• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

That's not really a signature move...

Guest123_x1

Of the hundreds of different moves in the Pokémon games, some are used exclusively by a single Pokémon or evolutionary lineup, known as that Pokémon's "signature move". Then, there's those other moves that are not officially "signature" because they are available to several different Pokémon, but are still commonly associated with a particular Pokémon.

What moves that do not qualify as "signature" do you commonly associate with a single Pokémon or evolutionary lineup? Name both the move and the Pokémon you associate it with.

Even though Sand-Attack has been available to several different Pokémon lineups even in Generation I, I have always associated this move with Pidgey.
    Although Splash can be learned by Hoppip and a few others, I still commonly associate it with Magikarp. Same thing with Hyper Fang and Rattata/Raticate.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • TIL Bone Rush and Weather Ball aren't signature moves. They both used to be, but it seems like a few generations ago Game Freak decided to tighten up the rules regarding signature moves, and a lot of non-legendaries lost their monopoly on certain moves.

I've also always associated Brick Break with Machoke, even though literally tons of Pokémon can learn it. Same for Telekinesis and Kadabra. I didn't even know other Pokémon could learn Splash haha. That move is just so obviously associated with Magikarp that it'll never remind anyone of anything else.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    V-create even though rayquaza can learn it in that one event.

Also transform and ditto,
    Lugia and punishment

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • Also transform and ditto
    Wow, can't believe I left out Transform! Obviously that one has to be associated with Ditto since it's his only move lol.

Also, I looked this up a moment ago - I didn't realize that Zoroark couldn't learn Transform *facepalms*. I've never used that Pokémon myself and just assumed that it works the same as Ditto and Mew rather than being Ability-based. TIL x2!

Years
  • This is quite a common move but I always associate Flamethrower with the Charmander line, I guess it's cause of the influences of the original games and anime.

Years
  • Razor Shell.

I know the move is learned by other Pokemon, but the move is most heavily associated with Oshawott. I blame the anime and the move's animation as the reason why I first thought it was exclusive to Oshawott and its evolutions.

Guest123_x1

Even though Jolteon could learn Pin Missile even in Generation I, and lots of other Pokémon since then can as well; when hearing or reading about that move, I always think of Beedrill.

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
    Years
  • I don't know why, but I always associate Aura Sphere with Lucario, since it is the "aura Pokémon", but I know others can learn it, such as Togekiss.

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
    Years
  • wait wtf they can??

my whole life was a lie. I thought it was Lucario's signature for the past... 9 years?

Some legendaries can learn it as well, such as Palkia, Dialga, Giratina and Mewtwo (from what I saw in Bulbapedia).... oh... and Clawitzer can learn it at lvl 67 XD

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • For me it's Sawsbuck and Horn Leech!
    Oh and Dragonite and Outrage, for some reason.

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
  • - I always associate Flame Wheel with Cyndaquil and its evolutions.
    - Even though Mega Horn stopped being Heracross' signature move after Gen 2, I still associate that move with that Pokemon.
    - Ominous Wind and Drifblim.
    - I still associate Assist with Skitty even though some Pokemon were able to learn the move through breeding since Gen 3 and it can be learned by Glameow and Purrloin through level up.
    - Psycho Cut and Gallade. The attack animation suits it very well.

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    Apart from the ones already mentioned, I always associated Earthquake with Groudon, even though I obviously knew that there are loads of other Pokemon that can learn the move as well. Leaf Blade I still link to Sceptile, despite the fact that it lost its signature move status once Gen IV. (And I just looked up that apparently Bellossom can learn it?) I also associate Crunch with Mightyena and Thunder Wave with Electrike, for some reason.

HyperMorian

Busy with University.
    Years
  • During the ADV generation, I always thought the Regi Trio's Superpower are their signature move. Apparently not a lot of Pokémon can't learn it in Gen 3 with the exception of Nidoqueen and Deoxys Attack Forme at level 43 (FR/LG) and 30 (FR only), respectively. since there's no eligible Move Tutor for that, which is later added from Gen 4 onward. :/

AleXShi1

Keep it real
    Years
  • Before Oras brought in Origin Pulse, P Blades and Dragon Ascent i thought that Water Spout, Eruption and Outrage were Kyogre , Groudon and Rayquaza's signatures,they looked really Op before realising in Hgss a bunch of other mons got those moves

Back