• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The 3DS Information/Discussion Thread

bobandbill

one more time
Years
  • Well the lack of big sellers atm probably isn't helping them, so I suppose this will help sales pick up before the next few come through (as good as OoT may be it is a remake and only one game), along with the fact that the Vita was priced similarly. (Although not that many consoles start off well anyway at lunch - I think the DS went worse itself and had less good titles in its first year compared to what can be expected of the 3DS). This seems to be a fix for that and the free games offer for those who have it already is pretty neat as it doesn't leave us out, so to speak. That and arguably the free games would be worth more than the price drop... but well, judge for youself - the names thrown about atm aren't obscure titles that didn't sell well after all.
    Since Nintendo 3DS launched in the United States on March 27, more than 830,000 people in the U.S. alone have purchased one to enjoy 3D visuals without the need for special glasses. These Nintendo 3DS owners represent some of Nintendo's most loyal customers, and Nintendo is rewarding them for getting in on the action early with 20 free downloadable games from the Nintendo eShop.

These free games are available to anyone who owns a Nintendo 3DS system and uses a wireless broadband Internet signal to connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11. These users will automatically be registered in the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador program. The program contains two elements:

Starting Sept. 1, Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors will be able to download 10 NES™ Virtual Console™ games at no charge and before they are available in the Nintendo eShop to the general public. These games, including Super Mario Bros.™, Donkey Kong Jr.™, Balloon Fight™, Ice Climber™ and The Legend of Zelda™, are slated to become paid downloadable games, but Ambassadors get them early for free. Once the paid versions of the games are posted to the Nintendo eShop later in the year, the updated versions will be available to Ambassadors for download at no cost.

By the end of 2011, Nintendo will provide Ambassadors with 10 Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games. These include games like Yoshi's Island™: Super Mario™ Advance 3, Mario Kart™: Super Circuit, Metroid™ Fusion, WarioWare™, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ and Mario vs. Donkey Kong™. These games will be available exclusively to Ambassadors, and Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on the Nintendo 3DS in the future.

More details about this program will be announced in the future.

Years
  • Well, if I am honest, I am not really interested in any of those games that they have to offer. I only like LoZ and WarioWare. But you know, can't really complain because they are free.​

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Myself, I wouldn't mind trying them and as I haven't played any of those (bar a couple of the nes as demos) before they are hence worth more to me as well!

Years
  • That is fair enough and I think they are being clever about it. I don't know how many people have played all those games, personally I have but only because I had those consoles when I was younger.

The chances are that most people haven't played them, so it will appeal to people. They did a better job than Sony's release as they were all recent games and most people had played them.​

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I think I'm going to enjoy the fact that I'll be playing Yoshi's Island sooner or later on my 3DS! I played the heck out of that back when I was a kid on my GBA.

CrowSama

Too. Much. Caffine.
    Years
  • CAnt wait for the price drop so i can get one :D

Seconded! I'm really excited about the 3DS, I was when it was announced! When they announced the price, I heard my already empty wallet scream and have a heart attack. I'm glad, I'm finnaly going to get one!

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • Hehe I'm glad I waited. But I'm still gonna wait. I don't need one unless BW's successor will be on 3DS. The price drop should get more sold though.

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • I'll probably get a 3DS because of the price drop, but sad I won't be able to get Ambassador-exclusive GBA games.

Years
  • thank goodness the price is dropping
    I don't even know what they were thinking releasing it at such a steep price.
    I'm hesitant to buy it, though. I'm sure a 3DS Lite or something will be coming out sometime next year.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • ^ that's pretty much how I'm feeling too, haha.
    Well, you have an option. Either $100 of free games or a $100 price drop. Your choice.
    Or buy it from a place with a price guarantee, register for the free games, then go back and adjust the price after the drop. :D

Jared

Some Cool Kid
    Years
  • I'm all for the price drop, and WILL be buying it. It's not like the NES/GBA games are going to be in 3D, so I don't feel like paying $80 more games I already own/could download and emulate at anytime.

NatureKeeper

I spend $250 on a system that is $90 cheaper afterwards.

Well, at least I get exclusives.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
  • I bought this for $250 but it's my money and it was my decision to be so impatient... But 20 games are worth it IMO, especially if 10 of those games are exclusive to "ambassadors."

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    This seems pretty good. I feel as if this is a sort of replacement for having to pay $249.99 USD for a 3DS, and the extra $80 that we had to spend will be replaced by tese games. I just really hope that Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire will be available, but I really wouldn't mind trying a free game. Also, Super Mario Advance 3 is particularly exciting to me. When I first got my GBA, I got this game, so I would love to play it again, especially since it was one of my first video games.

Back