• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Terror Attack Hub - REVAMP-

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
Years
  • Let me start by saying this is very sad, but, the amount of terror attacks in the recent weeks has led me to believe that the forums would get filled up very quickly if a new thread was made every time one happened. My solution is to try and group as many as I can in one 'Megathread', where I will attempt to keep information, statistics up-to-date as well as add in any new attacks to this first post.

Things to expect:
    Attacks in order from when I opened this thread on. I will not be going backwards.

A brief title as well as the date of the attack

The most up-to-date information I can find, as well as pictures and videos (May show attack locations, aftermath of attack, CCTV footage of attack or more)

Hopefully, as little personal opinion from me as possible (In

And finally, appropriate discussion, free from any insults or offensive content.

Ataturk Airport Attack
    June 28th, 2016

Late Tuesday night, 3 gunmen arrived in a taxi wearing suicide vests and opened fire at Ataturk International airport, considered one of the most secure airports in the world.

All 3 gunmen went in different directions and opened fire on as many civilians as possible, before detonating their vests. One of the gunmen was shot, though he was still able to detonate his vest (luckily after the officer go to a minimum safe distance and with noone else seemingly around.)

This image taken from the BBC shows all 3 detonation sites
    Terror Attack Hub - REVAMP-

The current death toll is 42 people with 239 injured.

Below is a capture of CCTV footage showing the gunman who was shot by a police officer

May contain disturbing images

I will change this as the once I want becomes available in something that can be mounted on the website

The airport reopened this morning after only 5 hours of investigation, as well as the labor of airport staff to clean all the trafficable areas of blood and major debris as well as the injured and deceased. This was an attempt to show some semblance of normality and that Turkey will not be stopped by terrorism.

What are your thoughts on the events? How do you feel that this is only 2 weeks since the tragic killing at the Pulse Nightclub in Orlando? How do you feel that the airport is already reopened and operating with evidence of the tragic night still everywhere?

I will try and update as new information is made available...

Bangladesh Cafe Siege
    Currently Working on this

22 Dead, 34 injured when 7 Islamist Militants stormed the Holey Artisan Cafe in Dhaka. The cafe was a popular eatery for diplomats as well as middle class families. Hostages were made to recite verses from the Qur'an. Those who failed were brutally tortured and then executed, leading to the death of 20 hostages. The remaining 2 casualties comes from two police officers who died in an exchange of gunfire with the attackers.

May contain disturbing images
    Operation Thunderbolt, conducted by the Bangladesh Army

Bombing in Baghdad

A truck packed full of explosives was detonated in the Karrada district of Baghdad during busy shopping for the end or Ramadan.

The death toll has risen to 250 people today.

Below is a 360 video of the aftermath of Baghdad. No clue how well it will work...

Suicide bombings in Saudi Arabia
    There has been a suicide bombing at The Prophet's mosque in Saudia Arabia, near the security headquarters. So far there are 4 security guard dead and 5 others injured.

A second bomb was reported in a mosque car park in the city of Qatif. The only casualty or injury reported so far is the attacker.

A third bomber blew himself up near the U.S Consulate in the city of Jeddah. Two security officers are said to have been "slightly injured."

Will update as I get more information

This Thread is a heavy WIP, but feel free to discuss any events below!

Last edited:

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
  • There's not much to say other than mankind has lost all hope. It's got to the point where no matter which way you look at it, humanity is fucked and it's only going to get worse.

Years
  • Oh god why did I watch that video

I heard on the news that this might make Turkey refocus its efforts in Syria toward fighting ISIS instead of Assad, which I guess is a good thing since ISIS is clearly the more dangerous of the two if left unchecked, but it's still going to mean more war and more people in Syria displaced and killed.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    How do you manage to effectively fight this though? The past decade or so has shown that no matter how many drone strikes and covert operations you perform they just keep on truckin', and even if you do seem to destroy one, another just pops up in its place. They managed to carry out a suicide bombing on what's supposed to be one of the most secure airports in the world. What are you realistically supposed to do about that? "Unite" sounds nice and all, but that doesn't mean much by itself.

Arsenic

Years
  • You need to both combat those who seek nothing but violence and completely eradicate them with real boots on the ground, and I don't just mean a foot up the ass from the good old USA, the U.K, Turkey, China, Russia, Germany, Brazil, Australia, France and everyone needs to put in some serious effort.

Simultaneously the world needs to attempt and help them tackle the root causes of all this aggression. A lot of the young are stuck be it economically, be it expressing your self, be it the plethora of other reasons that terror recruiters capitalize on

But then again maybe it isn't fixable. One of my favorite quotes is "America has been in a lot of controversial and dirty wars since World War 2, but when was the last time a Vietnamese terrorist bombed a metro station, or a Buddhist extremist went guns blazing at a public gathering?"

Even if we cannot beat the problem, our best bet is to unite and do our best to not only help and give back their countries from those who have already decided heavy armor is the way to go, but stay for the long run and attempt to jumpstart their economy, make sure those who want jobs can get them, and work to calm the political tension in general.

Raskolnikov

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
  • "Uniting" is bullshit after all. Because noone cares theese events. Bombings, suicide bombings, terrorist attacks etc seems normal to other people who doesn't close the where war is happening. Even while in my country, Turkey, a lot of people still doesnt want to understand and become self-awared, how can we unite by all countries and be against theese ISIS, PYD, PKK and all other fucking organisations?

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
  • The way to defeat terrorists is by making terrorism unappealing. You give people real hope and possibilities for their futures so they don't feel desperate, and you foster a sense of respect and understanding for people different from you through education.

This means that you don't exploit whole countries and regions of the world for the economic benefit of the home country. To do that we western countries need to develop not only our own energy independence through non-fossil fuels, but more importantly fair dealings with other countries in all matters of trade, as well as providing aid to countries that need it.

Basically, we need to make the whole world prosperous.

Arsenic

Years
  • The way to defeat terrorists is by making terrorism unappealing. You give people real hope and possibilities for their futures so they don't feel desperate, and you foster a sense of respect and understanding for people different from you through education.

This means that you don't exploit whole countries and regions of the world for the economic benefit of the home country. To do that we western countries need to develop not only our own energy independence through non-fossil fuels, but more importantly fair dealings with other countries in all matters of trade, as well as providing aid to countries that need it.

Basically, we need to make the whole world prosperous.

That's more or less what I was attempting to get across with my second section of my post. You have said it much better than me though, so, well said friend. Hit the nail right on the head!

Though like I said I think the current plague over there needs to be decimated first. The current terrorists, separatists, and others who seek to destabilize (if it can even be made less stable, of course) the region need to be dealt a blow from which there is no recovery.

Years
  • That's more or less what I was attempting to get across with my second section of my post. You have said it much better than me though, so, well said friend. Hit the nail right on the head!

Though like I said I think the current plague over there needs to be decimated first. The current terrorists, separatists, and others who seek to destabilize (if it can even be made less stable, of course) the region need to be dealt a blow from which there is no recovery.
    I'm no fan of war, but I guess I have to concede that there isn't any ideal way to stop terrorists who already have lots of weapons and exist in a lawless environment than to use force against them. I mean, you can incentivize some of them to leave, give some level of amnesty to people who turn themselves in because there are already lots of ISIS members who are disillusioned and want to leave but are afraid of repercussions (by ISIS and by the governments of various countries), but that won't stop the hardliners and diehard fanatics.

Years
  • Terrible, just absolutely terrible. I send condolences for the dead and I feel for all the relatives of those who have been killed or injured in these attacks, but anyways I hate hearing about awful attacks like these.

Hate ISIS for a lot of things and horrible attacks like this just adds to my reasons to hate them.

Arsenic

Years
  • In response to the recent situation in Bangladesh as well as the even more recent bombing in Iraq, I am going to convert this to a terrorism megathread.

As sad as it is, there have been too many attacks to keep making new threads every time...

It's a sad state our world is in...

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    This is terrible. I think instead of waiting around, as soon as a terrorism force becomes apparent, every country should take immediate action to destroy it.

Years
  • Actually I think that there is no way "destroying" the terrorism.
    Terrorists can be everywhere, every time. Just with a bomb inside his jacket.
    I think there is no way to protect from something like that.
    But, that's my opinion, maybe there is something which I didn't think.

Cariad

world.search(you);
    Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2023
    absolutely horrible. my condolences to the families of those lost & those affected in any way. it's unbelievable to think these events still take place on a regularly basis in today's world. :( i wish i could offer an opinion or advice on what should be done to stop these attacks, but honestly i couldn't say.

if it helps, try not to focus too much on how humanity's 'lost all hope' and nothing can be done; try and focus on all the people trying to help & console those affected and the good people who try their best to prevent these attacks and heal people after they take place. of course, they shouldn't be happening in the first place - but humanity isn't all bad. there are always going to bad people who do bad things, but that just means there are twice as many good people willing to lend a hand.

Arsenic

Years
  • Looks like I need a new video for the Ataturk attack. I suppose someone's lower torso remains sliding across the floor is a valid violation of violent content policy.

Well, Now that I'm home I'm going to redo this thread to incorporate all recent as well as the inevitable future attacks.

Her

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    How disheartening it is that we need a megathread to incorporate news of recent terrorism.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • For visibility's sake, these need to not be grouped in all together. We cannot accept terrorism as something that happens so regularly that we can no longer spend the time to acknowledge each act on its own. It's so important that we don't start viewing terrorism as such a normal thing that we can address it all at once - to get the severity of how bad it's been recently across, it is imperative that the media, social networks, etc. are absolutely flooded with stories about terror attacks. Once we start listing them off, they become irrelevant and lose their impact and we become conditioned to hearing about them and it fades into the background like all of the other unacceptable things that happen in everyday life.

By the way, isn't just a dig at your thread, Arsenic - I appreciate what you're trying to do for the community's sake. I certainly hope you don't feel like I'm attacking you here since this is not at all an isolated incident, but I feel like this is becoming an issue which lots of places, not just PC, are massing into single reports and imo it's really not the right way to go about it. Maybe this in itself can be a discussion point for this thread.

Arsenic

Years
  • I suppose that is one way to see this. But your point of having individual threads for every attack was why I made this into a joint thread. There were no other threads. I was surprised the day after it happened there was no thread made on the Ataturk airport attack, so I made one. More things happened and no one made a thread for it. There was no thread on Bangladesh Cafe siege. There was no thread for the bombing in Iraq which killed One Hundred and Sixty Five people, that's almost FOUR TIMES the death of the Turkey attack. I didn't really give a chance for anyone to make a thread on Saudi Arabia bombings I suppose.

Point is, there were all these attacks that seemed to be ignored. It seems if it isn't on U.S soil, or English, or some other Western country no one really cares here. With that if I don't add them to this thread as they happen they probably wont get any coverage at all.

Another thing I'm trying to do here is provide a central location where people can find as accurate statistics and information as I can muster, as well as a safe and insult free location for discussion and debate on the events and action that can be taken to prevent further events or whatever other on-subject things want to be talked about.

In short and probably more in focus
    I made this into a megathread because I saw a lot of attacks being ignored. I also wanted to provide an information hub/record of attacks, their statistics, and supplemental media so people can not only see the horror in the big picture, but also see the destruction and damage caused and be more motivated to do something (or at least push friends and family to push your country leaders to do something)

My hope in the end is that someone will be able to scroll down my first post and be able to see the devastation of these events, the damage and the casualties and be motivated to try and do something.

I also want to attempt to keep misinformation away and try and prevent the "all muslims are doing this" mindset here.

I think I need to change the title to better reflect that I'm not slopping everything into one thread but attempting to create an information hub of sorts.

Wow this ended up being way longer than I wanted it to be. Most of it probably doesn't make sense to boot.

Years
  • For visibility's sake, these need to not be grouped in all together. We cannot accept terrorism as something that happens so regularly that we can no longer spend the time to acknowledge each act on its own. It's so important that we don't start viewing terrorism as such a normal thing that we can address it all at once - to get the severity of how bad it's been recently across, it is imperative that the media, social networks, etc. are absolutely flooded with stories about terror attacks. Once we start listing them off, they become irrelevant and lose their impact and we become conditioned to hearing about them and it fades into the background like all of the other unacceptable things that happen in everyday life.
    I don't really disagree with anything you've said, but I think there is also value in aggregating the information about the various attacks so that the scale of it all is something people also see. Like, someone might hear that there was a bombing somewhere and if they don't look into it or read about it or watch a news report about it, when they hear about an attack in Medina they might think it was the same one they heard about when they head about the Istanbul airport. They might leave with the idea that there was one attack and while even one attack is bad, people being what they are someone might not get the right impression of the what's going on in the world without a summary of sorts.

Back