• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

7th Gen Tapu Koko is the Most Frustrating Pokemon to Catch

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2020
    OMG, Tapu Koko is very hard to catch and it has a capture of 3. I had to beat the league to actually battle him and try to catch him. I had to put the Synchronize Pokemon first in the slot and then I have to beat the league again if I failed to catch to Tapu Koko with the preferred nature.

So I have to save before battling the champion and then try to win but his Braviary is very good.

I learned something, either sacrifice the master ball for Tapu Koko or it's going to be real bad.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • All the Tapus have the same catch rate.
    I never had much problem with all of them.
    Only hate having to travel through Haina Desert to get the Bulu.

Years
  • I caught Tapu Koko in the required battle that happens after the credits, and while I'm proud to now have Melemele's guardian on my side, I do agree that it was frustrating to catch. I ended up burning well over 20 balls on it, which is a huge reason why I hate Pokemon with a catch rate of 3, because they usually end up trying to be impossible to catch without a Master Ball.

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2020
    I caught Tapu Koko in the required battle that happens after the credits, and while I'm proud to now have Melemele's guardian on my side, I do agree that it was frustrating to catch. I ended up burning well over 20 balls on it, which is a huge reason why I hate Pokemon with a catch rate of 3, because they usually end up trying to be impossible to catch without a Master Ball.

Have you tried inflicting it with either Paralysis or Sleep?

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Was Koko really that hard? I just got him to half health and caught him with a single Ultra Ball. I thought the catch rate was the same as XYBW Legends, and just a Catch Rate of 3 or whatever after that encounter.

I had a bit of trouble with some of the other Tapus other than the pink one who I caught with a single quick ball. Fifi was by far the most annoying for me.

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2020
    Tapu Koko is an Electric-type so paralysis is obviously not an option since the type is immune to it.

My bad, I didn't think about Electric being immune to paralysis.
    For sleeping just change the terrain or wait till the electric terrain goes away.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2016
    After burning 15 Ultra Balls I threw a Fast Ball out on a whim and caught it. XD

Years
  • Well Tapu Koko is not very interesting to me since I use Electric Terrain back in X and Y, but I wish I knew that we could catch him later but eh.. I'm more interested in Tapu Lele and it's aaaaaggggaaaaahhh!!!!! Just get in the HEAL BALL/MOON BALL!!! >/

Years
  • The best solution I know of really, is to always use Dusk Balls in lieu of Ultra Balls, as Dusk Balls have a catch rate of x3.5 (provided they are used during night hours or within a cave), which is greatly superior to the Ultra Ball's rate of x2. The ruins where the Tapu's are located are counted as being inside of a cave, so Dusk Balls should work fine, increasing the chances.

It's also a good idea to always have Timer Balls on inventory (which I find to be severely underrated). Timer Balls reach the maximum cap of a rate of x4 at eleven turns, making them more useful than Dusk Balls after a designated time.

Net Balls have been buffed to x3.5 for this generation, so alternatively they can be used on Tapu Fini.

It is really all entirely luck based, but the pain and annoyance of it all can be eased with the corresponding Poke Ball for it.

I also always throw a Quick Ball at the start of any legendary encounter, since x5 is a very high rate of capture and can end the battle prematurely. This does not always work however, but when it does, it is satisfying.

Sgt. Heracross

I Heracross my heart that I'm better than the rest
    Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    Tapu Lele was the frustrating one for me. That adorable little monstrosity cost me my Master Ball. What stings even more is the fact that the other 3 Tapus were relatively easy for me to catch.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
  • I couldn't catch Tapu Koko during the end credits, but I had no trouble with it during the postgame. Having a ground-type and a Pokémon with False Swipe helps a lot.
    The one that gave me trouble was Tapu Fini. I hate legendaries that heal themselves :/ .

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    Would this be a bad time to say I caught it with one Quick Ball during the Post Credits battle?

As for the other Tapu, I either again use Quick Balls (resetting if it fails) or just paralyzing and hucking Dusk Balls with low health

Used my Master Ball on Fini due to Aqua Ring being a headache

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2016
    I feel that catching the legendaries in this game was way too easy, especially the the ultra beasts. But that could be my experience.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I just managed to get its health down to the red and caught it after a dozen Ultra Balls. Haven't attempted the other three just yet but maybe I got lucky with Tapu Koko.

Ultimo Spriter

I'm back ...
    Years
  • I found it easier to catch then Lunala. Forgot about the ground weakness and hit it with an Earth Power bringing it to like 1 HP and then just chucked a Premier Ball and got it straight away :S
    Sounds like I should probably stock up on Premiers for the others then.

Back