• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sticky web

Pacifist

Its a Destiny
Years
    • Seen May 25, 2014
    Well, the new move "Sticky web" is a new entry hazard that lowers the speed of every opponent Pokemon that hits the ground, this move is most likely going to affect a lot competitive battling.

Whats your opinion about this new move?

Personally i dislike it quite a lot and i think its a really annoying move so i really doubt i will ever use that move but i am not sure how i feel about a possible ban for it.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
    Years
  • I don't think the move should be banned at all. It may be annoying, but it doesn't involve hax or anything luck-based. Some Pokemon do actually benefit from Sticky Web, such as those who use Gyro Ball, or have the Defiant, Competitive or Contrary Ability, which all boost stats thanks to Sticky Web.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    It may be more debatable without Defog but since Defog got buffed people literally dont have a leg to stand on when moaning (not saying you are, specifically) about hazards anymore.

Pokedra

Retired
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2016
    Haven't found it that bad in the least; it renders most Scarfers useless but Defog/Rapid Spin and the fact Levitators/fliers avoid it helps. I think it's a pretty good addition to the game; plus limited availability hurts it (Ariados sucks).

Years
    • PR
    • Seen Sep 16, 2014
    I use it in Free Battle and even with the low number of opposing pokemon, it has won me a lot of games. Even with this I don't think it will be as impactful as Stealth Rock, there's just to many pokemon who don't care about a speed drop and there's a lot of pokemon unaffected by it. Not to mention that if you're planning to run Sticky Web you have to use pokemon like Galvantula and Ariados which could be a liability for your team.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I use it in Free Battle and even with the low number of opposing pokemon, it has won me a lot of games. Even with this I don't think it will be as impactful as Stealth Rock, there's just to many pokemon who don't care about a speed drop and there's a lot of pokemon unaffected by it. Not to mention that if you're planning to run Sticky Web you have to use pokemon like Galvantula and Ariados which could be a liability for your team.

I disagree about Galvantula being a liability. 97 Special Attack is just enough to let it hurt the Pokemon immune to Sticky Web (mainly Fliers) hard with Thunder. It also has high Speed to help it go first.

Years
    • PR
    • Seen Sep 16, 2014
    I disagree about Galvantula being a liability. 97 Special Attack is just enough to let it hurt the Pokemon immune to Sticky Web (mainly Fliers) hard with Thunder. It also has high Speed to help it go first.

You don't need to be immune to Sticky Web to counter Galvantula you just simply must be a counter to Galvantula. The speed drop from Sticky Web only takes on effect after Sticky Web has been placed, with this in mind you could do a lot of things, bring in a faster counter to kill Galvantula, force a switch or bring in a pokemon like Heatran and set up Stealth Rock.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • You don't need to be immune to Sticky Web to counter Galvantula you just simply must be a counter to Galvantula. The speed drop from Sticky Web only takes on effect after Sticky Web has been placed, with this in mind you could do a lot of things, bring in a faster counter to kill Galvantula, force a switch or bring in a pokemon like Heatran and set up Stealth Rock.

Simply put, Pokemon that aren't bothered by Sticky Web (slower walls for example) do check/counter Galvantula. Remember that Sticky Web slows down faster Galvantula switch-ins, and Galvantula can Volt Switch out to a counter that can deal with its counter.

Years
    • PR
    • Seen Sep 16, 2014
    Simply put, Pokemon that aren't bothered by Sticky Web (slower walls for example) do check/counter Galvantula. Remember that Sticky Web slows down faster Galvantula switch-ins, and Galvantula can Volt Switch out to a counter that can deal with its counter.

Sticky Web doesn't slow down the pokemon that switch in to counter Galvantula if Galvantula is using Sticky Web that turn. During the turn Galvantula uses Sticky Web even if the opponent switches to a Galvantula counter, the Sticky Web will only be set after the switch in so there's no speed drop.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    I love this move. I've discussed this with a good chap sometime back in the PC Showdown Server, and I should say it is a really nice way to ruin setup sweeps and even Scarfers. The problem is that it is viable to both sides yet the one who makes better utility of it will win. Yes, in that aspect you can consider this move Game-changing stuff. I believe that if you can combine this with slow Pokémon, you may get better results. For one, if you've webbed the opponent suddenly your Pokémon seem faster. If you've been webbed that makes it easier for your stalls/whatever you've planned. Even Gyro Ball is a major threat now.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Sticky Web doesn't slow down the pokemon that switch in to counter Galvantula if Galvantula is using Sticky Web that turn. During the turn Galvantula uses Sticky Web even if the opponent switches to a Galvantula counter, the Sticky Web will only be set after the switch in so there's no speed drop.

I think you're completely missing the point of what PlatinumDude is talking about. Once Galvantula has set up Sticky Web (which should be successful unless the opponent switches in someone with Magic Bounce), you could either switch out immediately if the opponent switches in something that threatens Galvantula or you could attack, whichever deems fit. You would be, excuse me for the poor choice of word, a moron if you make Galvantula stay in against something that could outspeed and OHKO it.

Last edited:
    Years
    • PR
    • Seen Sep 16, 2014
    I think you're completely missing the point of what PlatinumDude is talking about. Once Galvantula has set up Sticky Web (which should be successful unless the opponent switches in someone with Magic Bounce), you could either switch out immediately if the opponent switches in something that threatens Galvantula or you could attack, whichever deems fit. You would be, excuse me for the poor choice of word, a moron if you make Galvantula stay in against something that could outspeed and OHKO it.

I was speaking specifically about the turn the Web is set up and like I said in the post previous to the one you quoted, the opponent has a lot of options during that turn to either set up themselves, kill it if it wishes to stay, force a switch or even bring in a spinner like Donphan or Excadrill now that I think about it.

You also have to take in consideration the fact that if Galvantula isn't a lead, its gonna have a hard time switching in unlike common pokemon who use entry hazards like Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Tentacruel, Tyranitar, etc. Those pokes can take hits on the switch unlike Galvantula so that right there is another con to using the spider.

I've seen a lot of people say Shuckle is just better, I haven't seen any videos of people using it and I haven't myself so Im still unsure about that.

SilverCrown

Fired Up!
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 6, 2022
    Ran into a Smeargle with sticky web, toxic spikes and stealth rock. Managed to get all three setup on me because it was holding a focus sash, and unfortunately I didn't have a rapid spinner to get rid of them. Needless to say, I lost. But it was a pretty decent fight.

Can't stand Smeargle though. :(

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • I love Sticky Web. It is a balanced ability, but is easy to counter and Forces you to uses Specific Pokemon to run it.

Rapid spin, OR also using Sticky web nullifies the effect.

Back