• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Struggles?

Drakio

The next youngster Joey!
    Years
    Hey, so this thread is about what was the most difficult pokemon for you to train. In other words what pokemon did you struggle with leveling up or making it stronger.

Mine were dratini, because you normally receive him close to the end of the stories, and you normally get him at lv 10 when you get him from the game corner and his stats and moves a re not good, but once he evolves he is no problem. And my last one was deino, I struggled so much with training him for about the same reasons, and in the high level training areas there would be steel and fighting types so him moves would not work too well, and he would get a lot of damage done on him, but he is worth it.

So tell me about your struggles.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2017
    Chansey. That thing couldn't kill anything for crap. I eventually just gave up and used the EXP Share.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    Anything I bothered training?

Aron line and all pseudo-legendaries. They really suck when they first start out, low speed, killed easily compared to everything else. But in the end, it's worth it. I think Beldum was hardest for me, since it only learns Take Down until level 30 or whatever it was.

Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Nov 5, 2011
    ... Magikarp and Unown wins hand down ...
    Specially if the second have a Ghost HP ...

Yambo

Power Seeker
    Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2019
    Ditto changes to the pokemon you face never ends well x)

blue

gucci
    Years
    Pokémon with weak attack/defence is always a challenge... naturally i.e Sunkern, Ledyba, Spinirak etc. but it's worth it in the end!

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Ditto, Emolga (worth it though, seriously), Unown, Delibird (I couldn't make that thing work for me at all though, seriously), Chansey/Blissey, Solosis, all pesudo legendaries (especially Axew and Larvitar), Shroomish (wanted Spore lol), there are a lot. It's especially difficult in NFE challenges, or when you do something that requires you to keep the lowest part of an evolutionary line for a long time.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    My Cradily. Took me forever to get her to level 100 but I feel like it was worth it. I ended up giving her 3 rare candies when I got her to level 97.

Raizhu

the end
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2012
    Pikachu in the original games. Dratini in SoulSilver. At least both of them paid off once they evolved.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I had a tough time with Deino in Black. It took forever to get it all the way to level 64 and before it evolved into Zweilous, I had to keep resetting the game and waste a bunch of Full Restores because Deino died to pretty much any attack.

Years
    I had a tough time with Deino in Black. It took forever to get it all the way to level 64 and before it evolved into Zweilous, I had to keep resetting the game and waste a bunch of Full Restores because Deino died to pretty much any attack.

Oh, yeah. Deino is sooooo hard to raise cos it's not until Level 64 that it finally becomes Hydreigon. I caught a female Deino, decided to train it and after finishing the game, she eventually evolve into Hydreigon so it was really worth it!

And as for why you say it gets knocked out easily, it packs 4 weaknesses (Fighting, Bug, Dragon, Ice) so no wonder it's hard to train!

When I first got my Blitzle, I struggled with training her as she kept getting knocked out by Pokemon that are even lower in level than she is. But I never gave up and she's a now a mighty Zebstrika!

Last edited:

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    Hellooooooooo, Tynamo! It doesn't even have the excuse of Magikarp of not learning Tackle till Lv 15, but nearly every time I tried to train it to get it to evolve, it would die within one hit. I'm not entirely sure why I wanted an Eelektross so badly, but I guess it was worth it in the end.

dozo

party hardy
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2014
    Hellooooooooo, Tynamo! It doesn't even have the excuse of Magikarp of not learning Tackle till Lv 15, but nearly every time I tried to train it to get it to evolve, it would die within one hit. I'm not entirely sure why I wanted an Eelektross so badly, but I guess it was worth it in the end.

My problem as well with Tynamo.

Also, for some reason, starters have become difficult for me to train. I always told myself I would never be one of those people that shove their starters in the box (because I used to use them the whole game), but now I am. ;_;

Drakio

The next youngster Joey!
    Years
    ... Magikarp and Unown wins hand down ...
    Specially if the second have a Ghost HP ...

I don't think that Magikarp are that bad because they evolve a an early level (lv 20 is not high at all) and they do not require much exp to level up so they level up quite quickly, so they are not that much trouble.

Pikachu in the original games. Dratini in SoulSilver. At least both of them paid off once they evolved.

How was pikachu hard to raise in any games, I had no trouble with him, he also learned moves at low levels, but a lot of his moves were stat base so you had to fight smart to make his thunder shock deadly. But Dratini is hard to raise to, not just in soul silver but in all of the games. Here are the moves that I had mine have when I got him at level 10, wrap, head butt, thunder wave, and I think leer. I used a TM to get him to learn Head Butt, but this helped me and I did not struggle as much with him when he had these moves, you should try it out Raizhu, it might help.

Last edited:

Snivy063

Banned
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jul 16, 2012
    I could actually remember training a Magikarp, I had a tough time evolving it into a Gyarados seeing it has weak moveset, so I used EXP share. It took me a lot of time. :'x

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
    Training a new Pokemon midgame (with the rest of your team at high enough levels) without an Exp Share is the most difficult thing I had done.

d4rk

Oh my Arceus!
    Years
    I had lot of trouble with Marill because this poor little thing uses rock attacks and has same special than Rattatta. Maybe I'll turn it Water/Rock type in my hack, so it could be more useful.

Back