• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

teen angst

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    way too often i hear kids my age fabricating this background of "struggle" for themselves and comparing their over-exaggerated situations with other kids, going back and forth like life is some sort of misery contest.

despite having experienced some things in my own life that people like those in the above conversation would morph into something horribly traumatic, i can't find much to complain about. the truth is, while some kids are really in tough situations, a lot of people try to make their lives out to be far worse than they actually have it. why do you think that is? why don't privileged young people realize the very fortunate conditions they're living in and appreciate the opportunities they have? the only theory i can think of that explains how unhappiness is something one would strut around is the idea that a well-developed character is defined by experiencing and overcoming adversity...which is a rather distorted way of viewing things, but perhaps that's how some kids want to be perceived because of that subconscious notion. what do you think?

Last edited:

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
    way too often i hear kids my age fabricating this background of "struggle" for themselves and comparing their over-exaggerated situations with other kids, going back and forth like life is some sort of misery contest.

an example of what i'm talking about:

despite having experienced some things in my own life that people like those in the above conversation would morph into something horribly traumatic, i can't find much to complain about. the truth is, while some kids are really in tough situations, a lot of people try to make their lives out to be far worse than they actually have it. why do you think that is? why don't privileged young people realize the very fortunate conditions they're living in and appreciate the opportunities they have? the only theory i can think of that explains how unhappiness is something one would strut around is the idea that a well-developed character is defined by experiencing and overcoming adversity...which is a rather distorted way of viewing things, but perhaps that's how some kids want to be perceived because of that subconscious notion. what do you think?

I wouldn't say it's about overcoming adversity... moreso a cry for attention, along with (taking into account the "struggle war" you posted) the old phrase "misery loves company". Most forms of rebellion are, in fact, cries for attention, whether it positive (Lady Gaga sure as hell ain't depressed or abused), or negative, such as those you quoted.

So I guess my theory on this subject is attention-getting. If someone says they have a PhD in Quantum Physics, which is quite a feat in and of itself, you may be impressed, but its forgettable. However, if someone says they almost died X times, tried to commit suicide Y times, and are abused by Z amount of people, it raises people's eyebrows just a smidgen more.

It's not about overcoming adversity, as a number of the angsty people (the hardcore, not the recreational angsters) succumb to drugs and basically life-killing acts that demolish one's character. I think it's something far different... a desire for pity, perhaps (which is, of course, just another sub-genre of attention-getting). Also perhaps camaraderie, the feeling of fitting in with a group, even if its the group of the abused and depressed (this one's dangerous, as people in this state tend to be rather suggestible by their peers).

I wrote a haiku years ago about this kind of stuff. I called it Angst, and I'll reprint it below:

Angst

By Richard Lynch

New pack of razors.
    Strugg'ling with the cellophane.
    It's always something!

I think this basically sums up the angst/depressed/suicidal movement in this country.

Pumpkin Fields

King of Carrot Flowers
    Years
    Being miserable and angry at the world is an important part of being a teenager. :P
    In all seriousness, I would imagine it would be a combination of raging hormones and lack of experience in the real world. Things seem a hell of a lot worse when you don't know how bad they can really get. Wacky hormones just exploit that and turn typical frustration into mind numbing rage and loneliness.

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    Teens aren't the only ones that do that, either, sadly. Folks my age and older do it too. You can't say anything remotely negative about your own life around them, no matter how simple, without them trying to one-up you like it's some kind of sick contest. There are people that feed off of pity and attention no matter how old they are.

I had a roommate like that a couple years ago, and at that time she was 25. I bring up any little thing at all just once, and she'd tell me I'm 'dwelling on the past'. But the only three things she'd talk about besides Naruto and complaining about classes and people was her ex-boyfriend, this one time when kids in middle school put food in her hair, and the fact that she grew up without much money and lived on Long Island and had to walk everywhere. And all that somehow made her better than me in her mind. I had just wanted to get something off my chest, like any normal person. Frankly I'd just moved into town and didn't really know anyone yet, so she was who I had to talk to for the moment. Guess I picked the wrong person to confide in. :/

For teens, I have to agree that hormones and lack of experience of real hardships contributes to rampant angst. In most cases at least. The rest of it is just attention-seeking and wanting the world to feel sorry for them.

Last edited:

kingofjokers

This is not a custom title!!!!
    Years
    I wouldn't say it's about overcoming adversity... moreso a cry for attention, along with (taking into account the "struggle war" you posted) the old phrase "misery loves company". Most forms of rebellion are, in fact, cries for attention, whether it positive (Lady Gaga sure as hell ain't depressed or abused), or negative, such as those you quoted.

So I guess my theory on this subject is attention-getting. If someone says they have a PhD in Quantum Physics, which is quite a feat in and of itself, you may be impressed, but its forgettable. However, if someone says they almost died X times, tried to commit suicide Y times, and are abused by Z amount of people, it raises people's eyebrows just a smidgen more.

It's not about overcoming adversity, as a number of the angsty people (the hardcore, not the recreational angsters) succumb to drugs and basically life-killing acts that demolish one's character. I think it's something far different... a desire for pity, perhaps (which is, of course, just another sub-genre of attention-getting). Also perhaps camaraderie, the feeling of fitting in with a group, even if its the group of the abused and depressed (this one's dangerous, as people in this state tend to be rather suggestible by their peers).

I wrote a haiku years ago about this kind of stuff. I called it Angst, and I'll reprint it below:

I think this basically sums up the angst/depressed/suicidal movement in this country.

I'm going to have to agree and I'm going to come out and say it I myself have done this but from my perspective its a cry for attention and also I feel like if I don't do it I'm just gonna get overlooked and be just "another guy in a lonely world." So not only a cry of attention but also the fear of being another kid no one cares about. Sorry if I sound idiotic I am only 15 you know.

femtrooper

Starfleet Commander
    Years
    I was never angry at the world because I had such wonderful things as Pokémon in my life!^^

Zebeedoo

Always remember to smile. ~
    Years
    Teenagers need lots of attention. They have hormones that are all over the place. Sometimes they may not be able to control them as well as others can. They may need to show it to others for attention, help, whatever the case. Teenagers often have mood swings, too. It can't really be helped, I supose.

dragoniteuser

The dragon master
    Years
    IMO people who have experienced harsh times are definetly more grounded and mature about theese kind of matters!
    Those who have it easy don't really know just how worse it can be so they tend to exaggerate....

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    IMO people who have experienced harsh times are definetly more grounded and mature about theese kind of matters!
    Those who have it easy don't really know just how worse it can be so they tend to exaggerate....
    I agree. I was saying this the other day. I've noticed a lot of the people with actual problems tend not to try and draw attention to themselves like this, whereas a lot of other people will be very open about their problems and use them as a crutch or exaggerate them for attention. I think most people who have actually had a really tough time would rather try and forget about it, instead of bringing it up all the time.

Although I guess I can't really blame them entirely. Society is just very negative as a whole. People who are attention-deprived or just very attention-seeking will try any method they can possibly think of to try and get that attention they want. The way so many people are, they will give all their attention to people who appear to have a "terrible life", or maybe people just find these sorts of stories more interesting to hear. Nobody will be interested in hearing a story about how amazing someone's life is, everyone loves to hear about how much suffering someone has apparently gone through. So after all other attempts have failed, the fallback option is to just try and get people to pity you with a sad story, which can often work.

I've noticed some people use it as a crutch to excuse their behaviour aswell. "Oh if I'm a ***** then it's because I've had such a hard life..." and will then rant on about a load of problems that are apparently a good enough excuse for acting terribly. It's just a by-product of all the crap that goes on in society and people trying to use it to their advantage in some way.

It could also just be getting to the point where it's considered normal to act like this. Like Kinarii said, adults do this a lot as well; there's so much negativity around everywhere, adolescents notice it and copy what they see. I'm sure the media has an impact aswell. There's negativity everywhere, along with people glorifying it. So I guess a lot of people see nothing abnormal about behaving in this way. I think it's become an instantaneous reaction with some people, they don't even think about it because it becomes part of their nature.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Being miserable and angry at the world is an important part of being a teenager. :P
    In all seriousness, I would imagine it would be a combination of raging hormones and lack of experience in the real world. Things seem a hell of a lot worse when you don't know how bad they can really get. Wacky hormones just exploit that and turn typical frustration into mind numbing rage and loneliness.
    This.

But, right now I'm probably at the stage of hating myself and wanting to go in a depression. My parents say everyone goes through that phase so I'm not really sure if its anything important.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I was never really angry as a teenager; in fact I would say I'm more depressed now than I was back then. But I've never gotten into the whole "angst" thing; I listen to the upbeat, cheerful 80's music, I watch the cute, lighthearted anime... I was hardly the typical teenager... way too happy go lucky, lol

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    I'm glad i was never angsty teen...i still have a year left so i guess it could still happen lol.

I haven't had it particularly easy, in fact i would say i have had a pretty tough life so far. I still try to stay cheerful and stuff.

I almost never sit in a corner wearing black whilst writing poetry in my blood.

Tater Tot

I used to be popular here~
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    Those hardcore angst type of people or whatever just need to have a seat. I would have pity for them but I don't because I see right through them. It's all an act to get attention and pity and it gets on my nerves. Your life is not hard. You just think it is. Someone who really had a hard life wouldn't act like you.

These people irk me so badly. XD

A Pixy

Cruel?
    Years
    I'm glad i was never angsty teen...i still have a year left so i guess it could still happen lol.

I haven't had it particularly easy, in fact i would say i have had a pretty tough life so far. I still try to stay cheerful and stuff.

I almost never sit in a corner wearing black whilst writing poetry in my blood.

Thank you for assuring that it is possible. n_n

Years
    Teenagers need constant attention, and they get it any way they can.

They might not have realized that crying about their problems don't make them go away, unlike how it may have been for them during their childhoods. They llike to portray themselves as victims of society, in hopes that someone will sympatize with them, kiss them, and tell them everything's OK. However, most don't realize that this negativity is self-defeating. Unless it's a very close friend, telling someone your sob story will probably invoke nothing more in the listener's mind than a picture of a loser. It's unfortunate, but true.

Instead, stay positive. For any guys having girl problems, especially so. Smile, and the world smiles with you.

Stellar

Minior used Cosmic Power!
    Years
    This might seem like a strange analogy, but I look at it this way: an animal bred in captivity will never be aware that there are more of its kind in the outside world. It will only know its own hardships and nothing more. To this animal, the worst thing it's ever experienced will become the worst thing that could ever happen because it isn't aware that anything worse is possible.

Humans are a lot like this. Though we are aware that there's an entire world beyond ours, we will never truly know it because we haven't seen it with our own eyes. We know of worse things that can happen to us but because we've never experienced them we can't fully appreciate that they haven't happened to us. It's kind of a paradox, really. Of course, this doesn't apply to just teenagers, but I'm going to assume that the anxiety that comes with growing up accounts for the rest of it. I wouldn't go as far as to say they can't be blamed for it (honestly they tend to piss me off just as much as the next person), but I can understand how they might feel because I think I've been guilty of this state of mind once or twice. Even my mother used to give me the whole "you're more fortunate than you know" routine and I even once remember saying, "Until there's a starving African kid on my bedroom floor, this is all I'll ever know."

o0PinkSquid0o

Squidtacular
    Years
    I've always been an angry kid but never really angsty except for the period between quitting school and starting a new job, I had 3 months where I went super angsty but I mostly kept to myself, I didn't really throw it out for all to see.
    I dont' get why people do that though, my friend used to cut herself and leave her arms out for all to see (extreme angst) but now she's older and she seems fine again.
    I think the conclusion is everyone does it for attention.

Back