• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Contest: Team Hack-off II: Progress Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020

PokéCommunity Team Hack-off II

Introduction

Welcome to PokéCommunity's second official Team Hack-off! Participants were assigned to teams, and will have two months to plan, prepare and release a playable hack. This thread will be used for Coordinators of all teams to post their progress every Checkpoint. Anyone may post to comment on these progress updates!

How to sign up

There are still a few positions left and some inactive members need to be replaced. If you want to join, simply fill in this application form and post it here!
    Username/name: your username and your real name or nickname
    Preferred contact method: it could be the forums, IRC, Skype, or any other messaging client
    Role: you may pick one or two roles
    Skills: additional skills you have related to all of the listed roles
    Experience: how experienced you are on each of your skills listed above, and also on your role (on a scale from 1-10)

Team roles

Coordinator: this member will be in charge of the team and putting everything together. They will be making sure the weekly requirements are completed in time and will be posting the updates.
    Hacker: tiles, sprites pokémon data, titlescreen, world map editing, and many more.
    Mapper: bring the hack's region to life by making the maps.
    Scripter: script storyline and other events, or even side quests, or create exciting new features with ASM.
    Artist: create new tiles or sprites, giving the hack a unique look.
    Writer: write the hack's main story, events and dialogue.
    Composer: make your team's hack stand out even more with custom music.
    Tester: test the hack and give feedback on its features and progress.

Schedule

The last competition was planned to be only two months long, and was extended by two weeks in order for the hacks to actually get progress done and finish things. This time, the Hack-off will be three months long, so that there won't be any pressure with time, and requirements for each Checkpoint (explained below) will help to ensure teams do not stay behind.
    • Sign-ups (Jul 1 - Jul 20): Members may sign up and will be assigned to teams. The size and number of teams will depend on the number of the participants.
    • Brainstorming (Jul 21 - Jul 31): Teams will decide on their hack's setting, region and story. Teams will have their own threads in the ROM Hacking Hub to discuss these, and can also do so in Skype group conversations, IRC channels, or other chat rooms.
    • Hacking (Aug 1 - Sep 20): Teams will then get started on their hacks. Every 10 days there will be a Checkpoint, where the Coordinators will post updates on their progress in a separate thread. There will be progress requirements that will have to be met for each Checkpoint.
    • Testing (Sep 21 - Sep 31): The teams will finish their hacks and do some final polishing on them, and also test them for any bugs.

Teams

Team One
    Lost Heart
    DarkPsychic
    WobbuffetWynaut
    HavocGaming
    Sensual
    PKMDfan
    DizzyEgg
    eps112
    xGal
    gio7sm
    Team Three
    LuxrayHacker
    ~Ruk! Romhacker
    Controversial?
    Sceptile90
    BlackStorm20x
    DyingWillFlareon
    HippoSucks
    MrDrPants
    AshShadow
    Team Two
    FBI agent
    Domad4444
    Jilly Shears
    joexv
    Johto_legend
    RayZax
    Splash
    Zekrom The Hedgehog
    PlayGameTom
    Superjolt
    Team Four
    Mana
    pokemon r
    IceFire123
    anonyboy
    trenhoj
    slashtiki
    demingiscool
    JaDe.X105
    ShaunBwoof

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020

Checkpoint 1

It's brainstorming time! A team member may post a thread in the ROM Hacking Hub section titled "Hack-off II: Team #", where the team can discuss about the hack. As Skype was the most popular contact method in the sign ups, Skype group conversations can be made for each team. Coordinators of each team can create one and add all the team members.

By the first of August, coordinators will have to post here in this thread with the following:

General Information
    Hack name
    Hack of
    Storyline
    Features​

Region
    Name and description
    Graphical style (changed palettes, new trees...)
    Towns/cities to be included in the release (around 3-4, e.g. port town, big city, tropical village...)
    Landmarks to be included in the release (around 2-3, e.g. forest, cave, special building...)​

Story
    Description of starting events + starter pokémon
    Other events to be included in the release (getting the pokédex, encountering the evil team...)​

The above should also be part of the first post in the individual team threads.

If anyone has problems with their team or with being a coordinator, please let me know. Spherical Ice and I will be assisting two teams each to make sure things are done on time.

Last edited:

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
  • zzz, can't send PM to more than 5 users at once. Team 2, fbi.agent7 is my skype. Add me, tell me who you are sometime in the next couple of days and we can see where this goes from there ^^

ShockHERO

#TeamSonia Member
    Years
  • If anyone in our team needs my skype. It's sonicsoulfighterz. You'll know it's because of who I have as my avatar.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    I agree with DJG, this looks cool :)
    I'm quite tempted to participate in the next one. haha

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
    Years
  • You can still sign up! There are inactive members that need to be replaced.

Username/name: Joexv
    Preferred contact method: Skype, PM or VM on here
    Role: Hacker
    Skills: I can insert a many types of title screens, and other graphics.
    Basically this: Hacker: tiles, sprites pokémon data, titlescreen, world map editing, and many more
    Experience: Graphics(tiles,titlescreens, etc) Inserting 9/10, Titlescreen Creation 6/10, Scripting 7/10, mapping 7/10, ASM 4/10, Story 2/10.

I wasnt gonna sign up originally since Im kinda busy, but if there is really a need for people who can do graphics inserting I can do that.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    Username/name: Joexv
    Preferred contact method: Skype, PM or VM on here
    Skills: I can insert a many types of title screens, and other graphics.
    Basically this: Hacker: tiles, sprites pokémon data, titlescreen, world map editing, and many more
    Experience: Graphics(tiles,titlescreens, etc) Inserting 9/10, Titlescreen Creation 6/10, Scripting 7/10, mapping 7/10, ASM 4/10, Story 2/10.

I wasnt gonna sign up originally since Im kinda busy, but if there is really a need for people who can do graphics inserting I can do that.

Great, there's a team with no hackers and could really use one. You're in Team Two!

Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2016
    Username/name: mymycool9, Mayo
    Preferred contact method: Skype or on forums
    Skills: I can do basic 'hacking' such as Pokemon sprites/data, titlescreen and some graphics
    Experience: 6.5/10

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back