• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Team Yell - Opinions?

Quiji

Shining
Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2021
    I think that the grunts look odd, but that's probably on purpose since grunts in recent games have been nothing but senseless goons anyway. I'm simply interested in finding out who leads them.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I kinda withheld talking about these guys, since my initial reaction was that I don't really care about them.

That's still mostly my opinion, I kinda miss actually being even slightly intimated by the "evil" teams, so I'm really hoping Team Yell isn't the sole antag in these games.
    (That's pretty unlikely anyway, since most games have a bigger evil of sorts, but still. oof @ yell)

Even if Team Rocket's duo were silly, at least the rest of the team and Giovanni had kind of an eerie feeling about them, but some of the recent teams have been... mostly just Weird.

Guess we'll see what happens.

Last edited:

Lucifer

Fallen1
    Years
  • Meh.
    Not feeling these guys based on that limited information.

The name alone, 'Yell' feels like a desperate grasp at straws for something intimidating after having used so many at this point and the objective of sabotaging the league in favor of one competitor sounds like a petty teenage scandal one would see in a high school drama.

Hopefully, this is just a secondary objective or this isn't the primary antagonist team.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Hopefully, this is just a secondary objective or this isn't the primary antagonist team.
    So my uncle who totally works at Nintendo has told me that the true villain team for Sword & Shield is Team Dexit, whose goal is to get every single non-Galar Pokemon out of the Galar region. They are lead by a Boris Johnson look-alike, and Team Yell is an organization created by Team Dexit to distract the people of the Galar region from Team Dexit's activities and spread misinformation about the ramifications of deporting all non-Galarians. Marnie is unaware of the true nature of this apparent fan club of hers.

The player seeks out Zacian/Zamanzenta, Pokemon of legend said to be able to protect the Galar region from evil, and eventually catches them. The player then does battle with Boris Johnson, but is defeated by the unexpected and overwhelming power of Boris' Eternatus (rumored to be another legendary Pokemon of the Galar region).

After their defeat, the player learns that Zacian's/Zamanzenta's true purpose is to guide a hero to Milkshakenus, the only Pokemon with the power to stop Johnson and Eternatus. The player gains the aid of Milkshakenus, and with it, defeats Team Dexit once and for all in a climactic and dairy-filled fashion.

or so my uncle who totally works for Nintendo says

Last edited:

Commander Saturn

Information Broker
    Years
  • Hopefully this isn't too old to bump, but I was so curious as to what others thought of this Team and I didn't want to clutter with a new posting.
    The overall story seemed rushed to me, so it makes sense that the Team wasn't 'evil' or more worthwhile than what we got. I was rather disappointed overall, and kind of feel like I was gypped out of what is usually my favourite part of the games.

Years
  • I'm genuinely impressed that GF managed to introduce a team even MORE boring and generic than Team Flare. Their intents aren't even that malicious. They just want Marnie to become champion and are willing to do what it takes to help her get there.

Though I did like that they started cheering for you after awhile.

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2020
    I mean, Team Yell aren't the primary antagonists of the game imo. Macro Cosmos are, and... yeah, MC were pretty rushed, but TY actively help you towards the end of the game, so I don't even consider them "bad guys". Just football hooligan-type characters who are wayyyy too into supporting their favourite trainer, which is pretty endearing.

the sloth

is loafing around
    Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2020
    WHY DIDN'T THEY NAME THEM TEAM SCREAM THE WORDPLAY WAS RIGHT THERE WHO WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS

... Ahem, anyways! Team Yell was pretty much a watered-down Team Skull. It felt like the writers were trying to get lightning to strike twice after seeing how much people generally liked Skull for their charm. They're more of a slight obstacle than an actual threat, which means they don't turn up too much in the story and actually halt your progress less than the supporting cast. But it also means they're kind of one-note. Skull counteracted this with Guzma and the machinations of Lusamine behind the scenes, but Yell's plot kinda just... ends after the Spikemuth Gym, and doesn't amount to more than what had been established prior; they're Marnie's groupies and want Spikemuth to get recognition. They don't even really have a leader per say. There's Marnie, who actively doesn't want them causing trouble, and Piers, who seems indifferent at most and you fight him just to get the badge. Any complexity concerning Team Yell begins and ends with Piers, who's a much more interesting character than his groupies tbh. Every other Evil Team in the series prior feel like they had more menace, more heart, and/or more intrigue in some form or fashion, unfortunately.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I don't think they should have been given the title of team. Team skull is the most unorganized team we've seen so far, but there was still enough there to call them a team. Team yell is not a team or any form of an organized group. They're just fans/groupies/supporters/cheerleaders. I think Game Freak should of just dropped the whole team thing this time around. Really there wasn't a team in these games. If you want to count Macro Cosmos I guess you could, but they were more like a company like the Aether Foundation.

Lucifer

Fallen1
    Years
  • As I am nearing the game's climax, I have found Team Yell to be as underwhelming as I anticipated.

They're entirely useless. All they'd accomplished by mostly only blocking routes we don't need until after we beat a gym is to maintain the required gym order. They didn't hinder us at all or for that matter gain Marnie any kind of advantage.

The reveal that they're gym trainers using their own gym to entirely halt a challenger's progress had potential but was lacking in proper development.

What would have made them more effective and more interesting is if they'd employed a similar format to the quizzes in Opal's gym in that they're there during your gym battles to distract you which causes accuracy and speed losses.
    Then to ice it, have Piers be the orchestrator of the entire thing including using unfair tactics in his own gym battles (i.e reducing the amount of D-max power in his gym so it's only enough for him) to give Spikemuth an intentionally dirty gym characterization that would have been brilliantly unique.

So my uncle who totally works at Nintendo has told me that the true villain team for Sword & Shield is Team Dexit, whose goal is to get every single non-Galar Pokemon out of the Galar region. They are lead by a Boris Johnson look-alike, and Team Yell is an organization created by Team Dexit to distract the people of the Galar region from Team Dexit's activities and spread misinformation about the ramifications of deporting all non-Galarians. Marnie is unaware of the true nature of this apparent fan club of hers.

The player seeks out Zacian/Zamanzenta, Pokemon of legend said to be able to protect the Galar region from evil, and eventually catches them. The player then does battle with Boris Johnson, but is defeated by the unexpected and overwhelming power of Boris' Eternatus (rumored to be another legendary Pokemon of the Galar region).

After their defeat, the player learns that Zacian's/Zamanzenta's true purpose is to guide a hero to Milkshakenus, the only Pokemon with the power to stop Johnson and Eternatus. The player gains the aid of Milkshakenus, and with it, defeats Team Dexit once and for all in a climactic and dairy-filled fashion.

or so my uncle who totally works for Nintendo says

Wow, very well thought out. If only this has been the antgonistic plot.
    It still wouldn't have topped Teams Rocket and Plasma IMO but still would have been much better than Team Yell.

Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2021
    I prefer out and out honest to goodness Pokemon terrorist/mafia teams. The fact is, remove Yell and the game doesn't alter at all.

Back