• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

that guy [TCTI v 8]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raikou

bolt-action thunder
Years
    • Age 34
    • NY
    • Seen Nov 12, 2015

I was actually just thinking of starting a new Platinum replay earlier today. I probably will wind up doing that soon.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023

Sheesh, they really don't tell you how to activate the Looker post-game quest in X&Y

First ya gotta get Diantha's Ralts and battle Calem/Serena and THEN you get the call from him...

X&Y's post-game content is so...errrgh...

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015

Meanwhile everyone else wails about how new Pokemon games are too easy...Game Freak can't win

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023

I play Pokemon for the story, not the gameplay

*casually murders thousands of innocent creatures, kills people's pets, takes their money and saves the world*

...I can see why Red left to go live on a mountain

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015

Nope, all I'm saying is that if some people are complaining the game holds your hand and tells you what to do too much and others are complaining that the game isn't clear enough on what you need to do, then no matter what GF does they lose.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years

Yeah, and that seems intentional. Honestly, as much as I like the first two generations, I have absolutely nothing against them making the story easy, because it's a very simple matter to make the game difficult for yourself if you really want to. I've done it. Had a lot of trouble against Cynthia in Platinum because of it. And a little with a version of Cyrus.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023

The only way I ever beat Cynthia's Garchomp was by using my Luxray and Staraptor's intimidate abilities to lower its attack so I could survive its earthquake

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years

Still wish they'd bring back challenge mode.

And less ridiculously easy rivals. That don't ask you if you're ready every time you battle.

Cynthia was pretty much the perfect champion. :D

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years

Having a hard mode would be the greatest. And for an entire team, it probably wouldn't take too long to implement.

Seriously, if there were a toggle-able difficulty, a lot of people would be happy. Me included. Not sure why they only introduced it as a one-off idea for one version.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Having a hard mode would be the greatest. And for an entire team, it probably wouldn't take too long to implement.

Unless you're coding it yourself you can't really make assumptions on how long it'll take to do something. If they wanted to do it right it would take a lot of work. Like how some bosses are really easy to beat but tedious because they gave the boss 1000000000 HP to try to make it hard? They can't just raise the levels. If they want to make a real hard mode they need improve the AI of the trainers which is far more complex.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years

Unless you're coding it yourself you can't really make assumptions on how long it'll take to do something. If they wanted to do it right it would take a lot of work. Like how some bosses are really easy to beat but tedious because they gave the boss 1000000000 HP to try to make it hard? They can't just raise the levels. If they want to make a real hard mode they need improve the AI of the trainers which is far more complex.
    I don't really need to code it, myself; I have a pretty understanding of how Pokemon works. Really, they wouldn't even need to change AI, they could easily steer the AI with movesets. Pokemon uses items and moves as they deem necessary, and the RNG for what move will be used is chosen based on the move that is chosen by the player. -Not optimally, mind you. There's a good bit of randomness in there both to avoid a future-seeing cheating A.I. and to make it so that the AI isn't too smart.

So I can see where the trouble would be. The A.I. isn't dumb, exactly. It knows what Pokemon is weak against what but it doesn't learn from the moves used (which, as generations go on, is more and more reasonable). But tightening that would require something of a learning AI, something that changes its tune to right its wrongs, and that sort of algorithmic concept isn't really there in Pokemon. They have little to work off of in that sense.

And I see what you mean, I haven't seen the code so I can't say what its like, but I think estimating and assuming are two very different things in this case, and I think, on a conceptual level and even a logical level, assumption is a perfectly fine course of action, especially considering GF's current size.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015

Eh, agree to disagree. From the experience I've gained coding as a career, assuming anything will be fast/easy from the perspective of an outsider is almost always misguided. Everything looks easy and quick until you have to actually do it.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    You want a hard boss?

Look at Golden Sun's Dullahan

Not only can he one-shot your characters with one attack (unless you have insanely high defense and are are level 70-80) he can use your own summons against you, curse you and disable all your Djinn

ALL IN ONE TURN

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015

That was the game where I told the guy I wouldn't save the world just to see what would happen and the game actually ended...I was impressed.

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
    Years

And I have yet to play a Golden Sun game :( I would love an RPG , where if you said NO to "save the world", then it becomes a life simulator or your battles will be against the dangers of Rats and Snakes, and over-bearing managers xD. But that is wishful thinking.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back