watched the first episode...

Kinda disappointed. The characters are shallow and they released, like, all of the special unique characteristics of them in one go.

Hmmmm... Oh well, first rule of TV: Never judge anything by the first episode.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
    I didn't know Rebecca Sugar made that show. I knew she was working on something but forgot what it was called. Guess it was this. I loved her work in Adventure Time so I may give this a chance based on that thought. I'm not sure though. I'll wait to see what the hype and reviews it gets. If actually becomes big I might give it a chance.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
    I don't think anyone should be expectant of really well thought out characters or episode content because Cartoon Network hasn't produced anything spectacular in a few years apart from Adventure Time. I probably won't be taking any time out of my schedule to watch... any of this. idk it just screams dumber than Adventure Time to me and that's really hard to do. XD

T!M

Years
    I loved this show. I was not disappointed from weeks of build up via trailers and previews. I claim Amethyst in the name of Planet Tim!!

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
    Years
    I don't think anyone should be expectant of really well thought out characters or episode content because Cartoon Network hasn't produced anything spectacular in a few years apart from Adventure Time.

Oh-ho-ho no... don't you go there bro. *waggles finger* Hahaha, I'm just teasing a bit, but a handful of Cartoon Network's current lineup could be considered a masterpiece compared to the stuff that preceded it. Remember those cartoons in the mid aughts when everyone was YELLING ALL THEIR LINES ALL THE TIME.

Ok, so in some cases they still do that. Heck, the titular character in Steven Universe is guilty of that. :\ Well, at least the mentally challenged character trope seems to be dying off.

Steven Universe, tho. If its worst sin is listening to Rebecca Sugar croon before the show begins, then its already off to a good start with me. I admit there's times I really want to smack Steven, but I love that he's harmless and is just a kid (as opposed to there being a caveat like Johnny Test. He's a kid, but he's got an extreme wacky talking dog and wacky genius twin sisters and they go on extreme wacky adventures. Barf). I also appreciate that it's the first CN show 100% created by a woman. Even though other shows have female writers, it's good to have different perspectives.

I do think the fem-gems are flat-ish in character. I'm sure that more development will come through as the series progresses, so I'm not concerned yet, but we'll see. I like, uh... the leader's(?) dryness. She's the only one who's name I can't remember, oddly. You can never really tell what she's feeling but she's not always serious, either. I can see Amethyst being a fan favorite, I already like her the most. Overall, though, I'm enjoying the female leads (don't I always?) and the fact that Steven genuinely looks up to them without being "eww girls" or bravado machismo man. I can't stress enough how much I appreciate the crew writing Steven as someone's sweet little brother. Annoying as he can become in his Eek the Cat like good intentions, it's very heartwarming.

So, I'll be watching. Not like Antemortem. He's too cool for cartoons. XP (Again, I jest. I can't ever tell here, heh)

ETA: Frybo episode! I found when the other boy (not Steven) start talking about how jobs only give you cash, but that cash can't give you back what the job takes from you, to be pretty close to home with me. Pretty deep coming from a kid (I'm well aware adults write for these shows, I am one). I've always been one who'd rather have more time than money for starters, but a bum job isn't worth whatever they're paying you, even if it's supposedly "doing what you love" or "what you're good at", but I've had some not-wonderful experiences.

It was a really good episode that played around with other characters that weren't the gems. In fact, I liked that the only main characters were Steven and Pearl. I hope they continue to make good use of their secondaries to expand and flesh out the world.

Last edited:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    Am I the only one who actually likes this show? ): It's fun and stuff! I just love the characters, I don't know, but maybe Dave is right about nothing being spectacular on Cartoon Network lately.

I don't know, just give it a chance!

T!M

Years
    Am I the only one who actually likes this show? ):

Hell naw, sis. Another die-hard fan right here. This show is so fun, entertaining and the characters are really cool. I record each episode on Monday via xfinity.

People just gotta recognize that... If every Porkchop were perfect, we wouldn't have hotdogs, amirite?

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
    Years
    *raise finger and opens mouth* ...

I see people still aren't reading anything I write. Excellent. I just complimented the show, and then... I mean... I... ugh. I really don't want to turn this into a discussion of why I don't think Cartoon Network is any worse (you're probably just getting older... which isn't an excuse because then I'd be up there with you. Tastes probably changed then), but I'll just leave it at that being a bold claim.

So, how about that Frybo episode? Did no one else get anything from that?

T!M

Years
    I only got a lot of creeps from that episode. But it did make me have a new appreciation for Pearl. Not that I didn't like her to begin with, nor Garnet. But as soon as I saw Amethyst I was like:

Steven Universe

RIGHT THERE.

Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2014
    I thought it was ridiculous but I guess that it's better than I thought. But I hate the dad. I still think it's ridiculous, but I still kind of like it. I think I'm just getting older. I don't think that it'll replace my total drama obsession.

Back