• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Stroking Pokemon In Battle

Jaybob

\/Chat down there\/
Years
  • Okay, so I'm not too sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes.

I'm currently in the Battle Chateaux with my Sylveon. I've maxed out it's affection on the Pokemon Amie thing so it kind of communicates with you in battle about how it's feeling and such.

During a battle I was bored waiting so I started dragging the stylus side to side on the touch screen while I waited for the opponents pokemon to faint, and suddenly before I got the experience a hand appeared and started stroking my sylveon which then released a lot of hearts.

Does anyone know what this is about? I tried it with my Vulpix who hasn't been used on the Pokemon Amie system and it didn't work?

Years
  • From what I know, petting your pokemon only works after defeating the opponent's pokemon BUT this will only happen on those pokemons with maxed affection on Pokemon Amie.

Years
  • Hello,
    This is a moderately known thing. When your pokemon has 3 hearts affection or more, you can stroke it in-battle. From what you are saying, it seems you rack "affection points" by doing so since : lots of hearts = affection level up.
    I only ever had one heart pop out of my pokemon, in-battle. I didn't know if it had any effect at all and was just an endearing animation.
    Has any one else had their pokemon gain an affection level this way?

Jaybob

\/Chat down there\/
    Years
  • It's odd because Sylveons completely maxed out already, and I only noticed it out the corner of my eye while I was waiting for the battle to end! Perhaps I'll try getting my Vulpix to 3 hearts and try it that way :)

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    I never noticed it. It's probably just another way of showing your pokemon affection besides Pokemon-a-mie. I think its good that GameFreak has added ways tfor trainers to communicate more with their pokemon in battle. Makes the whole thing seem more realistic.

Sleeping Eevee

Let Sleeping Eves Lie
    Years
  • I feel like this is for affection in Pokemon Amie, but probably not. It was probably something in the game added so trainers could show that they're proud of them, especially since the message "That's it! I knew you could do it!" pops up before you can stroke them.
    And you know, sometimes after a battle in the Anime, Ash would cheer out how proud he was of his Pokemon in that battle.

Back